HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
So does Ireland, trouble with roundabouts here is that no one knows how to use them!
Maybe in 2007 that might have been the case, but there have been enough of them built over the last decade that I'd say most people are generally familiar with them.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 1:51 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I just noticed one thing: SK-7 Vanscoy Bypass is still not showing up on Google Map.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:02 PM

Brought this over from the other thread at Denglers request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Here is the highway:
http://www.brandonareaplanning.mb.ca...s/Highways.pdf

Here is the north gateway secondary plan proposal:
http://brandon.ca/images/pdf/plannin...mber4_2013.pdf

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:22 PM

Some updates on proposed Saskatoon Freeway

https://saskatoonfreeway.org/phase-1/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 7:37 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Some updates on proposed Saskatoon Freeway

https://saskatoonfreeway.org/phase-1/
Am I the only one who finds it odd that the Saskatoon Freeway is not enclosed, much like the West Regina Bypass?

I just find it odd that both projects involve making 3/4 of an entire circle.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 3:45 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Also, does anyone have the link to MB-1 Deacon Corners Bypass? Thanks in advance. Initially, I thought that the proximity of Petro Canada wouldn’t be a concern because (I thought) there would be enough space in the median to put in the overpasses. It turned out that such median doesn’t exist... Now that I think about it, with the Petro Canada and rail track so close to the highway, TCH’s better off realigned.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 8:23 PM

We’ll have flying cars by then.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Also, does anyone have the link to MB-1 Deacon Corners Bypass? Thanks in advance. Initially, I thought that the proximity of Petro Canada wouldn’t be a concern because (I thought) there would be enough space in the median to put in the overpasses. It turned out that such median doesn’t exist... Now that I think about it, with the Petro Canada and rail track so close to the highway, TCH’s better off realigned.
Could be wrong but I think that was just an SSP'er drawing. I'm not aware of any official plan for a realignment.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 9:43 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Could be wrong but I think that was just an SSP'er drawing. I'm not aware of any official plan for a realignment.
I saw it too. He drew a diamond at Deacon’s Corner, though, which I’m starting to disagree with. I will draw my proposal of TCH/207 and Perimeter Highway/TCH (Fermor Avenue) when I get to it.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 3:58 PM

There is no actual public study of Deacon's Corner. Biff drew up a nice sketch in Google earth. I think the diamond was north of the current intersection, pushed away from the railway. having the railway 100' from the highway is not good for any type of grade seps.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:08 PM
What could go wrong?

This is what I envisioned years ago.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:09 PM

Yippee. It makes sense. doesn't really add any new curves into the highway. just relocates them from at the floodway bridges to east of deacon.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:10 PM
There is always a way

Yeah it wouldn't be the most disruptive project. Just need to move a couple access roads and maybe add a rail over pass to the 207. One homeowner would be displaced.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:37 PM

Pie in the sky for #1. Diamond interchanges at Deacon, Realigned Station Road to the west, 206, and the east end of 207 connecting to Rosewood Rd on the north side. There's your freeway out to #12. 4 diamonds required.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:14 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

My bad, I thought you were referring to the diamond at 207 as pie in the sky. I guess your proposal will be one in terms of funding, but in terms of engineering that’s the way to go.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Feb 10, 2020 at 5:42 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:40 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
There is no actual public study of Deacon's Corner. Biff drew up a nice sketch in Google earth. I think the diamond was north of the current intersection, pushed away from the railway. having the railway 100' from the highway is not good for any type of grade seps.
Now that I think about the last part a bit more, this isn’t entirely true. Just look at Turcot Interchange in Montreal. In Ontario, 401 through eastern GTA is very close to the tracks, yet the grade-separations are just fine.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:49 PM

Yes of course. Just like the Perimter/#1 interchange has the bridges over the tracks. But it requires grade seps which cost millions. Add that up over the 4 interchanges I mentioned and it increases cost significantly.

How would you fit a diamond interchange at Deacon with the railway right there? Or any of those locations really. It becomes difficult and messy. Having no railway there is much easier. Seeing as how the province recently rebuilt that entire stretch, I doubt there are nay plans for this anyways.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:51 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Yes of course. Just like the Perimter/#1 interchange has the bridges over the tracks. But it requires grade seps which cost millions. Add that up over the 4 interchanges I mentioned and it increases cost significantly.

How would you fit a diamond interchange at Deacon with the railway right there. You can't really. Having no railway there is much easier.
Watch me. I’ve intended to draw and showcase my version of the two interchanges across the floodway.

Also my thinking is this: If you grade-separate the cross road from the highway, you may as well include the rail track in the package.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Watch me. I’ve intended to draw and showcase my version of the two interchanges across the floodway.

Also my thinking is this: If you grade-separate the cross road from the highway, you may as well include the rail track in the package.
There is some merit to including a rail overpass there as part of the plan... it is a fairly heavily used rail line, and PR 207 is a somewhat significant road leading into the town of Lorette.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:25 PM

How will you connect to 207 to #1 in between the track and highway?

If you're following any sort of standards, you can't. Look at the diamond interchanges proposed on the south Perimeter and how far offset the ramps are. You'd have to start pushing the highway north, and building either vertical walls for the ramps or make them on structure entirely. Even then the railway owns their property, so I don't think there's room.

Maybe start looking at the U-shaped interchanges I suppose.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan