HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:28 AM

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:58 AM

Demolition begins:

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 1:42 AM

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 2:02 PM

^ Between that and the Orange Order building coming down nearby, that area sure is going to feel different. I hope the wheels turn quickly on the Market Lands project to bring back that built-up feeling.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 3:16 PM
Back from the dead

I personally hate brutalism so seeing that hideous monstrosity go is almost good enough for me.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I personally hate brutalism so seeing that hideous monstrosity go is almost good enough for me.
I agree. I know some folks like that style and that's okay, but personally I never really liked it.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 7:19 PM

I like brutalism, but I never considered the PSB complex to be a good example of it. I'm not really sure that it even qualifies given that it's stone clad instead of beton brut. It shares a lot of the characteristics of brutalism, but I don't know you can call it a true example of the style.

All of those 60s and 70s limestone clad buildings like the PSB, the Convention Centre as originally built, the WAG, the Centennial Centre... they're all part of something one could consider to be a derivative of brutalism... sort of a "Manitoba brutalist" style.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 11:18 PM
Back from the dead

Fair comment. I don't really know what it qualifies as, I just see that style as monolithic and depressing. Never enough windows and boring to look at. I guess if I knew the history of architecture or something then maybe I'd appreciate it but visually, that style is horrible in my opinion. Based on the renderings, I'm not sure that the replacement is all that much better in terms of visually inspiring but meh...whatever. More windows is always better, I think.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 9:09 AM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:12 PM
Back from the dead

Have I simply been thrown off by the renderings? Are there three buildings going up or just one? The rendering suggests 3 but I may have read too much into it.

Okay...yeah, I just went back and reviewed old posts but we're just getting one right now. The others are to be developed by private developers. That seems...odd. Why wait or limit the scope of the project? This particular project seems a lot better with all three together rather than a stand-alone. Not my favorite design but actually not too bad after I've taken a better look at it. Nevertheless, why didn't the RFP include proposals for the entire site?

Last edited by Spocket; Feb 7, 2020 at 1:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:42 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Have I simply been thrown off by the renderings? Are there three buildings going up or just one? The rendering suggests 3 but I may have read too much into it.

Okay...yeah, I just went back and reviewed old posts but we're just getting one right now. The others are to be developed by private developers. That seems...odd. Why wait or limit the scope of the project? This particular project seems a lot better with all three together rather than a stand-alone. Not my favorite design but actually not too bad after I've taken a better look at it. Nevertheless, why didn't the RFP include proposals for the entire site?
Part of the property is subject to the public-use covenant while the rest of it is not, so it would possibly stand to reason that there would be a public development which (it is hoped) would then attract a private development on the part of the land that has no development restrictions.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 9:21 PM

From a purely aesthetic point of view, i think it would looks great if the other buildings were more along the lines of brownstone apartments. Having some low-rise (3 storey) units, with some trees/courtyard areas in that area, would, I think, look amazing and be an attractive residential option. Of course, I have no idea of the density/prices needed to make something like that economically feasible, but it would look nice for the area.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 1:17 AM

From what I’ve heard, those renderings that “won” can more or less be thrown out. They picked a winner based on theory, overall ideas, land use etc. and will essentially be starting from scratch collaboratively with all the stakeholders and the winner at the helm.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 3:38 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
From a purely aesthetic point of view, i think it would looks great if the other buildings were more along the lines of brownstone apartments. Having some low-rise (3 storey) units, with some trees/courtyard areas in that area, would, I think, look amazing and be an attractive residential option. Of course, I have no idea of the density/prices needed to make something like that economically feasible, but it would look nice for the area.
Personally, I think it would be better to go 4 to 6 floors with ground floor retail in one or two of the buildings.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 4:28 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:

The part of the property with the caveat will have the public market and one mixed-use affordable housing building. Will have one or two floors of space for creative industries, arts groups and galleries. The rest of the property will be put to a private developer RFP. Could be 4-5 other buildings.

The scheme you saw that won is basically unchanged except the tall building has been cut short on a diagonal at the east side to create more visibility and connection to the rest of the site.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 4:30 PM

^Awesome

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 7:20 PM
Back from the dead

Thanks Vike. The more I look at it, the more it's growing on me to be honest. Just whenever I look at what is essentially a box, I'm always somewhat disappointed. I need a building to have flair to be appealing. I think my favorite building in Winnipeg is a rather benign little thing on Portage at Smith. I think it's the land titles office or something according to Google maps.

Definitely gained an appreciation for smaller scale buildings during my time in China but they're pretty much all copies of one another here. One reason this new proposal appeals to me now is the atrium thingy. As stated earlier, the plans are being retooled but I hope we still get something like that. Are you working this? Sorry, I don't follow every post in some threads.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 1:57 AM

Can see the new massing in this diagram here:

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 3:09 AM

Anyone know if RRC owns the surface lot at Princess & Elgin, right beside the Innovation Centre? Would be awesome to fill in that lot along with Marketlands.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 7:19 AM
surely you agree with me

They do not. Owner wouldn’t sell.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan