HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Sorry, I am still half asleep. I meant SW first. but still earth work for the whole southern perimeter possible next year. It will likely be a years worth of earthwork or better before any pavement starts. They will apparently be prepping the whole southern and SW perimeter for future 6 lane widths.
That's great news Biff! One question though, if going to three lanes per side how will they manage that with the Lag and Pembina interchanges ?

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 2:18 AM

Could get an additional lane under the Lag overpass. But not over the Pembina Overpass. Unless the loops were reconfigured to join further back somehow, and the six lanes over the bridge were through traffic. And they're doing a full rehab of that overpass right now.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 2:10 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to rehab one side, demolish the other side and move it over to give it the proper space between opposite directions? It might even be possible if expanding to three lanes to push traffic onto the to be demolished side with one lane each way, rehab the other side to three lanes + generous paved shoulder and add a temporary gravel shoulder. Then flip the active side so you have two lanes each direction at reduced speeds for the remaining rehab work.
The idea is to build the new lanes to the south of the existing hwy (just one set of lanes to clarify), open them, drive on the new lanes and the now middle set of lanes, tear out and redo the north set of lanes, divert middle traffic back to the now new northbound lanes and remove the center lanes giving the required separation between the north and south lanes.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 2:15 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
That's great news Biff! One question though, if going to three lanes per side how will they manage that with the Lag and Pembina interchanges ?
The 6 lane widths are just for future only (we all know what future means in Winnipeg). There will need to be new bridges built to accommodate this. What will happen is when the lanes are being reconstructed the road bed will be built in such a way to accommodate 3 lane traffic in either direction.

The Wilkes and Perimeter overpass will be reconstructed in the near future to accommodate the new lane widths.

........please don't ask "then why aren't they rebuilding the Perimeter and 75 and Perimeter and Hwy 1 to these specifications". This is the Province of Manitoba.....they can't be required to plan ahead for every detail - right?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 7:19 PM

Six lanes of traffic will make that street appear more bustling than it actually is and make all the intersections appear even more rediculous and unsightly. Perhaps the perfect busy freeway/residential street hybrid.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The 6 lane widths are just for future only (we all know what future means in Winnipeg). There will need to be new bridges built to accommodate this.
Honestly, I would be perfectly happy to see three lanes between bridges, lights and interchanges with forced exists at those control points. This would at least give us proper acceleration/deceleration lanes for that stretch. It is not like the traffic volume really warrants three lanes of through traffic plus proper entry and exit lanes.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 10:53 PM

That's actually a really good plan Cory. And may be what happens at say Pembina, where the newly refurbished bridges won't support the additional lane. Two lanes continue on, one lane drops off as the exit ramp, then picks up again as the on ramp at the other end, bringing the roadway up to three lanes again. But if it's for a future plan, maybe they'll just upgrade the bridges at that time. After they've had a chance to age for a while.

Pretty much what will be happening at Bishop/kenaston when the fly-over is completed. Three lanes approaching the interchange, one drops off as the turn lanes (or two lanes exiting each way, similar to the dual exit a Pembina/Bishop).

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 1:05 PM

Personally I don't care much about the third lane, I care about safe, efficient free flow traffic. Very happy to hear the rebuilding of the south perimeter is being done soon...hopefully with all the earth removal required for the new lanes, means the earth will be used on Kenaston, St Annes and St Mary's interchanges since I can imagine that the earth required for a cloverleaf is a decent chunk of the overall cost. Maybe they can finish the 59/100 interchange as well?

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That's actually a really good plan Cory. And may be what happens at say Pembina, where the newly refurbished bridges won't support the additional lane. Two lanes continue on, one lane drops off as the exit ramp, then picks up again as the on ramp at the other end, bringing the roadway up to three lanes again.
I can't really take credit for the plan as it is more an observation of the freeways in the Phoenix area and how much better and more safely traffic moves with proper entry and exit lanes. Effectively the Perimeter currently has one through lane and one merge lane.

Quote:
Personally I don't care much about the third lane, I care about safe, efficient free flow traffic. Very happy to hear the rebuilding of the south perimeter is being done soon...hopefully with all the earth removal required for the new lanes, means the earth will be used on Kenaston, St Annes and St Mary's interchanges since I can imagine that the earth required for a cloverleaf is a decent chunk of the overall cost. Maybe they can finish the 59/100 interchange as well?
I would imagine that any earth work for the Perimeter rebuild is neutral at best and may actually require its own earth brought in. We are going from two raised lanes with a ditch to three raised lanes. They might just dig the ditch down and take some earth from the outside which would be a neutral need. The amount of potential surplus seems like it would hardly make a dent even for a single overpass.

That does remind me though of when the government lowered the upper bank of the floodway at 59 by taking away earth for the original Chieg Peagus Trail build.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 3:35 PM

^ Well take credit Cory! Jk, but yeah it does happen this way on pretty much any interstate in an urban area.

Regarding the fill, they would likely bring in large amounts of granular fill as opposed to clay fill. Better for road building. But I can't confirm that.

Also, the floodway still has large amounts of surplus clay piled up along the entire length. If you notice, it looks like the berms are there for flood protection. But there's many openings that are far lower in elevation along the way. Where ditches inlet, roads cross, etc.

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^ Well take credit Cory! Jk, but yeah it does happen this way on pretty much any interstate in an urban area.

Regarding the fill, they would likely bring in large amounts of granular fill as opposed to clay fill. Better for road building. But I can't confirm that.

Also, the floodway still has large amounts of surplus clay piled up along the entire length. If you notice, it looks like the berms are there for flood protection. But there's many openings that are far lower in elevation along the way. Where ditches inlet, roads cross, etc.
South and east flood way berms are just excess earth. The inner ring is the one that counts. They have been removing clay from the outer ring for years now.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 4:07 PM
Mooderator

I'm not sure why Manitoba can't get a few paltry millions to upgrade the Perimeter. Probably gotta wait till the Quebec roads are finished.

Discuss?

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I'm not sure why Manitoba can't get a few paltry millions to upgrade the Perimeter. Probably gotta wait till the Quebec roads are finished.

Discuss?
Isn't it bad form for moderators to engage in trolling?

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 4:32 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Isn't it bad form for moderators to engage in trolling?
Now listen here, Mister Esquire. I'm here to talk about the Perimeter Highway, and all the un-construction that has been happening.

Before I die, I want an interchange at the 2/3/Perimeter intersection. If Humpty's has move or be demolished, so be it. (and I loved that place for breakfast, more than I loved Perkins on Pembina).

(ps to anyone following, I'm from rural Manitoba, not Quebec)

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 4:44 PM

I'm happy to advise that your dreams are about to come true! (* Provided that you stay alive for the next 5 years)

This press release from November promises the construction of "a new interstate standard diamond interchange at PTH 3 (McGillivray Boulevard)" at some point by 2018.

Got that? This is not some namby-pamby Ontario style diamond interchange. This is a full on INTERSTATE STANDARD DIAMOND INTERCHANGE, like the very best ones in Texas, California and New York. The unbelievably high quality of this INTERSTATE STANDARD DIAMOND INTERCHANGE must be why it is taking 5 years to design and build, but let's not quibble about that.

I haven't confirmed this anywhere, but I fully expect that the Humpty's Restaurant will be blown up with dynamite at some point in the future, because that is the kind of thing that you do when you're building an INTERSTATE STANDARD DIAMOND INTERCHANGE... you just don't mess around.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 4:55 PM
Mooderator

As long as that Humpty's is blown up, I am glad. Their coffee sucks. No transcontinental trucker should be able to tell his wife about the shit coffee that percolates from that place.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm happy to advise that your dreams are about to come true! (* Provided that you stay alive for the next 5 years)

This press release from November promises the construction of "a new interstate standard diamond interchange at PTH 3 (McGillivray Boulevard)" at some point by 2018.

Got that? This is not some namby-pamby Ontario style diamond interchange. This is a full on INTERSTATE STANDARD DIAMOND INTERCHANGE, like the very best ones in Texas, California and New York. The unbelievably high quality of this INTERSTATE STANDARD DIAMOND INTERCHANGE must be why it is taking 5 years to design and build, but let's not quibble about that.

I haven't confirmed this anywhere, but I fully expect that the Humpty's Restaurant will be blown up with dynamite at some point in the future, because that is the kind of thing that you do when you're building an INTERSTATE STANDARD DIAMOND INTERCHANGE... you just don't mess around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
As long as that Humpty's is blown up, I am glad. Their coffee sucks. No transcontinental trucker should be able to tell his wife about the shit coffee that percolates from that place.
These two posts

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 4:00 AM

We have to realize, the difference between what the Prov. govt. thinks is an Interstate diamond interchange, and what an actual Interstate diamond interchange is! Afterall, this is the govt. that promised to balance the budget by 2014!

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 9:45 PM

This province is such a joke when it comes to infrastructure. Sitting in a lineup at least 2km long on NB east perimeter at Dugald because of a train creeping along and an accident at 15/101. At an intersection that was just rebuilt a couple yrs ago and they coulda put in an interchange or at least a rail overpass at the time.

Now someone else is injured or dead because of this cheap province. Unbelievable.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:30 AM

Quote:
This province is such a joke when it comes to infrastructure. Sitting in a lineup at least 2km long on NB east perimeter at Dugald because of a train creeping along and an accident at 15/101. At an intersection that was just rebuilt a couple yrs ago and they coulda put in an interchange or at least a rail overpass at the time.

Now someone else is injured or dead because of this cheap province. Unbelievable.
But there was a flood... or two! And all that money got washed away.

It's pretty sad considering they had a detour all set up, ready for a interchange to be built. Instead they built a large at grade intersection.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan