HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:42 PM

Water & Waste has limits on how much water you can pump into the sewer. All depends on the size and condition of the sewer.

Also has to be relatively clean. You can't just pump dirty water from a hole bottom into the sewer. It'll cause sedimentation, which the City would then have to deal with. Holding and settling tanks would deal with that it seems.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 2:33 PM

So just a quick question as Im a little confused, is the residential stuff on Graham guaranteed to go?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:04 PM

Haven't heard anything really on tower 2. It's supposed to be complete 2019, tower 1 completion is 2018. I'd assume we'll see something over the next year on condo marketing.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
So just a quick question as Im a little confused, is the residential stuff on Graham guaranteed to go?
Unless the plan is condo (individual unit ownership) with a fall back to apartments (single owner of the most of the units) it would be dependent on sales like all condo projects. That level of detail on the specific project has not been shared though.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 4:18 PM

^ I don't think they've ever clarified whether Tower 2 is going to be apartment or condo... which seems a bit odd?

Given that Longboat is putting the finishing touches on Glasshouse and the Sutton Place Residences will presumably be under way soon, it does seem that there's a chance Tower 2 could be apartments... which would be great in the sense that construction would likely begin soon and not be dependent on sales as condos generally are.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:46 PM

^^ I wonder if they might build the minimum shell for tower 2 as condos and then maybe finish the units as they are sold. It is definitely a higher risk proposition but between the Jets and Moose players they do have a captive audience to potentially sell units to...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ I wonder if they might build the minimum shell for tower 2 as condos and then maybe finish the units as they are sold. It is definitely a higher risk proposition but between the Jets and Moose players they do have a captive audience to potentially sell units to...
Even if every player bought a condo you're still talking only around 50 units, and I know this is pure speculation but I doubt they'd be interested in living downtown next to the rink... not all that many people seem interested in living right next to their workplaces.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Even if every player bought a condo you're still talking only around 50 units, and I know this is pure speculation but I doubt they'd be interested in living downtown next to the rink... not all that many people seem interested in living right next to their workplaces.
Yeah a few of the younger guys live in downtown apartments but most have their own houses. Don't forget, they're at the IcePlex more than the MTS Centre, so living next to MTS isn't that big of a deal.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 8:08 PM

Sort of interesting watching the housing market close to the IcePlex. Based on what I see it doesn't seem that is where the players are living either.

It could just be how far removed I am from the situations but I think there is some element of market either as temporary or permanent housing with the Jets and Moose that could benefit from TNS having condos they could rent/sell as players come into the market. If the GM picks up the phone today and acquires you that doesn't leave a lot of time for you to find a place to call home tomorrow...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 8:17 PM

Apparently a number of Jets live in Headingley. There are some nice shacks in the south area.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Sort of interesting watching the housing market close to the IcePlex. Based on what I see it doesn't seem that is where the players are living either.

It could just be how far removed I am from the situations but I think there is some element of market either as temporary or permanent housing with the Jets and Moose that could benefit from TNS having condos they could rent/sell as players come into the market. If the GM picks up the phone today and acquires you that doesn't leave a lot of time for you to find a place to call home tomorrow...
It could make sense to keep a unit for players that are recalled from the minors since there is a period of time that the team has to cover a rental for them (not sure if that would apply for the Jets anymore though since the Moose are in the same city).

Selling or renting out company owned units would be a pretty slippery slope in terms of the NHL CBA and cap circumvention. Nothing of value outside of the players salary can be give by the team or a team entity. Providing housing would certainly be a red flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Apparently a number of Jets live in Headingley. There are some nice shacks in the south area.
Pretty sure Chipman lives out there. Kane was living in the condos on Academy opposite St. Mary's school.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 10:46 PM

Chipman most definitely lives inside the city of Winnipeg.

In terms of renting condos to players, it could be setup in such a way as to avoid the type of conflict of interest that would run into trouble with the CBA. For example if Longboat was the owner and was renting the units at a fair market rate that would likely be okay. The Longboat "Hockey Rental Unit" branch though could have conditions on their rentals are only available to pro hockey players and that would most likely not violate the CBA.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Chipman most definitely lives inside the city of Winnipeg.

In terms of renting condos to players, it could be setup in such a way as to avoid the type of conflict of interest that would run into trouble with the CBA. For example if Longboat was the owner and was renting the units at a fair market rate that would likely be okay. The Longboat "Hockey Rental Unit" branch though could have conditions on their rentals are only available to pro hockey players and that would most likely not violate the CBA.
Strange I know several people who said he lives in headingley. In addition to this article http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...245655191.html which talks about his neighbour in headingley.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 1:42 PM

"The Oaks" is within the City of Winnipeg, however many consider it Headingly and yes many Jets live there. Many rent, not own.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
"The Oaks" is within the City of Winnipeg, however many consider it Headingly and yes many Jets live there. Many rent, not own.
Not surprising. If you're a millionaire, you'll naturally look for "the best", and in Winnipeg, as much as we might hate to admit it, a downtown condo is not "the best".

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Strange I know several people who said he lives in headingley. In addition to this article http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...245655191.html which talks about his neighbour in headingley.
The article says "his neighbour and friend out Headingley way" picking words very careful to draw the line.

The Oaks community as a whole is actually on the footprint of what was once the Chipman family farm from what I have been told.

Last edited by CoryB; Mar 11, 2016 at 3:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not surprising. If you're a millionaire, you'll naturally look for "the best", and in Winnipeg, as much as we might hate to admit it, a downtown condo is not "the best".
And if you are a relatively 'simple' guy from the suburbs of a mid-sized city or large town with a young family (which is most hockey players) you are likely to seek out an environment similar to what you grew up in.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Yes in the Oaks. That's Chipmans development. He also lives there and so did Ladd. Ladd was renting Fehrs new home he built the first season before being traded. I've worked on Chipmans property a few years ago.

Last edited by Bluenote; Mar 11, 2016 at 5:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 5:52 PM

Heard in on the grapevine that MPI's service centre in northeast corner of cityplace is moving down to the south wing past Rexall so a restaurant can go in the NE corner.

This would be fantastic news if it happens.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 7:48 PM

it would make more sense to move the Orthodontist out to the "City Place annex" and use that and the soon to be vacated Liquor Store space under the Shark Club. Or use the large space where the Asia Gift store use to be than move the MPI service center out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan