HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 12:20 AM

Construction Update

Warehouse 1885
Address:104/108 Princess Street, Winnipeg, MB Winnipeg, MB
Location:https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...!4d-97.1421145
Developer: Legatum Development
Architect: http://www.5468796.ca/
Renderings & Construction pics: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=126
Description: Redevelop two existing landmark properties on the corner of Princess/Bannatyne into 39 desirable residential rental units plus 5,500 sq/f of commercial space on the main floor.
The renovation will construct a 3 Storey addition on top of 108 Princess to accommodate more rental units plus access to rooftop patio on 104 Princess.

96 Maryland St
Developer:
Architects: 2 Architecture Inc
Contractor:
Renderings & Construction pics: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=176
Board of Adjustment: April 4, 2018
Description: four-storey multi-family residential building with 6 units in Wolseley

710 Westminster Ave
Developer: Chanden Homes Ltd.
Architect(s): Unit 7 Architecture
Renderings & Construction pics: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=114
Media: Luxury rentals in West Broadway, Close to Sherbrook Street cafés, restaurants
Description: The building includes approximately 11,600 sq.ft. of leasable commercial space on two levels; close to 31,000 sq.ft. of apartments on four levels for a total of 44 living units; and a 12,800 sq.ft./42-car parking area, of which half is protected under the building.

216 Sherbrook
Developer(s): Almaleki Developments Inc
Architect(s)/Engingeers: Unknown
Construction Manager: Unknown
Completion: Unknown
Renderings & Construction pics: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=164
Description: 216 Sherbrook will be a mix use project featuring stunning, luxurious apartments with incredible amenities like a rooftop terrace, top of the line finishes and so much more. This project will also include commercial space with exciting businesses to be announced very soon!

The Point of Wellington
Developer: G&E Homes
Architects: 2 Architecture Inc
Contractor:
Media:
Description: New 13 unit apartment building located at the intersection of Gertrude and Wellington in Osborne Village. The building is located on a pie shaped lot next to a city park, with unobstructed views of the surrounding area from all apartments. The building includes enclosed underground heated parking, a beautiful common roof top terrace, and a car share program made available to tenants and the public.

Das Haus
Developer: Privileged Communities
Architect(s): 2 Architecture Inc
Contractor:
Media:
Renderings & Construction pics: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=180
Description: Residential apartment infill in the Osborne Village Neighborhood, a modern twist of the monopoly house with mix of 1 and 2 bedrooms units

James Ave Pumping Station Redevelopment
Developers: ALSTON PROPERTIES LTD.
Architect(s) : 5468796 Architecture Inc
Project Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=223833
Renderings & Construction pics:https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=122
Phase 1: 18,600 SF of office/retail space in the James Ave Pumping Station Building. Slated for demolition after 17 attempts to revive the historic structure over the last 14 years, the James Avenue Pumping Station was successfully preserved through the development of a financial / building pro forma that would make it financially feasible. 100% leased. Spring 2018 occupancy.
Phase 2: 28 high end rental apartments on Waterfront Drive available spring 2020.
Phase 3: 65 rental apartments. Winter 2021 occupancy.

153 Rue Aubert
Developer: Progressive Real Estate
Architects: Affinity Architecture Inc.
Contractor:
Description: A 4-storey multi-family residential building complete with 20 residential units, two dwelling units at-grade with parking located at the rear of the building.

Smith Street Lofts
Developer: Edison Properties
Architect(s) : MMP Architects Inc.
Construction Manager: Akman Construction Ltd.
Project Thread: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...d.php?t=240240
Description: Former social housing complex being retrofitted to mix of 250 market-rate rentals and affordable units, ground-level commercial plaza could contain a café or a restaurant, 60% of the exterior masonry walls will be removed and replaced with curtainwall and balconies.. renovations expected to be completed in 2021
Media: Smith Street tower will 'look like a very different building'

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Oct 28, 2019 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:32 AM
GQMF

Thanks for the updates my good man.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
They have a plaza/patio planned for that lot, unfortunately no new build to bridge that gap between the two developments.
That was just a rough plan/idea *if* the Winnipeg Hotel was able to be restored into a new hotel. If it’s not salvageable, the plan could change... could be fully redeveloped. An interesting situation.

In terms of the people that were living there: the problem here and in many of these hotels and SROs is as bad as they are, if you close them or kick people out, they end up on the street (or worse). So as bad as it sounds, it’s often better to have people “out of the way” and with a roof to sleep over, than on the streets throughout downtown.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 6:09 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

153 Rue Aubert < interesting to see a building like this using a roll on envilope seal here vs tyvec wrap wonder how much better it will hold up here?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 12:44 PM

I'm curious about the prospects of the Winnipeg Hotel... it seemed like the Fortune Block was in terrible shape but they managed to save it, so maybe not all hope is lost for the Winnipeg? I find it incredible that the province pays top dollar to house people in such terrible conditions instead of building proper housing. It must be quite a lucrative racket for the owners, though... the Sahota family of BC comes to mind as a big profiteer from downtown east side Vancouver hotels that are like the Winnipeg, but on a much larger scale. I think they may have been bought out over the years, though.

On a more upbeat note, thanks for the update, wpgguy. Nice to see all the action around Sherbrook and Maryland.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
On a more upbeat note, thanks for the update, wpgguy. Nice to see all the action around Sherbrook and Maryland.
There’s so much going on by Winnipeg standards it’s exciting to see all this new development happening, yet I can’t help but think what will be unveiled next.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I'm curious about the prospects of the Winnipeg Hotel... it seemed like the Fortune Block was in terrible shape but they managed to save it, so maybe not all hope is lost for the Winnipeg? I find it incredible that the province pays top dollar to house people in such terrible conditions instead of building proper housing. It must be quite a lucrative racket for the owners, though... the Sahota family of BC comes to mind as a big profiteer from downtown east side Vancouver hotels that are like the Winnipeg, but on a much larger scale. I think they may have been bought out over the years, though.

Don’t quote me on this but IIRC Fortune’s main issues were with the roof and floors but the foundation and supporting walls were still in relatively good shape. As well, Fortune has a lot more historical significance and cost a Fortune, it won’t generate profit for quite a while - there may not be a business case on the same vain with the hotel.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 2:14 AM

There's scaffolding up (yes, scaffolding) around the RBC logo on top of 201 Portage. I imagine they must have let BMO buy them out of the naming rights... would have been pretty embarrassing for BMO to be in an RBC building haha.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:12 AM

^ Makes sense, but is RBC DS going to mind having the penthouse suite on a BMO-branded building?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:14 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

^^^

You mean, like this?

TD > CanWest > RBC > BMO

This is getting just a tad silly, doncha think?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:50 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Don’t quote me on this but IIRC Fortune’s main issues were with the roof and floors but the foundation and supporting walls were still in relatively good shape. As well, Fortune has a lot more historical significance and cost a Fortune, it won’t generate profit for quite a while - there may not be a business case on the same vain with the hotel.
I sincerely hope the building can be saved. If not, they should try to at least preserve the facade (I know many of us don't like facadectomies), tastefully, mind you. Maybe it could be incorporated into the podium for a boutique hotel or something along those lines. If the Earl's site is developed into something really well executed, that stretch of Main will be kinda cool actually. I think the worst offenders in the area aren't actually the surface lots, those at least can be made into something nice from scratch. It's the Assiniboine Credit Union building which is somewhat hostile to the streetscape, same with the building to the south of York next to Johnny G's.

In ten years, with 300 Main and potentially something happening with the Earl's site once they vacate to go into 300, the area could be radically different than it is today.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:16 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
same with the building to the south of York next to Johnny G's.
You're talking about the Robertson College building?

Quote:
In ten years, with 300 Main and potentially something happening with the Earl's site once they vacate to go into 300, the area could be radically different than it is today.
That it may. That it may.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 1:12 PM

I don't consider the ACU office building to be too bad relative to the streetscape... the only real issue there is that there isn't any kind of retail or restaurant function to generate any foot traffic since Ivory left. But other than that it's fine.

Other than that I agree that south Main is developing nicely and has a lot of potential. The only real issue is that the improvements have all been concentrated on the west side of the street... the only improvement in the last 40 years on the east side of Main is when Earls went up and replaced the rental car lot that used to be there. I find that a little baffling considering the development potential of those sites... proximity to P&M, The Forks, the nice views, etc.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
^ Makes sense, but is RBC DS going to mind having the penthouse suite on a BMO-branded building?
I didn't even know they were in there – couldn't all fit in the RBC building at 220 Portage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I sincerely hope the building can be saved. If not, they should try to at least preserve the facade (I know many of us don't like facadectomies), tastefully, mind you. Maybe it could be incorporated into the podium for a boutique hotel or something along those lines. If the Earl's site is developed into something really well executed, that stretch of Main will be kinda cool actually. I think the worst offenders in the area aren't actually the surface lots, those at least can be made into something nice from scratch. It's the Assiniboine Credit Union building which is somewhat hostile to the streetscape, same with the building to the south of York next to Johnny G's.

I agree ideall the WH gets saved, but tbh if it being unsalvageable (aside from the facade) would lead to Pollards developing the empty lot along with it to be something more than a giant patio – I'm kinda down.

The southern building you mention is being converted into the new main campus for Robertson College. Yes there's only one door, but it'll be interesting to see if they open up the private offices along Main to be something more "active" like classrooms or common space. There will certainly be a lot more people in and around the building once it's open.

And I personally think the ACU building is quite well designed overall (90s cosmetics aside) – it's just unfortunate that it's devolved into being closed-off office space. Until this year there were 3 CRU entrances plus the building entrance, one was removed when Ivory left. It has tons of potential to be subdivided into small CRUs in the future. I believe it was Wawanesa that took over Ivory, so when they get their new tower that could be a very real option for the landlord.

Quote:
Other than that I agree that south Main is developing nicely and has a lot of potential. The only real issue is that the improvements have all been concentrated on the west side of the street... the only improvement in the last 40 years on the east side of Main is when Earls went up and replaced the rental car lot that used to be there. I find that a little baffling considering the development potential of those sites... proximity to P&M, The Forks, the nice views, etc.
TFNP is planning on developing the lot north of Union Station in 5-10 years, likely into a mixed-use parkade. Earls will eventually find a partner to redevelop their lots, so that really only leaves the smaller lots surrounding Century Plaza to be developed.

The biggest issue right now with the east side of Main is that the city needs to decide what the future holds for Transit/RT through downtown ASAP. At some point the busses (or future cars) need to exit Union Station and go west – where that will happen in the long term needs to be decided immediately.

Until last week it seemed like the most logical path would be to turn Wesley and lots along it into the entrance/exit of the RT line to connect with Graham. But if the longer-term transit plan is to take all busses off Graham, that changes everything for the east side of Main, and P&M in general. If Portage is to become the main transit route, then maybe we end up with the transitway entrance/exits behind Century Plaza near Westbrook, with Westbrook becoming the route to connect busses to Portage.

Whatever happens, Transit needs to figure out their plan before anything else happens around there.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
And I personally think the ACU building is quite well designed overall (90s cosmetics aside) – it's just unfortunate that it's devolved into being closed-off office space. Until this year there were 3 CRU entrances plus the building entrance, one was removed when Ivory left. It has tons of potential to be subdivided into small CRUs in the future. I believe it was Wawanesa that took over Ivory, so when they get their new tower that could be a very real option for the landlord.
This is very true. And as south Main continues to improve, that space will probably become more attractive to businesses... there is no more rough Winnipeg Hotel element next door, and the once basically abandoned Fortune Block will soon be fully occupied, including streetfront spaces. So there is a critical mass developing there.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
The biggest issue right now with the east side of Main is that the city needs to decide what the future holds for Transit/RT through downtown ASAP. At some point the busses (or future cars) need to exit Union Station and go west – where that will happen in the long term needs to be decided immediately.

Until last week it seemed like the most logical path would be to turn Wesley and lots along it into the entrance/exit of the RT line to connect with Graham. But if the longer-term transit plan is to take all busses off Graham, that changes everything for the east side of Main, and P&M in general. If Portage is to become the main transit route, then maybe we end up with the transitway entrance/exits behind Century Plaza near Westbrook, with Westbrook becoming the route to connect busses to Portage.

Whatever happens, Transit needs to figure out their plan before anything else happens around there.
Since, like you mentioned, it appears Graham will be abandoned by transit. But they still intend to use Union Station for the A line I believe it was. But are abandoning any further dedicated corridors for RT. The most logical place for the transitway to connect would be at Westbrook. Just have a ramp down from the transit highline to the existing intersection, with some mods for transit priority or whatever they need.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:24 PM

^ Much more room and flexibility for ramps to Westbrook than for Graham. Graham was always going to be an awkward fit from that perspective.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:48 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
This is very true. And as south Main continues to improve, that space will probably become more attractive to businesses... there is no more rough Winnipeg Hotel element next door, and the once basically abandoned Fortune Block will soon be fully occupied, including streetfront spaces. So there is a critical mass developing there.
I think too that as 300 main starts filling up then the area will be more attractive to residential builds. Hopefully once Railside occupancy starts this will only accelerate development (and quality development) of the south main strip.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:54 PM
Formerly rypinion

Pretty sure Wawanesa is "the landlord" of the ACU building. So presumably there will be a sale coming up.

Adding citation:

Quote:
The owner of the former Sport Manitoba office building at 200 Main St. didn't have to go far to find replacements for its former anchor tenant.

Another tenant in the seven-storey building — Assiniboine Credit Union — grabbed a big chunk of the SM space (about 30,000 square feet). And the building's owner — the Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company — took the remaining 18,000 square feet for its own operations.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...-96788199.html

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:14 PM

^ Not necessarily... they could remain owner... look at all the real estate assets GWL owns.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan