HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 12:44 PM

^ Considering that service was suspended 7 years ago I didn't think we'd ever see the return of VIA service on that route.

A lot of shortline operators have had trouble with the maintenance requirements involved... we've seen the same thing with the VIA route from Winnipeg to Churchill, or specifically the Keewatin Railway segment from The Pas-Churchill.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 3:55 PM

Normally on an urban development discussion board in Canada the ratio of action-to-debate is fairly high. We discuss a building proposal or even a new transit line and, lo and behold, shovels will eventually appear in the ground.

In the VIA rail thread, this ratio is approaching zero.

Jesus, even if we were Americans in an “Amtrak updates” thread we could post pictures of new track being laid here and there.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:05 PM

This is just a fantasy thread at this point. Participants here decided they didn't like hearing from the guy who actually works at VIA. So...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:09 PM
ハルウララ

It sure looks like the province is fixing the line for reasons outside of VIA, and the FB group is more of an activist attempt at getting VIA to return.

This article on the construction funding makes no mention of VIA returning and that the railway is being repaired for transport reasons: https://www.railwaygazette.com/infra.../54493.article

It would be nice to see more VIA expansion in Canada but I highly doubt Gaspe will be seeing VIA any time soon. It's not as if the Gaspesie is booming these days and VIA's priorities lie elsewhere.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:26 PM

Yeah, I sure hope VIA has no real interest in reopening that line. The longer it stays inoperable, the less of a money drain VIA is forced to leave open and the more money they have to service areas deserving of rail.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
This is just a fantasy thread at this point. Participants here decided they didn't like hearing from the guy who actually works at VIA. So...
I don’t think that’s it. I think that most people just tire of discussing hypotheticals for hundreds of pages. I certainly do. I think what attracts me to urban development as a hobby is that you can see literal concrete progress on initiatives. I’m a guy who derives immense satisfaction from watching projects unfold.

As a person who likes trains and tangible progress, following VIA rail is hell.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:38 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
As a person who likes trains and tangible progress, following VIA rail is hell.
Pretty much why I go to UT for updates on GO/TTC.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 5:14 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I don’t think that’s it. I think that most people just tire of discussing hypotheticals for hundreds of pages. I certainly do. I think what attracts me to urban development as a hobby is that you can see literal concrete progress on initiatives. I’m a guy who derives immense satisfaction from watching projects unfold.
I agree. I think the urban development boom of the 2010's is a huge part of why I remain interested in SSP.

It's very hard for me to accept that everything is running optimally at VIA when Canada is growing every year but its passenger rail infrastructure barely ever changes and feels a bit like a service you might find in Cuba (I was going to joke Uzbekistan, but it looks like they have nicer trains than us). It's possible that VIA is being run excellently under terrible federally-imposed constraints but that does not really matter from the perspective of a public that wants semi-decent transportation options.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I agree. I think the urban development boom of the 2010's is a huge part of why I remain interested in SSP.

It's very hard for me to accept that everything is running optimally at VIA when Canada is growing every year but its passenger rail infrastructure barely ever changes and feels a bit like a service you might find in Cuba (I was going to joke Uzbekistan, but it looks like they have nicer trains than us). It's possible that VIA is being run excellently under terrible federally-imposed constraints but that does not really matter from the perspective of a public that wants semi-decent transportation options.
Canada, 46,232.99 USD GDP per capita:

Uzbekistan, 1,832 USD GDP per capita:

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 6:12 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Uzbekistan, 1,832 USD GDP per capita
They have 2,446 km of electrified railway according to Wikipedia. Electrified rail is often brought up as a kind of pipe dream in a Canadian context. Perhaps one day we will reach an Uzbekistan circa 2020 level of passenger rail development.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Canada, 46,232.99 USD GDP per capita:

And in case anyone is unaware, those are 1980s diesel locomotives pulling 1950s passenger cars.

When it comes to long distance rail, we are literally still coasting on CP's capital spending from 65 years ago.

I get that we'll never see HSR running between, say, Saskatoon and Edmonton in our lifetimes, but surely there is some hope of at least seeing a Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal triangle before we all breathe our last?!?!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 7:44 PM
ハルウララ

Probably unwise to compare to Uzbekistan given that most of its highway infrastructure has fallen into complete disrepair since the fall of the Soviet Union and they have no ports given that they're double-landlocked. Yeah, they have trains, but that's literally all they have.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

Oddly enough, Cuba has been renewing their fleet recently; 250 cars delivered in 2019 and 75 locomotives currently being manufactured (43 delivered). They also have a sizable track-work program underway.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/05/...ilway-network/

VIA, of course, also has a fleet renewal program expecting deliveries over the next few years.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Probably unwise to compare to Uzbekistan given that most of its highway infrastructure has fallen into complete disrepair since the fall of the Soviet Union and they have no ports given that they're double-landlocked. Yeah, they have trains, but that's literally all they have.
Nevertheless, given disparity in GDP, it is pretty remarkable that we don't have decent passenger rail services in our major population corridors. If you think Uzbekistan isn't comparable, how about Morocco, with a GDP that is a fraction of Canada's and with plenty of coastline.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 10:21 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Nevertheless, given disparity in GDP, it is pretty remarkable that we don't have decent passenger rail services in our major population corridors.
It isn't really when you consider the relative power of the automobile lobby combined with the lack of density between our largest cities.

We have pretty good commuter rail in some of our major cities and they don't get enough credit.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 10:23 PM

^We have improving commuter rail starting from a base of almost nothing in Toronto and an automated light metro replacement for mediocre commuter rail in the works in Montreal.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 10:27 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
^We have improving commuter rail starting from a base of almost nothing in Toronto and an automated light metro replacement for mediocre commuter rail in the works in Montreal.
They don't seem to be acknowledged much around these parts when it comes to the overall discussion, just people looking for an excuse to moan about VIA and rail in general. I've taken GO an infinite amount of times more than VIA and it's far more useful.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 10:50 PM

does anyone on here have info on Russia's rail network and if they has HSR? With similar vast land mass and cold climate to that of Canada you would think they would be somewhat similar?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 11:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Their rail network is insane. IIRC, even Trans-Siberian mainline is electrified and twinned all the way to Vladivostok. (Can someone confirm?)

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
does anyone on here have info on Russia's rail network and if they has HSR? With similar vast land mass and cold climate to that of Canada you would think they would be somewhat similar?
I've taken the train from St. Petersburg to Moscow but it was a slow overnight train prior to going on the Trans-Siberian Railway. An experience in itself but I digress...

While doing my trip research I found there was a high-speed rail connecting the two major cities called the Sapsan which I declined to take in place of a more "colourful" train experience.

Cant' really compare Canada with countries with a European propensity for train travel (yes that includes Russia, Morocco, Uzbekistan). But hey, at least we don't suck as bad as Australia or practically all of Latin America.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada