HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Personal anecdote. I have a godson who is now 4. He's a leafs fan despite everyone's strongest efforts to deter him haha. He watched them on TV, got excited watching the game, and is now a fan. He goes as far as to take off his Jets jersey when Dad put's it on him. Like takes it off and whips it to the floor. Now every time it's Saturday night, guess who's on tv. Further reinforces his fandom.
Have the parents considered returning it? ... the kid not the jersey... obviously

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 9:28 PM

^^ yeah all the HNIC coverage for sure has an effect... I was regretfully a Leafs fan when I first got into hockey as a little kid because they were just the default team on TV. I'm sure the same is happening with today's youth and the non-stop coverage of Matthews Marner & company. But I grew out of it, you have to be pretty damn basic to be a grown adult who just likes whatever the CBC executives tell you to like.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Personal anecdote. I have a godson who is now 4. He's a leafs fan despite everyone's strongest efforts to deter him haha. He watched them on TV, got excited watching the game, and is now a fan. He goes as far as to take off his Jets jersey when Dad put's it on him. Like takes it off and whips it to the floor. Now every time it's Saturday night, guess who's on tv. Further reinforces his fandom.
Yeah that's another thing that may be a part of younger generations of Winnipeggers wearing Leafs gear: the constant barrage of Maple Leaf-centred sports media gets to kids - my son loves the Jets but thinks of Matthews like he's Gretzky or something. Plus the random x-factors that influence why kids love what they do - my daughter tells me the boys in her class all worshipped the Columbus Blue Jackets(?!) last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Are you referring to the Winnipeg Maple Leafs, or the Toronto Maple Leafs? The former was probably a little before their time, but they did Challenge the Wanderers for the Stanley Cup once.
Woah, that's going way back. Yeah I meant the Toronto Maple Leafs. I don't know what my Winnipeg relatives were fans of circa 1907, other than temperance and singing Methodist hymns.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 11:38 PM
BANNED

Hopefully marginal TSN Jets colour guy Sawyer is on permanent hiatus after his tone deaf and disturbing hazing story about a player under him when he was an assistant coach (to Bill racist Peters) in Spokane of the WHL!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Hopefully marginal TSN Jets colour guy Sawyer is on permanent hiatus after his tone deaf and disturbing hazing story about a player under him when he was an assistant coach (to Bill racist Peters) in Spokane of the WHL!
Did he tell this on air?

And yeah, Ferraro is such a beauty... hard to go back to Sawyer or anyone else after Ray calls a game haha.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:13 PM

^ Yeah, it was a bit of an eyebrow raiser. It was during that game vs. Minnesota a couple of weeks ago. I don't get the online lynch mob calling for his head though, it's not like this happened last month... I can accept that people change. I think hazing is dumb and the obsession with shaving in particular is exceptionally stupid, but if you start firing all the guys who were around when that stuff happened there won't be anyone left.

He also put his foot in his mouth during another recent game when Scheif got nailed by a slapshot and he was trying to convey how 55 was able to withstand it because of how strong he is, but he blurted out something along the lines of "you should see him in his underwear!"

All I can say is that if I had to talk into a live mic for 3 hours a night multiple times a year, I'd probably step in it on a regular basis...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:09 PM

But you haven’t seen Shceif in his underwear, have you?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:16 PM

The thing is, seems TNSE / TSN have put the muzzle on everyone. Nobody talks about it. People call into 1290 and they get hung up on. Just acknowledge it, make an apology or something and move on. Covering it up is the worst thing you can do. Basically you're supporting hazing by covering it up.

Taping a guy to a column is pretty light in terms of hazing. It's when it gets into a sexual nature that I draw the line. Getting guys naked and shit like that is unacceptable. Or continuously belittling and berating people. Racism.

But if it's stuff like taping up a guys clothes into a ball, or things like that. It's meant to be a bonding thing. Have some fun. Just don't get carried away.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 5:47 AM
BANNED

Jets below .400 since Dec. 10th

Time for coaching change, Maurice is done!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Yeah, it was a bit of an eyebrow raiser. It was during that game vs. Minnesota a couple of weeks ago. I don't get the online lynch mob calling for his head though, it's not like this happened last month... I can accept that people change. I think hazing is dumb and the obsession with shaving in particular is exceptionally stupid, but if you start firing all the guys who were around when that stuff happened there won't be anyone left.

He also put his foot in his mouth during another recent game when Scheif got nailed by a slapshot and he was trying to convey how 55 was able to withstand it because of how strong he is, but he blurted out something along the lines of "you should see him in his underwear!"

All I can say is that if I had to talk into a live mic for 3 hours a night multiple times a year, I'd probably step in it on a regular basis...
Hazing was hugely on the radar at the time this occurred (2005). There was a big scandal in the MJHL in Winkler either that season or the one before. The Aliu-Downie incident happened that season. It was already zero tolerance and regularly in the news. At the time I was just starting to coach high school basketball as well as with a travel club team and each season we had to go to a clinic where a large part of it was about managing teams of players the same age as guys in WHL and zero tolerance for hazing.

The fact that Sawyer was dumb enough in the current environment to mention this event which occurred when he was an authority figure (along with the already disgraced Bill Peters) to a bunch of children/18-19 year olds is appalling in itself. The guy must be incredibly stupid, like not even smart enough to cover his own tracks, a special level of stupid. This comment came within weeks of the Bill Peters situation. Like seriously how would you end up giggling about a hazing event on a youth (15-19) team he coached that you were an assistant coach with on television??? There's no way around the fact he was glorifying hazing, so the "people change" stuff is moot IMO.

Also added nothing to the broadcast, like most of his commentary. The Jets and TSN need to do a lot better.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 1:22 PM

Jets don’t make the playoffs.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 3:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
Jets don’t make the playoffs.
Jets need to seriously look at the direction this team is going in, same GM for 8 seasons and the team is going no where, it’s time Mr. It’s a Process is shown the door.

To Maurice's Defense it’s pretty hard to find success with a mostly AHL defence all season long, Morrissey and Poink are okay but both are undersized, Poolman is okay for a bottom pairing D man but the rest are AHL level.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:19 PM

^ Who would do any better with the current defence? How does Chevy escape scrutiny here? I don't think Scotty Bowman in his prime would have done much better if you had replaced Byfuglien, Trouba and Myers with Pionk, Sbisa and Bitetto.

This team has solid offense and generally reliable goaltending. It is the total lack of defence that's just killing them.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:21 PM
Starring as himself

Jets have been pretty successful over the past 8+ seasons, probably at or slightly above average. What more do you expect? Every team has the same salary cap, hockey has been reduced to a science with every team trying to push exactly the same buttons to gain an advantage. The result is that the vast majority of teams are of approximately the same quality and "success" or "lack of success" in any given season is mostly the result of luck.

If there is some genius GM out there who can consistently outsmart the other teams, I doubt he's coming to Winnipeg, or staying long if he does.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:31 PM

I get that everyone faces the same constraints with the salary cap and what not, but way the Byfuglien situation has played out has contributed mightily toward this season becoming a writeoff. No Byfuglien, no effective plan B either. I have a hard time accepting that this was the best possible way of handling things.

I'm not saying that this is all on Cheveldayoff, but with so many people calling for Maurice's head I'm not sure that any coach in the league could suddenly turn a team that gives Pionk and Sbisa huge minutes every night into a contender.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Jets have been pretty successful over the past 8+ seasons, probably at or slightly above average. What more do you expect? Every team has the same salary cap, hockey has been reduced to a science with every team trying to push exactly the same buttons to gain an advantage. The result is that the vast majority of teams are of approximately the same quality and "success" or "lack of success" in any given season is mostly the result of luck.

If there is some genius GM out there who can consistently outsmart the other teams, I doubt he's coming to Winnipeg, or staying long if he does.
I think Chevy overplayed his hand in regards to Trouba and that really screwed up the whole contending window. Like you mentioned in the cap system but also this market (unlikely to attract significant free agents) a GM has to be acutely aware of the time to push all in but also when to move guys along who aren't here for the long-haul.

IMO there were two options when Trouba held out in 16, same summer Laine, Morrissey and Connor came in.

1) Deal Trouba and hopefully add another core piece or two with similar amount of team control, likely one player and one pick.

2) Hang on to Trouba realizing that the window with the mix of the older core and the younger core was going to be blown up in the 19 off-season as Laine, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba needed deals or needed to be moved. This means that the Jets had to push all-in for 17-18 and 18-19. Make big moves in the summers to add core pieces and maximize the cap space afforded with lots of core guys on ELC's or cheaper deals.

Chevy did neither and played it right down the middle. In the end he gave up big assets at both trade deadlines and in the summer of 18 to dump Steve Mason's contract, a legit middle 6 and top PKing forward on a good deal in Armia.

The Jets are essentially in a rebuild at the point. They have some key pieces who haven't reached their late 20's yet but they'll have to replace the core guys aging out. If they make the right moves they should be able to contend again in a couple years. Laine's long-term deal and what that number comes in at will be a huge one.

In terms of Maurice I do not believe there is anything special about him. He is basically a mediocre coach with a long history of being mediocre. I don't trust him to get the most out of any roster. I don't expect he'll be the coach the next time the Jets are legitimate contenders. He's already on borrowed time based on how the NHL moves coaches along nowadays.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 5:32 PM

Here's some answers, kind of. Sawyer was on a regularly scheduled holiday after that broadcast. Going to be addressing what he said next Tuesday on air.

Quote:
Silence turns TSN Jets analyst Sawyer's blunder into big deal that isn't

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...567089982.html

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Jets below .400 since Dec. 10th

Time for coaching change, Maurice is done!
Long overdue

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 3:16 AM
BANNED

Helly with another soft game and the Jets really exposed again!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 4:21 AM

I can accept the fact that the team is basically in rebuild mode, but damn, I didn't expect the team's long awaited run as a league powerhouse to last just two seasons

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan