HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Well if that's the case then it takes more than 5 days to do it as the storm happened Day 1 and I left 5 days later and none had been removed.
Don't let facts get in the way. Always easier to assume other places do better at everything than us.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 4:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Well if that's the case then it takes more than 5 days to do it as the storm happened Day 1 and I left 5 days later and none had been removed.
I would assume your visit to the Cities "over the holidays" included Christmas and maybe New Year's Day which probably accounted for the delays in snow removal, no?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I would assume your visit to the Cities "over the holidays" included Christmas and maybe New Year's Day which probably accounted for the delays in snow removal, no?
Included only New Years Day. All the stores and mall were open. Leaves 4 other days. Also never heard of a city just not doing snow clearing because it's a holiday – ours certainly doesn't – especially in a country that refers to any snow removal as a "snow emergency."

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 11:39 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Included only New Years Day. All the stores and mall were open. Leaves 4 other days. Also never heard of a city just not doing snow clearing because it's a holiday – ours certainly doesn't – especially in a country that refers to any snow removal as a "snow emergency."
Winnipeggers don’t realize how exceptional their snow-clearing service is. Toronto doesn’t clear snow much at all. They just hope it melts. I used to tell people here about the sidewalk snowploughs in Winnipeg and they thought I was making it up.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:55 AM

^^^ last year i was in toronto after a major snowfall and the way queen st. and yonge and dundas was "cleared" was dumbfouding. barely a path was cleared amidst 3-4 ft high snowbanks that couldn't fit more than single file in each direction during a saturday afternoon.. and it had snowed two days before! again, the pissing on winnipeg thing just shows how little some people don't travel or don't notice shit when they are actually somewhere else.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:48 PM

Snow clearing in our neighbouring cities:

Saskatoon - residents have to clear their own sidewalks within 48 hours or fined.

Saskatoon - the city will not clear residential roads to pavement but will level ruts if they reach a certain threshold.

Edmonton - residents have to clear their own sidewalks or face a $100 fine and costs for the city to clear it

Calgary - property owners have 24 hours after snowfall ends to clear snow or face a minimum $150+ fine

Calgary - The city does not clear residential roads. They 'will' level ruts.

Winnipegers doing the classic Winnipeg thing and bitching when they don't realize how good we have it here on some fronts.
I got almost no complaints about our snow clearing.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 10:46 PM

I wonder how many drivers are going to get dinged with tickets if they are not aware of the new speed restrictions on Marion/Goulet from 60 to 50 KPH starting Monday?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I wonder how many drivers are going to get dinged with tickets if they are not aware of the new speed restrictions on Marion/Goulet from 60 to 50 KPH starting Monday?
Haha, I just drove 65 down the length of it. There is just the one camera west of Archibald, and I didn't notice a flash. Any idea of the extent of the reduced speed zone? The whole length?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Haha, I just drove 65 down the length of it. There is just the one camera west of Archibald, and I didn't notice a flash. Any idea of the extent of the reduced speed zone? The whole length?
CBC Radio this morning said that the reduced speed is from St. Mary's to Youville.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Winnipeggers don’t realize how exceptional their snow-clearing service is.
Winnipeg does a say top 5% job in snow clearing especially v other places outside the province. The challenge is the province (on select highways) and many RMs in the capital region beat the absolute pants off Winnipeg in terms of snow clearing. This past weekend made that again super evident especially on roads like CCW/Inkster where west of Route 90 it is the province doing snow clearing and east is the City.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 4:12 PM

I didn't think snow clearing was an issue at all this past weekend. I saw armies of equipment out on the roads on Saturday and Sunday. The problem was roads were in lousy shape due to ice which graders and loaders generally can't scrape off.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Winnipeg does a say top 5% job in snow clearing especially v other places outside the province. The challenge is the province (on select highways) and many RMs in the capital region beat the absolute pants off Winnipeg in terms of snow clearing. This past weekend made that again super evident especially on roads like CCW/Inkster where west of Route 90 it is the province doing snow clearing and east is the City.
I'll second that sentiment, it's usually pretty clear when driving into the city from a rural highway where the divide is between the city's and the province's responsibility to clear a given road.

Even secondary roads tend to be cleared pretty quickly, although outside the city, plows can get up to a good speed and cover more ground much more quickly, whereas city crews have more traffic to contend and can't just rip down a street to launch the snow 20ft to the side of the road

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Hope you get a ticket and slow the hell down.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Hope you get a ticket and slow the hell down.
Why? The signs weren't changed, how would I have known?
I will slow down now. I take a lot of pride in driving within allowable limits.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Quote:
Why? The signs weren't changed, how would I have known?
I will slow down now. I take a lot of pride in driving within allowable limits.
The signs were all changed last night. There's bright yellow "NEW" signs on all them.

This is fantastic. There's been so much much positive change on Marion in the last year, especially around Tache. This should hopefully help the area continue its refresh. It will also now allow for sidewalk decks for patios/sidewalk-arounds.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 12:10 PM

^ That stretch should've been changed to 50 years ago. It always seemed odd to me that the limit was 60 there before.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:43 AM

Quote:
The signs were all changed last night. There's bright yellow "NEW" signs on all them.

This is fantastic. There's been so much much positive change on Marion in the last year, especially around Tache. This should hopefully help the area continue its refresh. It will also now allow for sidewalk decks for patios/sidewalk-arounds.
In typical Winnipeg fashion there are only speed signs on the right side of the street. If you are on the left of a bus or large truck you will not see that sign.

The city does have money though to put crosswalk, and school signs on both sides of a multilane street though so I am not sure why they can't do speed limit signs.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I didn't think snow clearing was an issue at all this past weekend. I saw armies of equipment out on the roads on Saturday and Sunday. The problem was roads were in lousy shape due to ice which graders and loaders generally can't scrape off.
It may also depend if the city wants to pay an extra charge to the grader contractions to have the standard moldboards taken off and replaced with ice teeth.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 9:23 PM

A couple items re: recent major projects.

Kenaston Blvd speed reduction in Waverley West. Residents were complaining they have concerns crossing Kenaston to get in the Town Centre (go figure). Wanted speed reduced from 80. The City is recommending no change.

Residents on Plessis Rd south of Dugald are complaining of increased traffic, specifically trucks, since the underpass opened and want them re-routed. Well no shit. They likely got spoiled with the road being closed for 2-3 years.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 9:27 PM

^ Considering that many of the cars on south Kenaston are going 90 or over, I'd be asking for a speed reduction too if I lived there. That is such a bizarro setup with that quasi-freeway going right down the middle of the neighbourhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan