HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 2:03 PM

Consultation means giving back the building and land to the Natives. It's OK, the Feds will cut the cheques.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 5:20 PM

Perhaps some encouraging news about the Masonic Temple on Donald and Ellice. Hopefully something interesting will move in.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ions-1.5233770

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Consultation means giving back the building and land to the Natives. It's OK, the Feds will cut the cheques.
Sadly, you’re probably right.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
That's one of those things that you think will never happen, no matter how many other bad things do -- like GWL leaving the city (obviously smaller than that, but still a real downer).

The corresponding BMO building in Toronto, which is nowhere near as nice, is now the Hockey Hall of Fame. I can't actually think of any 100+ year old active bank branches in Toronto - certainly not downtown.
Turn it into Canada's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 8:33 PM

Where did people congregate prior to the Portage Place food court?

My guess is this consultation/negotiation will ultimately result in a community centre built (or a renovated underused facility)somewhere north of Portage...using the loss of the gathering place at PP as leverage to get something.

I think the Portage Place project will go ahead. There is too much private money at stake to allow what is likely no more than a few hundred voices to sway the discussion.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Where did people congregate prior to the Portage Place food court?

My guess is this consultation/negotiation will ultimately result in a community centre built (or a renovated underused facility)somewhere north of Portage...using the loss of the gathering place at PP as leverage to get something.

I think the Portage Place project will go ahead. There is too much private money at stake to allow what is likely no more than a few hundred voices to sway the discussion.
Maybe first we should find out whether the gathering place at PP is even going to be lost at all.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 9:19 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the federal government have a legal obligation. theyve been run through the mud loosing 10's of millions in court battles on land claims over the years and this is one of those ones that could get nasty quik
What justify's a "land claim" on a private mall in the downtown of a major city? Just because vagrants like to hang out in the food court all day and buy nothing doesn't make it "their land".

To those of us that said the kapyong barracks site being handed to them for free would cause a slippery slope that they would seek to take full advantage of - I present now as the time to say "I told you so"

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
To those of us that said the kapyong barracks site being handed to them for free would cause a slippery slope that they would seek to take full advantage of - I present now as the time to say "I told you so"
Hold on there tiger. One person made a fanciful comment on a messageboard. Maybe save the I-told-you-so's for when an actual stakeholder in the real world suggests turning PP over to First Nations.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 9:54 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Hold on there tiger. One person made a fanciful comment on a messageboard. Maybe save the I-told-you-so's for when an actual stakeholder in the real world suggests turning PP over to First Nations.
Oh, I had no idea MP Robert Falcon Ouellette was on this board and had only posted a suggestion about possible federal interference on a private sale of a private mall because the "community" of food court sitters wasn't provided compensation.

You're aware that, stakeholder or not, the federal government can force the final say right? The fact that an active member of Parliament has now attempted to step in because natives called a private sale of a private building to a private company 'racist', should indicate where society as a whole is currently going.

Unless you, like many, don't consider the federal government to be the "real world" - in which case I respect your opinion since no one of actual value has commented.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Oh, I had no idea MP Robert Falcon Ouellette was on this board and had only posted a suggestion about possible federal interference on a private sale of a private mall because the "community" of food court sitters wasn't provided compensation.

You're aware that, stakeholder or not, the federal government can force the final say right? The fact that an active member of Parliament has now attempted to step in because natives called a private sale of a private building to a private company 'racist', should indicate where society as a whole is currently going.

Unless you, like many, don't consider the federal government to be the "real world" - in which case I respect your opinion since no one of actual value has commented.
Nobody has said anything about handing PP over as a land claim settlement. Calm down.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 10:05 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Nobody has said anything about handing PP over as a land claim settlement. Calm down.
Then what would you consider this to be?

MP Robert Falcon Ouellette brought in federal interference after many in the community CLAIMED that this was 'stolen LAND' and to 'remember whos LAND we are on'.

Remember kids - just because it's not explicitly said doesn't mean its not what it is...

If not a potential land claim then, please, what would you consider it? Do the feds get involved in every major land sale within every city? If so please, enlighten me.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Then what would you consider this to be?

MP Robert Falcon Ouellette brought in federal interference after many in the community CLAIMED that this was 'stolen LAND' and to 'remember whos LAND we are on'.

Remember kids - just because it's not explicitly said doesn't mean its not what it is...

If not a potential land claim then, please, what would you consider it? Do the feds get involved in every major land sale within every city? If so please, enlighten me.
The feds are not "interfering", they are an equal shareholder in the Forks North Portage development corp along with the city and province, and all three levels have to sign off on the sale.

Your theory: the 30-day delay is a secret federal plot to turn PP into an urban reserve.

My theory: the 30-day delay is a political move to calm down the community and keep RFO's seat from flipping back to the NDP, with no ultimate effect on the sale of PP.

We'll see how it turns out.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
That's a really good idea. Winnipeg's second "national" museum, right at P & M. I would think the Masonic temple building would also be a good spot for this.

Whatever goes in the Bank of Montreal building I think it has to be something unique and exciting. Just using the space for government offices would be a total waste (though I wondered if Bpwman wants to move his office in there as a way to give Pallister the proverbial finger).

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 2:57 AM

Quote:
I am supportive of this idea with one caveat: No Burton Cummings involvement/presence/idolizing.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 4:45 AM

Quote:
FORTWHYTE ALIVE CELEBRATES FUNDING TO EXPAND ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION AND ECOTOURISM
Posted on August 2, 2019

FortWhyte Alive is excited to announce an investment of $4.7 million from the Government of Canada’s New Building Canada Fund in support of capital improvement projects to further expand its acclaimed ecotourism offerings and essential environmental education programs for Manitoba children.

Today, the Honourable Jim Carr, Minister of International Trade Diversification, announced the funding at a press conference held at FortWhyte Alive’s Alloway Reception Centre.

“This critical investment propels FortWhyte Alive into an exciting new phase,’’ said Liz Wilson, President & CEO of FortWhyte Alive. “Increasing our capacity will enrich environmental education for Manitoba children. New outdoor recreation and ecotourism opportunities will draw more local and international visitors each year. We are incredibly grateful for this support.”

Funding will support FortWhyte Alive in two extensive improvement projects:

The renovation of one of FortWhyte Alive’s key facilities – a deep energy retrofit and interior renovation of the iconic 35-year old Interpretive Centre.
The construction of a new facility, Buffalo Crossing – an 18,000 square foot multi-purpose building that will serve as a new southern gateway to FortWhyte from McGillivray Blvd. and a hub for new and creative outdoor recreation and education.

Improvements will exhibit FortWhyte’s commitment to environmental sustainability with a focus on net-zero construction and renewable energy.

Construction is slated to begin late 2019 with a planned re-opening of the Interpretive Centre in summer 2020 and Buffalo Crossing in summer 2021.

“This commitment, among others from key investors, energizes us as we move towards breaking ground,’’ said Wilson. “We look forward to sharing more in coming months and engaging our passionate and dedicated community on this project soon.”
https://www.fortwhyte.org/fortwhyte-...nd-ecotourism/

Conceptual rendering of observation tower and bridge to Buffalo Crossing

Conceptual rendering of the exterior of the Interpretive Centre retrofit

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I'm %100 with TV on this. It's not nor has it ever been a community property and as it's privately owned it never should be.

If there was nowhere else to go then fine, maybe entertain the idea but that's not the case. People frequenting the mall aren't stakeholders any more than they would be at Polo Park or St. Vital Center and, frankly, I find the suggestion ridiculous. We're still not communists last I checked.

Also, the reason for the "breakdown" in segregation has to do with the city's fortunes moreso than anything else. Not to mention the innumerable publicly-funded initiatives to clean up North Main. As another child of the 70's, I recall West Broadway being every bit as bad as the worst area in the city (well, actually, it was the worst for quite a while) and gentrification has gone a long way to making the area into something desirable. North Main wasn't a beacon for Natives and the destitute because it had so much they wanted out of a city: It was that way because it was allowed to deteriorate and turn into a slum. Is that how we want to attract people to Winnipeg? "Come for the crime, stay for the cesspool!"?
The mall IS CURRENTLY PRIVATELY OWNED! It can be sold to anyone who wishes to buy it period. If the owners decided to close down the food court today they could (and should).

What we are talking about is if The Forks North Portage is allowed to sell their interest in the PARKING LOT!! (and foundation for the the Mall). Why is the Federal government suggesting they need to consult “the community” ? I don’t believe “the community” utilizes the parking lot in any significant way.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
The mall IS CURRENTLY PRIVATELY OWNED! It can be sold to anyone who wishes to buy it period. If the owners decided to close down the food court today they could (and should).

What we are talking about is if The Forks North Portage is allowed to sell their interest in the PARKING LOT!! (and foundation for the the Mall). Why is the Federal government suggesting they need to consult “the community” ? I don’t believe “the community” utilizes the parking lot in any significant way.
I think you're aware that nobody is going to buy and redevelop the mall unless they can also get the parkade, so by selling the parkade, Forks North Portage is effectively giving the go-ahead to the sale of the mall too. It's disingenuous to claim that this is only about a parking lot.

I absolutely support the sale, but I also think it's reasonable enough to give community members a chance to vent their concerns, considering that PP was built using plenty of public money and the land is still publicly owned (through FNP).

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 5:42 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

44 Hargrave St. [Former Demon Hotel Site]

Upon reading the blog of former Demon Hotel on Hargrave St., is there really a new building going up on the site or is it just a good Photoshop job? Says work began February this year.

The writer of the blog, correctly asks if the site had an exorcism or not, before starting construction of the new building. Did they completely remove any and all of the old foundation of Demon Hotel?

He asks:

Are curses real? What happens when you build over the ruins of myth and superstition? Whatever happens, we will return to document any weird and mysterious happenings at the former location of the notorious place known to some as "Demon Hotel."

https://demonhotelofhargrave.blogspot.com/2019/02/

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 6:21 AM
surely you agree with me

That reclad of the fort Whyte pavilion is a disaster. A classic design destroyed.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 11:14 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
What justify's a "land claim" on a private mall in the downtown of a major city? Just because vagrants like to hang out in the food court all day and buy nothing doesn't make it "their land".

because the feds lost a few court cases that say they have to consult
and with the complexity of how theres 3 owners of different parts the feds have to absolutly cover there ass's here or it could get caught in a court battle that could result in the feds being sued by the developers and the treatie claims court battlethe simlar to kapion and if this one was lost it could be a bit of a disaster for the feds

Last edited by 1ajs; Aug 4, 2019 at 11:35 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan