HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 11:37 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
Tied into this vein, parking at TNS 1 is going from $14/day to $20/day tomorrow.

We're thinking the price points at the food hall are going to be a wee bit higher than your typical mall food court!
Yes, it’s a different experience, not as fast and significantly more expensive. If it’s like the equivalent in Toronto, at least.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^Was just talking about that with a colleague. Surely will cause a downturn in business at CP. Note it is always busy, like packed, at CP during the lunch hour and typically during Jet pregame.
CP has a decent array of choices, and the big names are there: McDonald's, Subway, & Tims. I wonder what percentage of total CP food court sales go to those 3? 2/3rds?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:19 PM

Quite a bit I would presume. but all of the places have line-ups at lunch.

City Place is basically a food court now. They have Coles, MPI stuff, CIBC, MLCC. The rest is food. Oh there's any eye glasses place too.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:

City Place is basically a food court now. They have Coles, MPI stuff, CIBC, MLCC. The rest is food. Oh there's any eye glasses place too.
Exactly. Well besides the key place/lotto. Dentist. Travel place. Rexall. Shaw. Jewelry store. Walk in clinic. Tobacconist. Carlton Cards. Orthodontist. and fitness centre

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 5:31 PM

naw. lol

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:

I stopped in there a while back for the first time in years. I was shocked how much it had changed. Last time I was there it was still a full retail mall on both floors. Now, not so much.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
I stopped in there a while back for the first time in years. I was shocked how much it had changed. Last time I was there it was still a full retail mall on both floors. Now, not so much.
Cityplace and Portage Place as full retail malls died when Eaton's went under. I guess Portage Place held on for a few more years, but the game was basically over in 1999 when Eaton's closed its doors.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Yes, it’s a different experience, not as fast and significantly more expensive. If it’s like the equivalent in Toronto, at least.
I'm all for it... Winnipeg needs more of that.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:24 PM

Cityplace should just embrace its role as a giant food court then and re-open to the street for vendors, restaurants, and seating areas to have windows and street views. Then lure over a handful of the stands at PP food court when it inevitably goes through some level of change.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:29 PM

I wonder if MPI really cares about the mall area. They're in the insurance business and all of this seems more like a hastle then anything.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:
I wonder if MPI really cares about the mall area. They're in the insurance business and all of this seems more like a hastle then anything.
Of course they care, it's two floors of leaseable space in a building they own. They can't make the mall part of the complex into something that it isn't, I mean they can't hope to attract an Apple Store in there. But they could spiff up the food court so as not to get left in the dust of new or renovated eating areas elsewhere downtown.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 1:14 AM

I was looking today at the space for lease at City Place and the map has been revised. I think that some the existing tenants must have renewed as their space has been removed from the space available map.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
It's Triovest Reality Advisors that runs City Place for MPI and if their management fee is based on the total paid rent for the building it would be Triovest's best interest to make sure that the building is as full as they can get it. (includes renting the empty 41000 sq ft former Vets Affairs office on 6th floor.)

I did notice that on the Triovest web site the contacts for leasing space in the City Place mall and office tower have moved from the local Triovest office in Winnipeg to staff based out of their Toronto head office. I don't know if that is going to hurt or help leasing the retail /office space space

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:39 PM

Quote:
They care, it's revenue. Well, since their public, they'll care less.

They also are less savvy.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
They can't make the mall part of the complex into something that it isn't
Considering the amount of lower security space MPI has moved to the mall space I think you may be underestimating them there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
(includes renting the empty 41000 sq ft former Vets Affairs office on 6th floor.)
Just a guess but I think the plan is for MPI to covert the office space to exclusive MPI use as much as possible with the 311 Call Centre likely being the last exception. If the building is only two tenants it becomes a lot easier to lock down access to those parts of the building for security reasons.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 7:55 PM

The Market looks quite far out from being able to open still. Apparently the LC and Almond Nail Bar going in on the second floor of 225 are nearing completion. Coffee shop/lounge at Graham & Carlton starting construction ASAP. TNS 1 is now the only building in Bentall's portfolio nationwide at 100% capacity... that's crazy.

RWB is taking up two floors of 225 Carlton for their new residence, starting next year some time. Sounds like something will be happening with the actual RWB building eventually, but plans are very secretive and early right now.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 8:12 PM

^ Thanks for the update. So RWB at 225 Carlton is long-term temporary until something else is built, or is that the permanent arrangement?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
RWB is taking up two floors of 225 Carlton for their new residence, starting next year some time. Sounds like something will be happening with the actual RWB building eventually, but plans are very secretive and early right now.
Called both these quite sometime back.

My prediction is the RWB residence and school both end up being part of the Archdiocese tower whenever that happens. Basically selling their existing buildings to True North for the costs of their part of the new building. The Achdiocese sells their building on Pembina and gets funds to house current and retired priests and other religious folks (nuns, monks, etc). With perhaps expanded role of affiliated religous orders like Development and Peace. Heck they could even open a Catholic high school, seminar or university in the space, or even all three.

Reality is each parish does not have a lot of liquid cash, even at the Archdiocese level there may not be a lot of available cash but on a global scale the access to capital is second to almost none and if their is internal support for the project funding won't be an issue. ie the project will self fund all construction and development costs split over the next 20 years. With support the Catholic church could easily self-mortgage the project internally. The key is getting that internal buy in.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 10:51 PM

^ Wasn't the church thing just a pie in the sky plan by a couple eager parrishners? As you mentioned, they don't have much cash. A local architect mentioned this in the past.

Also wasn't there rumours that the RWB was doing something over top the existing parkade? Or was that just SSP talk? Seems a lot of the rumours do become reality at some point.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Thanks for the update. So RWB at 225 Carlton is long-term temporary until something else is built, or is that the permanent arrangement?
That I'm not sure about, as I don't know what exactly is happening to the RWB building, just that something is in the works. TBH I don't even know if TN/RWB know what the long-term plan is.

It would sure be nice to see the RWB building reworked to treat the street better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan