HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 5:55 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 7:41 PM

I like the detail in this image in conjuction with the placement and integration of the PumpHouse facade and structure.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 7:48 PM
the first stamp is free

probably could have used a more recent photo though... that powerplant is long gone, and look at those cars!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 7:52 PM

Looks like they added the it to this photo....

Exterior:Before it was decommissioned in 1986, ca 1980.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 1:10 PM

I assume this proposed development is now called, "Exchange Tower".

As per this:
Exchange tower, 109 James Ave, Lily St, Amy

The scope of work has been finalized. An architect has been secured to complete detailed design and working drawings. Contact information for the architect will be released late spring/early summer, 2014. Working drawings are anticipated summer, 2014.

This site was formerly named the James Avenue pumping station site redevelopment.
Fri Mar 21, 2014.

-JOC

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 3:07 PM

Pump house

I still do not believe even with the city subsidy this rental project is viable. The glass curtain wall shown on all renderings will not survive the value engineering exercise. I hope adequate construction bonding will be in place to ensure completion when they are unable to fund construction over runs.

My biggest criticism is not so much the height of the tower but rather the impact of the parking structure adjacent to it. How ugly will that be with no proposed retail or storefronts?

I thought the James street garage would help to augment parking for the cultural venues, existing heritage conversions and new business parking in the area?

Why is the city about to make a $5,000,000 + subsidy for the Pumphouse at the expense of all the other stakeholders in the area? How does that help the East Exchange and what would Jane Jacobs say?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 7:22 PM

Jane Jacobs is deceased. She can't say anything.

That project seems economically unfeasible.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 8:45 PM

Of course she's gone!

But her views and ideas should be with us and ingrained into the city's planning department. They obviously has not read her books!

I also do not understand why all the renderings portray the structure as transparent? It would never be viewed that way... It really just an attempt to "lighten" the huge load on the existing structure and street scape. Let's be transparent here and start attempting to view what is really proposed to be build on the site as opposed to some gentle water colour..

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
How ugly will that be with no proposed retail or storefronts?
It has been "proposed", as quoted in the OP of this thread.

"6-7 Storey Parkade, (540 to 630 stalls adjacent to the structure), potentially joining with nearby structures via tunnel and ringed with retail and commercial shops along James Avenue."

Although in the same post..

"The parkade information was provided by the developer and the actual structures construction is an integral part of this development and needed to proceed. No decisions have been finalized reg: It's construction."

So are you saying you have definitive knowledge that this "part of the proposed proposal", is now off the table and know if/when/or if ever the parkade will be constructed or what will be constructed?

Curious?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 6:00 AM

I think it is a very lovely structure.

It combines the right elements of high density living, a modern design, and a prairie theme. I think it is absolutely perfect for Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 1:44 PM

No news of yet on the "Exchange Tower", aka: Pump House. Hoping to hear if there are any new updates on this proposal.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:01 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
No news of yet on the "Exchange Tower", aka: Pump House. Hoping to hear if there are any new updates on this proposal.
I think the lack of news speaks clearly for the overly ambitious project itself.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I think the lack of news speaks clearly for the overly ambitious project itself.

This could very well be the case with this proposal. Although, I'd still like to hear official confirmation from the developers it is not moving forward in any way before we write it off as unfeasible.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 5:27 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
This could very well be the case with this proposal. Although, I'd still like to hear official confirmation from the developers it is not moving forward in any way before we write it off as unfeasible.
The problem with the entire site is the requirement to keep the pumping equipment intact. This alone will keep the site undeveloped indefinitely.

Once we get off of the nostalgia train we might see some movement on the property.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
The problem with the entire site is the requirement to keep the pumping equipment intact. This alone will keep the site undeveloped indefinitely.

Once we get off of the nostalgia train we might see some movement on the property.
The incorporation and preservation of the Pump House machinery and structure, (Historical Grade II Designation) into this proposal and those in the past have kept this site undeveloped for decades.

We'll see where this eventually ends up.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 7:37 PM

I'm with hotwired on this. You have to pick your spots when it comes to heritage buildings... an old bank or warehouse that can be repurposed into something else without too much trouble, fine. If the building had a regular floor, I'm sure it would make a fantastic market or studio or somesuch. But something like this, with all of that equipment would be practically impossible to redevelop here.

Personally I can live with the pumping station biting the dust if something impressive, like the Pump House Tower, were to replace it.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm with hotwired on this. You have to pick your spots when it comes to heritage buildings... an old bank or warehouse that can be repurposed into something else without too much trouble, fine. If the building had a regular floor, I'm sure it would make a fantastic market or studio or somesuch. But something like this, with all of that equipment would be practically impossible to redevelop here.

Personally I can live with the pumping station biting the dust if something impressive, like the Pump House Tower, were to replace it.
Hence my last post(quote below) on the subject. The designation has caused multiple proposals to fail.It may be the demise of this proposal as well. We can only wait and see where it ends up.

Quote:
The incorporation and preservation of the Pump House machinery and structure, (Historical Grade II Designation) into this proposal and those in the past have kept this site undeveloped for decades.

We'll see where this eventually ends up

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 10:13 PM

If its the machinery inside the structure itself that also needs protection, why did the developers even bother to make proposals in the first place. They just went ahead and make sketches and plans and then told by the city after the fact that the machines cannot be disturbed? You would thing people would have learned from the failure of the first proposal and not bother even going through the trouble. How boring our history must seam to others when a pumping station is considered a structure of historical importance.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowghost View Post
If its the machinery inside the structure itself that also needs protection, why did the developers even bother to make proposals in the first place. They just went ahead and make sketches and plans and then told by the city after the fact that the machines cannot be disturbed? You would thing people would have learned from the failure of the first proposal and not bother even going through the trouble. How boring our history must seam to others when a pumping station is considered a structure of historical importance.
This building should incorporate a pump or two, but I don't think they need to stay in their original place in the building. If they need structural supports in their location. However the exterior should be maintained. Sometime you have to "think" and use some common sense when it comes to historical buildings. I have taken a course in "Architectural Heritage and Building Renovation" and feel this to be a disservice to a developer that is attempting to rejuvenate a building that on the exterior looks quite nice.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
This building should incorporate a pump or two, but I don't think they need to stay in their original place in the building. If they need structural supports in their location. However the exterior should be maintained. Sometime you have to "think" and use some common sense when it comes to historical buildings. I have taken a course in "Architectural Heritage and Building Renovation" and feel this to be a disservice to a developer that is attempting to rejuvenate a building that on the exterior looks quite nice.
Heritage Winnipeg have no common sense.

You try dealing with Centre Venture and see how much fun it is.

This project will not happen. The economics do not work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan