HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Heck, I am confused that they are getting an NHL team, I guess they have enough of a fan base for that or they have someone wealthy enough that is really into hockey.
If Jody Allen had sold the Blazers operations to Knight, we would probably have had a hat in the ring for the franchise. Instead, we have a losing team, inactive owner, aging arena, and an organization that doesn't appear to have anything exciting to engage the community. C'mon Jody, sell the team!

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:02 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
If Jody Allen had sold the Blazers operations to Knight, we would probably have had a hat in the ring for the franchise. Instead, we have a losing team, inactive owner, aging arena, and an organization that doesn't appear to have anything exciting to engage the community. C'mon Jody, sell the team!
I don't buy this because if Knight wants to bring a MLB team to Portland, nothing is preventing him from doing so. His offer to the Jody Allen was such a low ball offer, he was just hoping to buy the team for cheap and she was wise enough not to sell it to him for his low ball offer.

I could see Knight not wanting to pursue a NHL team because he doesn't own the Blazers, but MLB is looking to expanding and MLB2PDX would do well with someone like Knight being the primary financial backer.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I don't buy this because if Knight wants to bring a MLB team to Portland, nothing is preventing him from doing so. His offer to the Jody Allen was such a low ball offer, he was just hoping to buy the team for cheap and she was wise enough not to sell it to him for his low ball offer.

I could see Knight not wanting to pursue a NHL team because he doesn't own the Blazers, but MLB is looking to expanding and MLB2PDX would do well with someone like Knight being the primary financial backer.
That's just not true. Phil Knight's starting offer was above $2B. The Utah Jazz, a smaller but similiar market sold for $1.66B in 2020 and only 7 teams have sold above $1B. While sales of teams are not an everyday occurance and values are rising into the multiple billions of dollars, his offer was neither offensive nor final. But Jody wouldn't even have a conversation with his representatives.

I don't know if Knight has any desire to be an MLB owner but I do know if he was an owner of the Blazers and the Rose Quarter, he'd be looking to maximize those investments by luring in additional pro sports including NHL and the WNBA.

Old Posted Today, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
That's just not true. Phil Knight's starting offer was above $2B. The Utah Jazz, a smaller but similiar market sold for $1.66B in 2020 and only 7 teams have sold above $1B. While sales of teams are not an everyday occurance and values are rising into the multiple billions of dollars, his offer was neither offensive nor final. But Jody wouldn't even have a conversation with his representatives.

I don't know if Knight has any desire to be an MLB owner but I do know if he was an owner of the Blazers and the Rose Quarter, he'd be looking to maximize those investments by luring in additional pro sports including NHL and the WNBA.
I've done a bit of traveling this fall and winter, attending NBA games in many cities. The Moda Center was state of the art 30 years ago. Unfortunately, it may now qualify as one of the worst NBA arenas. It's the lack of investment that's causing me to wonder if Jody plans to move the team and then sell it for a larger sum. Her lack of communication with Portlanders about her long term vision for the team makes me nervous.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment