HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I think it looks great. Much better than regular boring glass box or "contextual" ye olde style.

I'm a big fan of the architects, though, so quite biased. I love their existing projects, especially Barclays Center, the East River Promenade, and some of their residential buildings. They have a great sense of animating the street. They design truly urban and pedestrian-oriented landscapes.
Word.

It's interesting to compare the aesthetic and design philosophy of this large, multi-block development to another, such as Hudson Yards. Both are successful in very different ways. And both are products of and appropriate contemporary representatives of their respective boroughs. (Never mind if one thinks they are out of scale and all that jazz.)

I dig this a lot and hope it goes up as close to this vision as possible. It will be a great area to enjoy.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 11:22 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...NION/306099979

Brooklyn would hit new heights with Domino Sugar development
Plans by SHoP architects and Field Operations would create a new vision.

By Steve Hindy
June 9, 2013

Quote:
The Williamsburg Savings Bank Building opened in downtown Brooklyn in 1929. It was a vision of a soaring Brooklyn, with a clock tower higher than London's Big Ben, a façade with elaborate limestone gargoyles and a breathtaking ground-floor rotunda with 63-foot ceilings, 40-foot windows and mosaics that rivaled the Byzantines'. But the 512-foot tower sat there lonely for 81 years, and in my household was known as the "tower of pain" because so many tenants were dentists and oral surgeons.

Now, tall apartment towers are rising along the Flatbush Avenue corridor, and I hear people complaining the newcomers have no character, that they could be in Jersey City or Dallas. There are similar complaints about the waterfront development in Williamsburg.

For some reason, some people seem to think no one should build higher than the Williamsburg Savings Bank Building, now a residential building known as 1 Hanson Place. But I am asking: Why should Brooklyn be limited to a vision that was realized in 1929?

The City Planning Commission is now weighing Jed Walentas' proposal for a bold redo of the plan to develop the Domino Sugar factory site in Williamsburg with an exciting series of buildings that would create a new vision of a 21st-century Brooklyn. Designed by SHoP architects and landscape architecture firm Field Operations, the 11-acre site would include a 598-foot tower and three smaller buildings, two shaped like big rectangular doughnuts and a third that evokes the step pyramid in Egypt, at least to my eye.

The new design would replace a ho-hum vision that reminds me of the mental hospital on Randall's Island visible from the Triborough, now Robert F. Kennedy, Bridge.

Manhattan is Manhattan. Its crowning glories are 1 World Trade Center and the Empire State Building. I haven't been to the Far East, but friends tell me the skylines of Shanghai and Jakarta make Manhattan look like a quaint 20th-century city.

Brooklyn is not Manhattan. Why can't Brooklyn be different? Why can't Brooklyn be a 21st-century city?

Walentas' vision changes the Domino plan from a residential development to a mixed-use development, making space for the many tech and culinary startups that are clamoring for more commercial and industrial space in the city. That means jobs as well as affordable housing.

By going higher, it opens up much more space for the people of Williamsburg, one of the most park-starved neighborhoods in the city.

Bruce Ratner was the last developer to try to sell Brooklyn a new vision. His Frank Gehry-designed Atlantic Yards faded after opponents fought it from every possible angle for almost a decade. SHoP's Barclays Arena is a wonderful addition to downtown Brooklyn. Most arenas and stadiums around the country look like airplane hangars with signs. I hope the Planning Commission allows the Domino project to proceed. Brooklyn is ready to soar.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 4:40 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 6:11 PM
Come As You Are

Why couldn't this have had just a plain glass facade? Incoherentness in design ruins any building. Just replace the weird criss-cross nonsense with smooth, 4WTC-esque glass and it would look fine...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 5:30 PM

Don't understand this kind of NIMBYism, as the developer is restoring the refinery building. Yes some of the buildings will be removed but the key building will remain. Without the developer in the picture this site will sit and rot, and maybe even collapse after a few years.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 5:42 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
Don't understand this kind of NIMBYism, as the developer is restoring the refinery building. Yes some of the buildings will be removed but the key building will remain. Without the developer in the picture this site will sit and rot, and maybe even collapse after a few years.
I really think its just people who have nothing better to do. You really don't see the 9 to 5 with a family to support out there during work hours protesting.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
They would be just fine with that. Nobody cares about anything until someone wants to actually do something with it. Then, suddenly they're in action. These people only care about it because there is development happening.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 11:05 PM

It's like there is some strange obsession with preventing new development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
They would be just fine with that. Nobody cares about anything until someone wants to actually do something with it. Then, suddenly they're in action. These people only care about it because there is development happening.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 11:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It's like there is some strange obsession with preventing new development.
Yeah, just think about it. If there is an abandoned building on a block, nobody really cares, it's just there. But if someone comes along with a plan to put new life into the building, it's suddenly "hold on there, but this building had a past...". Never mind that it's been sitting there rotting and blighting the area.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:21 AM

The sugar plant looks amazing as is, I admit that. Part of me feels sad that it's reaching it's end- I love old industrial Brooklyn, and I can understand those with a sentimental streak. However, the whole place is just sitting there decaying. Landmarking won't make any difference here since it's not currently used for anything. I am excited that part of the old interesting structure is going to be preserved. NIMBYs should think of this as an blessing- their beloved landmark is, in part, going to be preserved.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 11:29 AM

Demo projected to begin next month: http://bedfordandbowery.com/2013/08/...rt-next-month/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 1:29 PM

I'm not really that impressed by the renderings. The new design is much better than the old one, however. The old design was shit.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 2:39 PM

Slightly O/T but I saw this today and thought some of you might get a kick out of it.

jglover1028

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 4:52 PM

^^^ Okay which SSP forumer was it?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 8:49 PM
New Yorker for life

I like that.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 6:06 AM
aka Studdedleather

Last-Minute Push for Approval of Domino Design Before Mayor Leaves Office
http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013...-frontpage-top

Quote:
Two Trees is seeking approval for SHoP’s unexpected design for the Domino complex from city planning before Amanda Burden steps down and Bloomberg leaves office. Approvals after that will have to wait at least a year while the new mayor appoints commissions, according to a story in Crain’s. While the design has been met with much more critical and public acclaim than the previous plan, Burden’s approval is by no means certain, said the story.
Quote:
The scheme deviates considerably from what Ms. Burden spent years crafting up and down the East River waterfront, and Two Trees is struggling to bring her around to its proposal, according to sources. Two Trees had hoped its 2,200 apartments on the site would have been certified by June—the first step in the six-month review process. Now, with negotiations ongoing, the developer hopes for a September certification. That would still leave enough time for Ms. Burden and the planning commission to approve the project, but it would fall to local Councilman Stephen Levin to shepherd Domino through the City Council next year.
Hopefully everything works out as planned! This design (everything from the new heights and architecture) needs to get approved ASAP!!!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 1:13 AM

It would be cool if they could keep the chute that runs from the larger portion to the smaller portion, but I can't really complain about this project. It's going to be infinitely better than the emptiness of what was there before.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 12:40 AM
JACKinBeantown

I actually don't mind either plan. It's not what I would design, but there's so much bad architecture out there that gets approved that it's hard to complain about that which is actually above mediocre.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 7:00 AM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction