HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 3:36 AM

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 7:42 AM

Next page.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 7:45 AM

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Dec 16, 2018 at 8:55 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 7:11 PM

Looking good.

Does anyone know where exactly the skywalk is planned to connect Sutton Place to the Convention Centre? It seems like it will either have to go through the current Millennium Suite in order to connect to the second floor concourse, or essentially link with the skywalk to Delta on the exterior.

Either way, it will force some exterior renos – I really hope they do further upgrades to the exterior of the north building. The top half is nice, but the red and navy stucco & siding looks so outdated, and the Delta skywalk is disgusting.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Looking good.

Does anyone know where exactly the skywalk is planned to connect Sutton Place to the Convention Centre? It seems like it will either have to go through the current Millennium Suite in order to connect to the second floor concourse, or essentially link with the skywalk to Delta on the exterior.

Either way, it will force some exterior renos – I really hope they do further upgrades to the exterior of the north building. The top half is nice, but the red and navy stucco & siding looks so outdated, and the Delta skywalk is disgusting.
I haven't seen any plans for a skywalk to the convention center? Wouldn't you just go across the proposed skywalk to TNS and then on through the cityplace food court/delta hotel?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
I haven't seen any plans for a skywalk to the convention center? Wouldn't you just go across the proposed skywalk to TNS and then on through the cityplace food court/delta hotel?
I'd be pretty surprised if a large new hotel across the street from the convention centre didn't try to capitalize on their location by building a short skywalk link instead of forcing people to take such a convoluted route.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:14 PM

Based on these renderings, which may be old, it runs along the east side of the convention centre. Likely connecting in to the skywalk over Carlton before entering into the CC. But who knows how accurate that detail is.

https://www.wcc.mb.ca/planners/sutton-place-hotel/

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:20 PM

^ The bottom line is that the renderings clearly contemplate some form of skywalk connection to the Convention Centre. It would be really surprising if they didn't get it built.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Based on these renderings, which may be old, it runs along the east side of the convention centre. Likely connecting in to the skywalk over Carlton before entering into the CC. But who knows how accurate that detail is.

https://www.wcc.mb.ca/planners/sutton-place-hotel/
Oh I see the skywalk connection now...sorry I missed that rendering earlier.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The bottom line is that the renderings clearly contemplate some form of skywalk connection to the Convention Centre. It would be really surprising if they didn't get it built.
Looks like the skywalk connection will fully be on the exterior all the way from cityplace to the Convention Centre...which makes it a TRUE skywalk. Love it.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 6:12 PM

Just a guess but I would picture something like the main second floor hallway in the convention centre continuing out over St Marys and across to Sutton Place connecting on the SW side of the property. Depending on the alignment between the two sites a slight angle may be needed to connect the sites.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 6:21 PM
What could go wrong?

This is the best render for that.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:03 AM

Jon Graumann (@jon.graumann) on Instagram:

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:52 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It’s the main reason they’re building True North Square! To link up their arena to the convention centre. The whole design is built around getting the shortest possible skywalk connection between the two.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

Jon Graumann (@jon.graumann) on Instagram:
I quite like this photo. I imagine when the 2 Sutton towers go up the area will be ablaze

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:36 PM

Mentioned earlier that Ceridian is relocating to third floor of the Scotia building (fall of 2019). Looks like they're adding a name to the building.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:38 PM

Minor update on Sutton Place. Looks like they're making progress on the shoring wall piles. Rigs are coring out holes, then likely placing steel soldier piles, prior to pouring concrete into the bottom.

Also, the crane movement that was scheduled for last weekend is tonight. There will also be another closure this coming weekend.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It’s the main reason they’re building True North Square! To link up their arena to the convention centre. The whole design is built around getting the shortest possible skywalk connection between the two.
The current skywalk links between the arena and convention centre are effectively the shortest path possible. Sure the new path with be marginally shorter. Rather than the distance of the path it is actually more about control of the space people are walking past and potentially spending money in,

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Mentioned earlier that Ceridian is relocating to third floor of the Scotia building (fall of 2019). Looks like they're adding a name to the building.
Cool. I'm a little surprised that they can all fit on the third floor of TNS1, though... for some reason I thought Ceridian was bigger than that. I wonder who will fill up the space at 125 Garry? Will Wawanesa swallow it up and deprive us of a new building at Broadway and Main?!?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Interesting.
We were always told that floors 2 and 3 were for the big food hall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan