HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 7:20 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^ Its like China...high-rises everywhere, smog...
Actually, yeah, it does kinda look a little like here. The only things missing are the chaotic traffic, oblivious pedestrians clogging the roads while cars park on the sidewalks, and people pissing all over the place. Other than that... yup, looks like it.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
why do we need more bank logos... how will that do anything materially for Winnipeg or for our downtown...
Outside investment into the local economy is a good thing. Even if it is just for naming rights on a building.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 8:05 PM

New page.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Actually, yeah, it does kinda look a little like here. The only things missing are the chaotic traffic, oblivious pedestrians clogging the roads while cars park on the sidewalks, and people pissing all over the place. Other than that... yup, looks like it.
I can't tell if you're saying those are the sorts of things one sees in Chinese cities .... or if you're referring to the Winnipeg that Jenny Motkaluk sees ...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 7:25 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
I can't tell if you're saying those are the sorts of things one sees in Chinese cities .... or if you're referring to the Winnipeg that Jenny Motkaluk sees ...
China. You'd be amazed at public behavior here. To be fair, you don't see many adults pissing all over the place but the kids are encouraged to. It's not considered dirty or anything to be dissuaded or ashamed of. And believe me, chaotic traffic in Canada, anywhere in Canada, is nothing compared to what you see every day in China.

But who is Jenny Motkaluk and what's her problem?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 7:59 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
China. You'd be amazed at public behavior here. To be fair, you don't see many adults pissing all over the place but the kids are encouraged to. It's not considered dirty or anything to be dissuaded or ashamed of. And believe me, chaotic traffic in Canada, anywhere in Canada, is nothing compared to what you see every day in China.

But who is Jenny Motkaluk and what's her problem?
Some angry woman who grew up in the North End who now has a rich husband. Both live in River Heights, and thinks Brian Bowman is an idiot, because of his big smile, or something.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 3:08 PM
Ignore these four words.

She ran for Mayor - Bowman's biggest opponent.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 6:28 PM

I was trying to joke that traffic chaos, pedestrians running out in front of cars, crime and just general chaos and disorder - your description of China sounded pretty much the same as what Jenny said Winnipeg would be like with Bowman. I guess I'm not great at jokes.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
why do we need more bank logos... how will that do anything materially for Winnipeg or for our downtown...
Two things:

1) Banks go to the best locations. A badge of success
2) Banks generally pay good rent, are reliable tenants, and draw many more tenants, fuelling and demand ergo raising rent. Right now, Winnipeg's rents are too low to offset our high construction costs, making development difficult, and making lot owners take losses on what should be valuable land. Any prositive influence on commercial rent is welcome right now.

Well, that's several reasons wrapped into just two...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 2:04 PM

Yah, the more corporate logos on buildings, the better honestly. Shows strength in the economy, especially to outsiders. As well as residents that “hey we exist.”

Skip has been trying to get signage up on a few of its buildings, but they keep getting rejected due to one woman (i think it might be Tugwell) saying that they either aren’t character appropriate or cause undue risk. They wanted to put a prdastal sign up outside the building they bought at Bannatyne & Rorie similar to UW ones), but were rejected because someone complained it wiuld cause a blind spot that someone could assault people behind. Get a fucking grip.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 7:21 PM

So what is it? Historic or a safety risk? And before you mention names, whether it's Tugwell or not, it's always better to verify before mentioning on a public site.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 9:49 PM

Well, it would help if we knew how obnoxious the sign is or isn't... but the safety thing?

Yeah not buying that angle. It's definitely about keeping in tone with the surrounding heritage, anything else is just to see what sticks of the heritage argument isn't heavy enough.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:32 PM

Almost everyday, the new tower fire alarm goes off. Like everyday. Right now the ladder truck's out there, numerous other fire vehicles. Everyone filed out, again.

Must be having big issues with their system. Must be getting expensive too. They get charged for false alarms.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Almost everyday, the new tower fire alarm goes off. Like everyday. Right now the ladder truck's out there, numerous other fire vehicles. Everyone filed out, again.

Must be having big issues with their system. Must be getting expensive too. They get charged for false alarms.
If its construction / commissioning errors related would the city fees not be charged to the Alarm system contractor holdback fees by the building management?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yah, the more corporate logos on buildings, the better honestly. Shows strength in the economy, especially to outsiders. As well as residents that “hey we exist.”

Skip has been trying to get signage up on a few of its buildings, but they keep getting rejected due to one woman (i think it might be Tugwell) saying that they either aren’t character appropriate or cause undue risk. They wanted to put a prdastal sign up outside the building they bought at Bannatyne & Rorie similar to UW ones), but were rejected because someone complained it wiuld cause a blind spot that someone could assault people behind. Get a fucking grip.
I don't think there is any one person who has the power to "reject" a sign. Rather, the signs they're proposing probably aren't permitted in the Exchange District because of regulations in the Downtown Zoning By-law or heritage building regulations.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
If its construction / commissioning errors related would the city fees not be charged to the Alarm system contractor holdback fees by the building management?
I have no idea. but someone has to be paying the bills. Especially when there's 6 fire trucks plus smaller supervisors and such. Lots of people wasting time.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 9:59 PM

Further update, there appears only to be the top 3 floors occupied of the office tower. The 4th floor from top looks to have some framing installed. Everything else still empty. I had though the bottom two floors of the tower were leased, but nothing that I can see yet.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 10:07 PM

MNP and Scotia are currently building out their spaces.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Further update, there appears only to be the top 3 floors occupied of the office tower. The 4th floor from top looks to have some framing installed. Everything else still empty. I had though the bottom two floors of the tower were leased, but nothing that I can see yet.
Construction on the market will be starting soon. The concept is based off of Eataly, an Italian market that's currently only in the biggest cities in the world – Toronto is currently under construction. While this isn't Eataly, the same contractor/construction company is building it, so they're pulling heavily from the concept

It's like a single-POS market, it will have an app where you can just go get a bunch of things from different vendors, tap your phone, and just pay on the way out from your phone. Will have lots of different high-end food vendors and several bar stations, fully licensed. Will kind of be like a higher-end Forks Market it seems. Should be awesome.

Also confirmed Pizzeria Gusto is still taking one of the spaces, I'm guessing in Tower 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
MNP and Scotia are currently building out their spaces.
Are you referring to the Scotia offices? The bank branch is already open. It's call "Scotia Banking Solutions" which seems odd, as I've never seen that anywhere else. Will be interested to see if the P&M location gets that name when it moves upstairs, or if they want to differentiate them a bit.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 7:18 PM

I really like how the ventilation grilles on top of the residential tower have turned out. It's much better than what was done to the top of the office building, where it looks kind of like a fenced-off compound on the north side. It's much neater and cleaner on the residential building... too bad the office building wasn't done the same way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan