HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 2:58 PM

I did some investigating. There is a 10" waterline that deadends at the SE corner that was installed in 1984 for the Perth's facility. It looks like they were abandoning the service. They just used shoring because they didn't want to risk having to replace the sidewalk. I have no idea about the construction otherwise.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 4:42 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Count the cranes:

I see two and maybe a third one just to the right of DCondo?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 4:44 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
I see two and maybe a third one just to the right of DCondo?
There's also one for 180 Roslyn on the far right.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
There are actually 4 in this pic!
221 Stradbrook off in the distance and 180 Roslyn in the top right?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 4:47 PM
Formerly rypinion

I wish as part of this they would go in and just turn St Mary/Colony into a normal intersection.

Normally an island in the middle would be good for pedestrians, but instead this one is quite awkward to get across, and it also facilitates high speed for straight through westbound traffic.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:24 PM

Hopefully they don't paint this thing grey to go along with Timbercreek's stupid (but so perfectly Timbercreek) conversion of Colony Square.

Hopefully it looks a little more lively than the render. I agree that the lack of windows is getting a bit ridiculous.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
221 Stradbrook off in the distance and 180 Roslyn in the top right?
Yep! Highly pixelated but cranes nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
I wish as part of this they would go in and just turn St Mary/Colony into a normal intersection.

Normally an island in the middle would be good for pedestrians, but instead this one is quite awkward to get across, and it also facilitates high speed for straight through westbound traffic.
Agreed. Cars that speed up to make the westbound light on St. Mary end up flying around the corner right where this development is. And the cars going east have that rather blind corner turning south onto Colony. The whole thing is a little scary.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Cars that speed up to make the westbound light on St. Mary end up flying around the corner right where this development is. And the cars going east have that rather blind corner turning south onto Colony. The whole thing is a little scary.
Maybe the issue is that those cars are crossing 9 lanes to the north and TWELVE to the south.

I don't even know why Memorial needs to exist for traffic at all, let alone be 3 lanes each way. I know the city is removing one lane, but even still it's overkill.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 9:28 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I don't even know why Memorial needs to exist for traffic at all, let alone be 3 lanes each way. I know the city is removing one lane, but even still it's overkill.
Seems like a perfect opportunity to "extend" Graham and make it bus only. You could give a couple lanes to buses for the one block on Broadway as well and give buses traffic light priority.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Seems like a perfect opportunity to "extend" Graham and make it bus only. You could give a couple lanes to buses for the one block on Broadway as well and give buses traffic light priority.
Not sure what you mean here? Extend Graham... through The Bay? What about the Broadway block?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 3:30 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Not sure what you mean here? Extend Graham... through The Bay? What about the Broadway block?
Sorry, figured the air quotes somehow made it clear. Extend the concept of graham, i.e. a bus-only street.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Sorry, figured the air quotes somehow made it clear. Extend the concept of graham, i.e. a bus-only street.
Ah. Yeah I guess you could but considering there's nothing on Memorial, don't know if it'd really make sense.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 6:33 AM

Not to mention Memorial is in embarrassingly horrendous shape and its lack of any design elements (ie: classier lighting, street furniture, etc) for its extremely prominent location is a real let down. The completed section of the ongoing renovation of Vimy Ridge Park should be the standard for Memorial!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 11:59 PM

^ Memorial is in downright embarrassing shape. I can't think of a street downtown that is in worse condition. Which is awful considering how prominent it is.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Not to mention Memorial is in embarrassingly horrendous shape and its lack of any design elements (ie: classier lighting, street furniture, etc) for its extremely prominent location is a real let down. The completed section of the ongoing renovation of Vimy Ridge Park should be the standard for Memorial!
Memorial Blvd from Broadway to St Mary is a Provincial responsibility. Talk to the Premier!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Memorial Blvd from Broadway to St Mary is a Provincial responsibility. Talk to the Premier!
that explains why the Canada summer games banners were up on that block until December last year LOL

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Are you sure? Because the city is redoing from Ellice all the way to York:

https://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/...l.stm#tab-maps

I think I've said it on here many times but I'd just like to see the city/prov make Memorial bike & pedestrian only and completely redo Memorial Park and make it more useful. Memorial doesn't really need to exist – the only benefit of its existence right now is for SB left turns onto Broadway, as you can't on Osborne. But we could do some minor tweaks and just use York for that.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Are you sure? Because the city is redoing from Ellice all the way to York:

https://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/...l.stm#tab-maps

I think I've said it on here many times but I'd just like to see the city/prov make Memorial bike & pedestrian only and completely redo Memorial Park and make it more useful. Memorial doesn't really need to exist – the only benefit of its existence right now is for SB left turns onto Broadway, as you can't on Osborne. But we could do some minor tweaks and just use York for that.
Actually I was wrong. Just from Broadway to York.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 4:42 PM

Ah, cool. This still seems like a super short-sighted plan though. We should be having conversations about how to better use all that space before we spend all this money on remodelling the roads here. It's like how they completely redid Osborne (from the Bridge to St. Mary) the year before we really got going on bike lanes, and missed out on a huge opportunity.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
How about Memorial as a woonerf so it continues to exist as a street, but with more room for pedestrians, cyclists, etc.?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan