HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
"Catch up" is exactly what this is. Why do we have such bad infrastructure here? Can anyone give me a simple explanation? I know we had some flooding issues that apparently sucked up a large chunk of infrastructure money, but seriously... our roads are a joke.

I got the privilege to drive along Anthony Henday Drive in Edmonton last week. That is one hell of a drive. Then I came back home and realized how bad things really are. The more time I spend away in other cities, the more I realize how terrible our infrastructure really is.
Next time you should take a drive in Montreal.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 8:58 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Why do we have such bad infrastructure here? Can anyone give me a simple explanation?
Yes, absolutely. For the past 15 years this government has been singularly focused on growing the civil service. Infrastructure has been the absolute lowest priority as infrastructure spending does nothing for the MGEU.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
What does that mean? I've never been to Montreal.
From Google Maps I see they at least have grade separation on most major roadways.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 9:09 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
From Google Maps I see they at least have grade separation on most major roadways.
Roads, bridges in Montreal are in rough shape there too. But to compare Winnipeg's infrastructure deficit with Montreal's is ludicrous. They at least have the roads of a real city.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
I think what he means is our roadways are shit. Although there's no debating the complexity of Montreal's road network, most people will agree it doesn't make for a pleasant drive when you consider the state of disrepair & the neverending road closures,detours, etc.

But tbh it has gotten much better in recent years, so If Winnie's roads are as bad you claim, they may very well be worse than Montreal's at this point.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 9:12 PM

Remember the tunnel portal that collapsed in Montreal a couple years ago. More of that could happen at any second. But they do have, well, tunnels and freeways.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 9:32 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Roads, bridges in Montreal are in rough shape there too. But to compare Winnipeg's infrastructure deficit with Montreal's is ludicrous. They at least have the roads of a real city.
Rawr -- "Real" roads...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-brandon/3092346832/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 9:32 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Montreal is definitely crumbling.

I was there in March, and can safely say that some of those freeway flyovers didn't inspire a lot of confidence when driving under them.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm going to make an assumption they will be interchanges. Otherwise, what's the point really?
I would think a simple flyover for inbound city traffic via the bypasses should suffice..

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:06 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Montreal is definitely crumbling.

I was there in March, and can safely say that some of those freeway flyovers didn't inspire a lot of confidence when driving under them.
That bridge collapse from a few years ago, ain't comforting to think about either, and I'm heading over there next month... by car.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:14 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. For the past 15 years this government has been singularly focused on growing the civil service. Infrastructure has been the absolute lowest priority as infrastructure spending does nothing for the MGEU.
They've increased infrastructure spending by over 200% above what it was. They may have taken a while to start (8 years), but since then they've spent a lot of money on infrastructure, and have actually started addressing the issues. Sure, it's time for a change, but credit where credit is due.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:17 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Pure pandering is what you are referring to. What has been built lately? The Centreport road to nowhere? What else?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:20 AM
Heart of the Continent

They've brought provincial highways back from the point of where they were almost undriveable. They now often have paved shoulders and smooth surfaces where before that wasn't the case. The big projects are taking more time than I'd like for sure, but the money has been flowing, increasing from just $150M in 2005 to near $600M now.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:33 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Repaving roads - what every other government does without announcement, without fanfare.

Pffft.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:45 AM
Heart of the Continent

Every government does that with fanfare. It isn't just about replacement, it's about a mass investment to bring our roads up to par. Now that the ground work is done, it seems they're moving on to the bigger stuff. Better late than never I suppose.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:08 PM

Quote:
I thought you were more referring to the state of repair of the infrastructure as opposed to the type of it. Certainly Montreal has superior "types" of roads, but it also 3.8MM people living in a smaller area than the size of Winnipeg so it's density is greater than 5 times that of Winnipeg.

I was referring to the upkeep of the infrastructure there. The aforementioned bridge troubles. There have been several huge sink holes on ste catherines downtown, one swallowing a backhoe when they were starting to repair it. The city is finally going to properly repair the street now. I think 24 structures in the city was deemed to be in critical need of repair. Trust me, Montreal infrastruture if in worse condition than Winnipeg

And if you think Winnipeg projects get delayed. Take a look at this beauty. A ramp by the airport that has remained half finished for years. Literally a bridge to nowhere.
"Only in Quebec: Four-year project six years behind schedule"
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/only-in-q...dule-1.1403091

My point is so many people complain about Winnipeg and it's infrastructure, as if it's a Winnipeg only issue, like Winnipeg is the only city with potholes. These issues happen all over the place and Winnipeg is not the worst of the lot. I think the biggest issue with Winnipeg is its far too spread out. Too much road per person to maintain.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
I would think a simple flyover for inbound city traffic via the bypasses should suffice..
Can we include a couple of toll booths for that inbound city traffic? It would include a once a month exemption for any out of province plates.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Can we include a couple of toll booths for that inbound city traffic? It would include a once a month exemption for any out of province plates.
Big supporter of toll freeways but only if the fares don't negate the savings of using it. Say..if it was a two dollar fare one way. If one lives in the suburbs but works on the opposite end of town, you should easily get the money back in the form of gas savings. But more importantly would be the savings in leisure time, which I consider priceless. Now if you live in transcona and work in saint boniface, you wouldnt save as much time or money.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 3:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Ask anyone who works at the MB govt.'s crown corp.'s how many positions they've added to bloat the payrolls!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 3:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Every government does that with fanfare. It isn't just about replacement, it's about a mass investment to bring our roads up to par. Now that the ground work is done, it seems they're moving on to the bigger stuff. Better late than never I suppose.
SpeNDP have been in power since 1999 but it takes until 2014 until they finally realize a need to spend on infrastructure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan