HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 2:07 AM

Looks like they put as much care into the accuracy of those shirts as the NFL did into the ensuring a safe playing surface at IG Field.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 4:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Looks like they put as much care into the accuracy of those shirts as the NFL did into the ensuring a safe playing surface at IG Field.
What shit show, an overpriced embarrassing uninteresting colossal shit show, some of the stink deserves to be on fat Miller and the Blue Bomber board for bringing in the game!

Playing it on a 80 yard field with pylons as markers sums up the event perfectly!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 5:47 AM

When the Bills played those games in Toronto, the CFL goalpost slots were properly covered. I wonder what the issue was at IG field.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
What shit show, an overpriced embarrassing uninteresting colossal shit show, some of the stink deserves to be on fat Miller and the Blue Bomber board for bringing in the game!

Playing it on a 80 yard field with pylons as markers sums up the event perfectly!
The funny thing is the NFL was in charge of the entire conversion...at least I seem to remember reading that in the Free Press article a couple days ago. They approved it and Green Bay had concerns so they decided not to dress any of their starters. Packers did this a few years ago as well forcing the cancellation of the Hall of Fame game. Raiders decided to follow suit - not dress any starters.

Miller should take a little bit of heat I agree. Bombers did receive a nice little rental fee for the facility but it ultimately looks bad that very few attended this event even though it is justified due to the outrageous ticket prices. Miller had to have known what they would charge beforehand and I bet he thought Winnipeggers would pay the price for this exhibition game.

There was also some musing about how this game might serve as a recruiting tool for prospective players to Bombers CFL camps in future years once they see/hear about the facilities. Well, with the debacle with the goal posts and patch of grass in the end zone that was deemed unsafe despite approval by the NFL, will the facility serve instead as a deterrent to recruitment...I mean, this debacle with the field does not fall at the feet of the Bombers but the perception out there among the players might be that IG Field is substandard and not worthy of consideration of Ex-NFLers.

Maybe time will tell.

Overall, this has to be viewed as a a failure.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 12:47 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Can you ship it to Mikes Parcel Pickup in Pembina ND and drive there to get it?
Yes.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 12:50 PM

How is any of this on Miller or the Bombers? They just rented the place out, they didn't put on the event. If some concert promoter rents out the MTS Centre for a band that shows up with only half its members and the ones who are there forget the words to all the songs, is that Chipman's fault?

Anyway, the whole thing was such a debacle that it verged on fraudulent. I feel badly for the handful of people who paid good money for tickets, only to end up with a bunch of backups, practice roster players and imminent cuts playing on a truncated field, in front of thousands of empty seats and very little atmosphere. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where a NFL game in Winnipeg could have been staged in a way that was any worse than what we saw last night. Just a total fiasco from start to finish.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 1:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Having been to and seen games in almost half of the cities in the NFL I had zero interest in this pre-season game here in Winnipeg. Having said that, I had some curiosity to watch the first quarter and see how things looked in good old Winnipeg, Alberta.

I sat down with my 13 year old son and promptly said "what the fuck is this?'". No kick-off, no fans, 80 yard field, no starters what-so-ever. Thanks god I didn't go. After watching the first series by Green Bay we went outside to shoot some hoops.

Seeing the two teams playing on a field where the endzones were made up of orange cones on the 10 yard line like ten year old flag football was unbelievable.

Unfortunately, even though the Bombers or the City of Winnipeg were not involved in the production of this event it will show poorly on our city and stadium for years to come...like it or not.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 2:02 PM

The Bombers have zero to do with that game, the field, or whatever shenanigans have gone on. They just play football in the stadium.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 2:54 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Having been to and seen games in almost half of the cities in the NFL I had zero interest in this pre-season game here in Winnipeg. Having said that, I had some curiosity to watch the first quarter and see how things looked in good old Winnipeg, Alberta.

I sat down with my 13 year old son and promptly said "what the fuck is this?'". No kick-off, no fans, 80 yard field, no starters what-so-ever. Thanks god I didn't go. After watching the first series by Green Bay we went outside to shoot some hoops.

Seeing the two teams playing on a field where the endzones were made up of orange cones on the 10 yard line like ten year old flag football was unbelievable.

Unfortunately, even though the Bombers or the City of Winnipeg were not involved in the production of this event it will show poorly on our city and stadium for years to come...like it or not.
Hope you added some money to the swear jar! That F-sharp would have cost me $1.50 as per my 8-year old.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 3:05 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Totally agree Biff. Which is why I lay some of the blame at the feet of Miller and the board. This made Winnipeg look like an amateur city. The whole game was a total embarrassment from start to finish. They should be ashamed.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The Bombers have zero to do with that game, the field, or whatever shenanigans have gone on. They just play football in the stadium.
And whose idea was it to show the game on the big screen at the Forks....a friggin exhibition game for two teams no one gives a shit about, really, who ever came up with that idea needs a slap in the head!

Seriously it was almost an insult to our own HOME team the Blue Bombers!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
And whose idea was it to show the game on the big screen at the Forks....a friggin exhibition game for two teams no one gives a shit about, really, who ever came up with that idea needs a slap in the head!

Seriously it was almost an insult to our own HOME team the Blue Bombers!
Let me get this straight, the Bombers insulted themselves by having a watch-party for last night's game? You are really looking for reasons to gripe about the Bombers.

Personally I don't think I've ever appreciated the Bombers more after seeing that shit-show.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Big first place showdown for the Bombers tomorrow, can they pull it off without everyone's favourite whipping boy lining up behind centre?
Everyone keeps talking up how Streveler is the future and the best QB the team has. Now it is time to prove that.

In terms of "first place" in the west, keep in mind this is our second and final game v Edmonton this year. Standings are: total wins, team with the most wins between the tied team, then total of all points between those teams.

With that in mind, to give up first the Bombers would need to lose by more than 7 points tonight. If the Bombers lose by exactly seven points someone needs to dig deeper into the tie breaking rules.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Let me get this straight, the Bombers insulted themselves by having a watch-party for last night's game? You are really looking for reasons to gripe about the Bombers.

Personally I don't think I've ever appreciated the Bombers more after seeing that shit-show.
Yep, it probably almost had the opposite effect of reinforcing for local football fans the Canadian league and our local professional team.

As for people who think this is a black mark on the city for years to come... I doubt that, beyond maybe a tiny but persistent minority of fearfully cantankerous and self-loathing Winnipeggers who never let anything go, however small (Glen Murray's 'wasteful' street parties, the Exchange District being passed over as a Legends of the Fall filming location, etc.), and think any misstep by any local institution or occurs here is an existential threat to the city's psyche.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 3:59 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Hope you added some money to the swear jar! That F-sharp would have cost me $1.50 as per my 8-year old.
....eeeeh. Probably not the greatest of parenting but. Both my wife and I are quite potty mouths but I figure that we focus on teaching the kids to be respectful, good people. Swearing....not so much
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 4:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:

The Blue Bombers or whoever undoubtedly decided to have a viewing party for a shitty NFL preseason game at the Forks needs a slap!

If it was the Forks, it was slight to the Bombers!

If it was the BB's what can you say!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:

Yep, me too. And the Canadian Football League more generally.

Manitoba premier Pallister says fans disappointed after NFL controversy
https://www.tsn.ca/manitoba-premier-...ersy-1.1355016

"When asked if he was concerned if the game could have an impact on future events in Manitoba, Pallister said, "I hope it reminds people to support the Bombers, support the Jets, support the Goldeyes, support every sports franchise we have got in the city and province and make sure that our young athletes are encouraged, nurtured...."

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Yep, it probably almost had the opposite effect of reinforcing for local football fans the Canadian league and our local professional team.

As for people who think this is a black mark on the city for years to come... I doubt that, beyond maybe a tiny but persistent minority of fearfully cantankerous and self-loathing Winnipeggers who never let anything go, however small (Glen Murray's 'wasteful' street parties, the Exchange District being passed over as a Legends of the Fall filming location, etc.), and think any misstep by any local institution or occurs here is an existential threat to the city's psyche.
Yeah the overreaction is kinda hilarious. No one outside of Manitoba will care or even remember this in 2 months.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post

I agree completely. The game was embarrassing, but most people will have forgotten about it very shortly (except for that cantankerous minority you so accurately spoke of). In a world where a teen in BC is poisoned and his death posted on the internet, the Amazon rainforest is on fire and Trump is still president of the U.S. the game is a complete non-issue.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 7:03 PM

The whole thing was just a play. Was Aaron Rogers ever going to play? Really though? They made mountains out of mole hills. Literally.

A small square of turf in the endzone is now a major issue. When Oakland plays on a sand field with numerous transitions from grass to sand. A small thing in the endzone is now high risk.

Who cares. What was the paid attendance? Do we know? Actual paid vs the freebies they gave out the last couple days. How did it look on TV? Looked empty from the few photos I've seen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan