HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Speaking of rooftops in Hollywood or West Hollywood, what's a good one to take a Chicaogan? Mama Shelter? Something unique for a out of towner.
I'd probably recommend something in WeHo or Hollywood. Chicago has a lot of rooftop bars more akin to things in DTLA, so somewhere near the hills would likely be more unique.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 11:36 PM

City Century finalizes $121 million acquisition of Olympia project site after city approval

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...in-downtown-la

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 12:01 AM

Oh, thank god. I thought this had died.

Do we believe they still have the money to build this? Will this actually happen?

Oceanwide's failure is a looming ghost just two blocks away, and I worry the trade war has put this in further jeopardy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
City Century finalizes $121 million acquisition of Olympia project site after city approval

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post

Do we believe they still have the money to build this? Will this actually happen?

Oceanwide's failure is a looming ghost just two blocks away, and I worry the trade war has put this in further jeopardy.
Yeah... if we only get one more project constructed during this cycle, I hope it's this one. They did just drop $121MM, so they certainly have some money.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 2:01 AM

Now this is great news. I've been praying for this one. If this one somehow wiggles through and starts construction. I'll be a happy camper.

“The Olympia project enjoys strong support from its downtown neighbors, including business organizations and unions. With the city having now granted approval of the project entitlements, we are looking forward to the next phase of work,” Chang said.

Please someone just play along with my fantasy and tell me that the next phase is getting permits for clearing the site now and foundation work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post

This might be a little different. From my understanding, their finances are tied to China but they have anchors in other countries/continents so not all of their finances have been locked sorta speak. Where as Oceanwide Is mostly tied and anchored to China. So hopefully this one squeezes through.

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 11, 2019 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:15 PM
DENNAB

Great news! Hopefully both this and Angels Landing pull through.

Speaking of China, I wonder what the status of the new potential tallest (333 Figueroa) is. That would truly be something and make LA closer to being a worthy North American skyscraper city.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 6:32 PM

Saw some construction workers at Oceanwide the other day

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 7:12 PM

^ Interesting. Not going to get too excited. I would think if something big happened with the financing for this deal, we'd hear about it in all the publications.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post

Awesome news indeed. Can't wait to hear more.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:38 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Great news! Hopefully both this and Angels Landing pull through.

Speaking of China, I wonder what the status of the new potential tallest (333 Figueroa) is. That would truly be something and make LA closer to being a worthy North American skyscraper city.
If downtown can get Oceanwide completed and everything in the "Proposed" list completed, I feel that will be the "Eureka!" moment we've all been waiting for. LA is already a "worthy" North American city. Before 2010, skylines weren't (and still aren't) what make a city. London, Paris, Moscow and others barely had any skylines if you looked back a decade, yet they were/are considered global power houses just as LA.

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 13, 2019 at 3:28 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:40 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Nice!!

Here is the skyline as it is today - extremely different from how it will be in 2 years time.
Downtown Los Angeles by Hunter, on Flickr
This is 3-4 years ago folks......Now this should prove what just 3-4 years can do for a skyline. Anybody have a current photo from the same vantage point?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:43 AM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Its astonishing to see how far the city has come in the last decade, let alone the last five years.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:48 AM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Edit

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 3:29 AM

Like i've always said, the next stage in downtown development will be fun because majority of what we have left is smaller normal sized lots and not big oceanwide/metropolis sized lots so downtown will for sure be getting a whole lot more diversity.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Like i've always said, the next stage in downtown development will be fun because majority of what we have left is smaller normal sized lots and not big oceanwide/metropolis sized lots so downtown will for sure be getting a whole lot more diversity.
I agree, and those smaller lots will likely force developers to propose some taller structures.

Side note, I also saw a crew at Oceanwide this week. It looked like there was assessment activity going on, but not sure if they were workers or part of a due diligence team representing a lender or a new buyer

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Please someone just play along with my fantasy and tell me that the next phase is getting permits for clearing the site now and foundation work.
most certainly....if active construction can't begin, at least clear as much of the land as possible from 9th st south to olympic blvd. that alone will be a clean up of a very visible part of dtla.....seen by millions driving by each yr on the harbor fwy.....right now it's too much a reminder of the old, worn out dtla of the past.

btw, the proj of a smaller hotel that was supposed to have been built on 9th st near the offramp, the one whose design some have described as a bldg you'd see in phoenix or vegas, appears to have been cancelled. I drove by the property a few wks ago....just off the 110 fwy...& it has been returned to an active parking lot.

another aspect of a better dt is grand pk....what was once a large parking lot in the 1950s, then a mostly lifeless, unused landscaped mall ever since then, has more recently been give a bit of life. That & the improved music ctr plaza appear to now have a better sense of place.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
This is 3-4 years ago folks......Now this should prove what just 3-4 years can do for a skyline. Anybody have a current photo from the same vantage point?
The top is 2015 and the bottom is estimated to be from June 2019 so almost half a year ago... Albeit the bottom vantage used a telescopic lens as the mountains are much bigger relatively, so skyline looks denser but you can still see the growth. It grown a lot more than I thought wow, and there's even more cranes now.

Last edited by Niftybox; Dec 14, 2019 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 6:27 PM

Tremendous difference. I also find it wonderful that there have been so many residential buildings being built downtown. If I worked downtown and could afford to live downtown it would be a no brainer. Forget traffic.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 1:55 AM
Architectural Designer

Quote:
I took a pic on Thanksgiving Day of roughly the same location.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136978...4/49225805987/

Last edited by ThebiteofSuarez; Dec 16, 2019 at 2:05 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 4:47 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great shot, ThebiteofSuarez!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations