HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Madison Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 3:05 PM
low-riding

Smile NEW YORK | One Madison Park (The Saya) | 617 FT / 188 M | 51 FLOORS | T/O

One Madison Park
617 ft/188 m
51 floors
Construction: 2006 through 2008
Cetra Ruddy Architects and Slazer Enterprises

This was designed by Cetra Ruddy and Slazer Enterprises. Its official address is 20 East 23rd Street. They later named it The Saya and then renamed it a more upscale 1 Madison Park. It sits directly at the mouth of Madison Ave visually terminating the street. It is caddy corner to Madison Square Park and caddy corner to the Metropolitan Life Insurance Clock Tower, once the world's tallest building.

1 Madison Park will have 90 units including 18 full floor units and 1 triplex. The tower is as of 8/25/08 virtually sold out and such a success that an accompanying tower is planned for an adjacent lot at 23 west 22nd street that is being designed by Rem Koolhaas.

This is the 2nd tallest building south of the Empire State Building but north of downtown. Only the clocktower is taller.

8/24/08

With the Met Life Clocktower

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 3:14 PM

Thanks for the thread and update Scruffy. I polished up the title/format and added it to the compilation thread.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 2:32 AM
Kings County Cookin'

This sprout is a lovely addition to the midtown-downtown scraper doldrums.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 2:38 AM
World Machine

I love that last shot of OMP and MetLife. It's a perfect mix of old and new.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 2:50 AM

Wow, it's that tall already? The last photo I saw had it barely out of the ground.

It's pretty cool how the footprint of the tower is almost the same as the Clocktower. It compliments nicely and doesn't overpower.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 7:11 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Wow, it's that tall already? The last photo I saw had it barely out of the ground.

It's pretty cool how the footprint of the tower is almost the same as the Clocktower. It compliments nicely and doesn't overpower.
To top it off, it's a great design as well.

Thanks for recreating a bunch of the lost NY threads Scruffy.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 10:49 PM
Ex Houstonian

What an incredible building! I really like it, I would have thought it may have impacted the Met Life building but it really hasnt. Its awesome to see such retro modern buildings next to old masterpieces.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 5:57 PM
Bionic Boogie

Dizzying Heights !!! September 21, 2008

SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 7:25 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Nearing completion, I see. When's move-in supposed to start?

/thanx for the update Carlos
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 8:52 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

By: jwalas - Skyscrapercity

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 7:08 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Very close to topping out.

By: lofter1 - Wired New York

From the Brooklyn Bridge

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 8:25 PM
Teutonic Barbar

I hate them for permitting this box of crap right next to the MetLife Tower and Flatiron Building.

Totally spoiling the historical ensemble surrounding it. NYC loses more and more of its once unique character! Just due to a blind urban development.

(Btw, I know NYC is a city of contrasts, blah blubb... It may be so, but this place was just a great unspoiled area of the very first record highrises and skyscraper developments of the world. Why afflict it with such a random, plain ugly glass box? )

Architecture is the prosecution of nature in its constructional work. - Friedrich Schinkel

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
I hate them for permitting this box of crap right next to the MetLife Tower and Flatiron Building.

Totally spoiling the historical ensemble surrounding it. NYC loses more and more of its once unique character! Just due to a blind urban development.

(Btw, I know NYC is a city of contrasts, blah blubb... It may be so, but this place was just a great unspoiled area of the very first record highrises and skyscraper developments of the world. Why afflict it with such a random, plain ugly glass box? )
Yea, New York should be frozen and put under a dome and there should be no more development in the city.

You think this is an "ugly box" but there are some that think the Metlife is an old POS. I certainly don't think so, but we all have different tastes.

I (and most) think One Madison Park is beautiful and it would terrible if NYC was nothing but old buildings.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Eh, I was there this past Sunday (Shake Shack!) and don't think this building detracts from either Metlife or Flatiron.

Remember there's that black box next to Credit Suisse already that's been there for decades.

This is a pretty skinny building with light glass, and Metlife and Flatiron were never really in the same vista to the observer on the ground anyway. I don't think the city should approve or disapprove buildings because of how it will look to somebody walking over the Brooklyn Bridge...
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 5:20 AM
Everywhere all at once

Many say that this tower is the shot of life that Madison Square truly needed. This, along with One Madison Avenue and the recent realigning of avenues surrounding the park, is bringing this part of the city full-force into the 21st Century.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 8:45 AM

By: lofter1 - Wired New York

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 3:09 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Here's one I took from the Manhattan Bridge last month; this building has a fair impact on that part of the skyline:

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 6:23 PM
Ex Houstonian

This building is just amazing, I have never seen anything like it. Its like someone just erected a glass pillar in the middle of the city. Is each floor just one apartment? It seems that if it were more than one apartment per floor they wouldnt be very big, but than again thats Manhattan and 6 square feet go for 5000 dollars a month lol.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 9:21 PM
Teutonic Barbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL View Post
Yea, New York should be frozen and put under a dome and there should be no more development in the city.
Better no development at all than blind development.

This tower is nothin but a disgrace to the most historical skyscraper ensemble of the world.

They could have build it elsewhere and spoil some 70s-apartment blocks - but why here?

Architecture is the prosecution of nature in its constructional work. - Friedrich Schinkel

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 10:17 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Better no development at all than blind development.
Right, because Paris set a great precedent when they froze all highrise development there. A decision so longlasting and insightful that it was recently repealed. To say 'no development' is to say 'fuck you if you don't have a place to live and can't afford new digs.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersbenzaehler
This tower is nothin but a disgrace to the most historical skyscraper ensemble of the world.
I'm sure you've been to Madison Square several times and thus have a very comprehensive understanding of how One Madison Square single-handedly destroyed the historic vibe there as well as essentially ruined the entire neighbourhood by its presence. Oh wait, I'm almost positive you have not, as this building takes up the width of about one tenement and is hardly the only modern building in the area. Also, if we judged every new building as 'a disgrace to the historical skyscraper ensemble of the world' we would have never built our Singer Buildings, Woolworth Buildings, Chrysler Buildings, Empire State Buildings, World Trade Centers or really any other skyscraper built after 1900 for that matter. And I'm sure even then people like you would've said that skyscrapers themselves are a disgrace to historical architecture and conventional urbanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersbenzaehler
They could have build it elsewhere and spoil some 70s-apartment blocks - but why here?
Why here? Because there is demand for luxury housing here. Just because a bleeding heart architect might want to see some shitty '70s apt blocks get replaced doesn't mean a developer or potential buyers do. It's just idealism. The places in Manhattan where there are huge complexes of apartments (Stuy-Town, Peter Cooper Village, etc.) are worlds apart from 23rd and Broadway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive