HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 7:36 PM

Everything I have seen about the new library has been extremely underwhelming. I was hoping for the ever-elusive-in-Ottawa 'world class' label to apply to this project but it looks like it will be a fairly run of the mill central library, something that would be impressive in a city of 400,000 but nothing extraordinary for a city of Ottawa's size and supposed importance as a G7 capital.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Everything I have seen about the new library has been extremely underwhelming. I was hoping for the ever-elusive-in-Ottawa 'world class' label to apply to this project but it looks like it will be a fairly run of the mill central library, something that would be impressive in a city of 400,000 but nothing extraordinary for a city of Ottawa's size and supposed importance as a G7 capital.
Agreed. It will be painfully mediocre and terribly situated.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
What can we expect for a 'tim bits' city where the budget always rules over excellence?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
"Ever elusive" indeed - I don't think I've ever heard "world-class" and "Ottawa" used in the same sentence, although I've only been here for 37 years ...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:00 AM

It should not be called a library, should be called a community centre. The last time I was in the library, it was 15 years ago. Printed books are a crime. The same as in the future will be gasoline cars and the roads with the highways. When humanity will figure out gravity.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:06 AM

Should be called "Ottawa place" . Exhibition space, museum, research and reference area, community space, souvenir shops......no printed books, if they are not rare examples. Want to read, read from tablets.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondon View Post
It should not be called a library, should be called a community centre. The last time I was in the library, it was 15 years ago. Printed books are a crime. The same as in the future will be gasoline cars and the roads with the highways. When humanity will figure out gravity.
What the hell are you talking about? Printed books are a crime?! Print is essential to our rise as a species and will exist forever.

If you're making some kind of environmental statement forestry is renweable and books last decades to centuries.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeed View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Printed books are a crime?! Print is essential to our rise as a species and will exist forever.

If you're making some kind of environmental statement forestry is renweable and books last decades to centuries.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 9:03 PM

From Catherine McKenney:

Quote:
Stay tuned! We will learn the architectural design of the new Main Library on January 23rd. @opl_bpo
https://twitter.com/cmckenney/status...83776942116864

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I am reading a really good book about gravity right now.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 8:55 PM

Tim Tierney was interviewed by Rob Snow on January 13. They have a conversation about the new library.

No new information really, but he says he's seen the design, it's "stunning", he knows the "bar is set high" quoting the Calgary Library (saying he was at the opening) and the Halifax Library and "people are going to be very very happy".

Tendering will take in 9 to 12 months, groundbreaking next year. Opening at the end of 2024.

The interview starts around the 32m30s mark.

https://www.1310news.com/audio/the-rob-snow-radio-show/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Tim Tierney was interviewed by Rob Snow on January 13. They have a conversation about the new library.

No new information really, but he says he's seen the design, it's "stunning", he knows the "bar is set high" quoting the Calgary Library (saying he was at the opening) and the Halifax Library and "people are going to be very very happy".

Tendering will take in 9 to 12 months, groundbreaking next year. Opening at the end of 2024.

The interview starts around the 32m30s mark.

https://www.1310news.com/audio/the-rob-snow-radio-show/
*Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.*

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 5:14 PM

Quote:
*Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.Don't get my hopes up...this is Ottawa.*
But I can't help myself!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 5:15 PM

Little more info...

From Watson't Twitter:

Quote:
OPEN HOUSE

The architectural design will be revealed for the @opl_bpo - @LibraryArchives Joint Facility Thursday, January 23!

Drop by the Ottawa Art Gallery between 4pm-8pm to have a look!

https://ottawa.ca/en/news/architectu...joint-facility … #myottawa #mycanada #ottnews #ottcity #ottawa #library

https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/...45751369420800

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Library use is on the rise as the younger generations are more likely to use them than the older ones. It is better to build facilities for younger generations who will live for a while, not the older ones that are dying off. The problem is Baby Boomers tend to expect the world to revolve around them.

see Millennials are the most likely generation of Americans to use public libraries

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Library use is on the rise as the younger generations are more likely to use them than the older ones. It is better to build facilities for younger generations who will live for a while, not the older ones that are dying off. The problem is Baby Boomers tend to expect the world to revolve around them.

see Millennials are the most likely generation of Americans to use public libraries
The survey doesn't really say what millennial are doing at at the library or how often they go. I suspect a lot of it is children-related.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:20 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Little more info...
Thanks, J.OT13.

Date: Thursday, January 23
Time: 4 - 8 pm
Place: Alma Duncan Salon, Ottawa Art Gallery, 50 Mackenzie King Bridge

Any SSPers feel like meeting up there to check it out in person? Harley? I could make it for 6:30 or 7ish. We could always stop by Albion Rooms across the road for a craft beverage and chat after. I'm pretty sure these venues barrier/stair free.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post

We are beyond expecting it. We know it does!

Boomers are not big users of libraries. We already know what we need to know, Younger generations still have more to learn. I hope they get a nice Ottawa library to help their quest for knowledge.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
Thanks, J.OT13.

Date: Thursday, January 23
Time: 4 - 8 pm
Place: Alma Duncan Salon, Ottawa Art Gallery, 50 Mackenzie King Bridge

Any SSPers feel like meeting up there to check it out in person? Harley? I could make it for 6:30 or 7ish. We could always stop by Albion Rooms across the road for a craft beverage and chat after. I'm pretty sure these venues barrier/stair free.

I am going to be there at 4 sharp but then I have to head out to Wakefield at 4:30 to pick up my daughter from daycare so I won't be able to meet at that time unfortunately. Let's catch up soon!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:15 PM

Sarcasm, I take it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa