HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 11:46 PM

This is wonderful news for the whole greater Moncton area, it makes me happy to see all of this taking place and honestly it's wonderful that Dieppe's downtown is becoming full, still crossed fingers that Angie's and that strip mall will be turned into something better, add in that apartment over looking Monctons eastend and the mall.. Things are looking up for the city literally

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 1:21 AM

Acadie Nouvelle posted an article a couple of weeks ago stating that there's a lot of opposition to the 10-storey building (Horizon Place), but we should know in a few weeks whether or not it'll go ahead.

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...aideur-projet/

"des citoyens s’insurgent contre la laideur du projet": citizens protest the project's ugliness

The city's urbanism committee met this week to discuss the project and how to advise council. A vote on the project is scheduled for June 13.

The developer is adamant that the building would fill within 18 months, claiming that 35 people are ready to make deposits.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 1:44 AM

Why would they have opposition, other than the few homes, it's near the mall in a more commercial area, I cannot stand the id not want people looking in my back yard mentality... This is why Dieppe/Moncton don't have many tall apartment complexes.. Everyone is against it.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 3:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Acadie Nouvelle posted an article a couple of weeks ago stating that there's a lot of opposition to the 10-storey building (Horizon Place), but we should know in a few weeks whether or not it'll go ahead.

"des citoyens s’insurgent contre la laideur du projet": citizens protest the project's ugliness

The city's urbanism committee met this week to discuss the project and how to advise council. A vote on the project is scheduled for June 13.
I would not describe Horizon Place as being ugly. The worst perjorative that I would personally use is "generic".

I think the main problem is that this project is something completely different for this particular neighbourhood. All I can tell the neighbours is to "get over it". This part of Dieppe is next to Champlain Place and within a few short blocks of the main Champlain/Acadie intersection. In other words, this is just about as "downtown" as it possibly gets in Dieppe. High density development in this neighbourhood will occur, and increasingly so over the next couple of decades. Horizon Place has the misfortune of being the first (and therefore a source of consternation for residents), but it will most certainly not be the last. This area of Dieppe will be nearly unrecognizable in 20 years time. If people don't like it, they had jolly well better consider moving........

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 11:08 AM

I don't remember if it was said here, or not but I'm glad that they have an approximate opening date of Spring 2017 for the Wingate Hotel, and Convention centre.

I do hope that we will be seeing positive news on Horizon Place as well very soon.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 12:12 PM

I don't even find it ugly, just big.
Some people are always going to oppose something different. | strongly believe they are in the minority. TBH, I wouldn't want this next door to me either. Of course not. But most residents I'm sure realize that density is good and that this area is destined to grow upwards sooner or later, and many would argue the sooner the better.

Last edited by L'homard; May 21, 2016 at 12:13 PM. Reason: fixed typos

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 2:14 PM

Sold for development

I have little detail but I heard from a reliable source that another large parcel of land in downtown Dieppe was purchased for development. Not public yet.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 3:17 PM

Update on the former Caisse Populaire at Amirault & Chartersville. It looks like they've completely rebuilt the foundation and the footprint seems to be a bit bigger than the former building.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 1:55 AM

Drove by tonight and noticed on their led sign in the rotation appeared to be a picture of the new building.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 10:02 PM

edit.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 3:11 PM

Building at 50 du Marché (across from new hotel) will be 3 storeys, shared between 4 businesses.

Low-quality picture from T&T:

Source: https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...ey-building-to

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 5:03 PM

50 Place du Marché - Dieppe

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 11:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Very nice.

Rue du Marche will be a very elegant little street when all these projects are complete. This is an indication of what downtown Dieppe could become.

Downtown Moncton had better watch their rear view mirror......

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 12:31 AM

Project will go ahead. Changes to zoning & bylaws unanimously approved by council. Developer hopes to start work in July; should take 2 years to complete.

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...e-a-10-etages/

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 12:32 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Were any concessions made to allay the concerns of the neighbours?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 12:39 AM

No changes required.

Max height as per the existing bylaw is 18 metres; this building will be 30 metres at its peak.

Development valued at $30MM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 1:00 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Banner day for development in Dieppe!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 2:48 AM

Exciting news for the GMA in general! All it takes is one to get the ball rolling on other large apartment developments. Hopefully this will wake up developers and get them off of them 5 or 6, four storey buildings and get them working on more 8-12 storey buildings

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post

Project will go ahead. Changes to zoning & bylaws unanimously approved by council. Developer hopes to start work in July; should take 2 years to complete.

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...e-a-10-etages/
That's real good news for the area and Dieppe is the happening spot now.. But it will be interesting to see.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 3:09 PM

And I heard the new two ice surface arena to replace the old centenaire arena will start to get build soon. A lot of things to look forward to in downtown Dieppe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces