HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 8:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
I’m actually happy this is not happening there, I prefer the original vision the forks had for that area.
So is that original concept off the table? I thought it was a done deal and we were just waiting for shovels to hit the ground?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 2:44 AM

Quote:
A new build on a parking lot on Bannatyne??
I would think that site is a strong contender...

Skip may have decided its easier to deal with private enterprise than a governmental agency.

How many ft2 would they utilize? 80k?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 3:21 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
It does make you wonder, especially since Calgary is practically begging companies to relocate there to fill their glut of vacant office space.
It staying here.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I would think that site is a strong contender...

Skip may have decided its easier to deal with private enterprise than a governmental agency.

How many ft2 would they utilize? 80k?
Skip is going into True North Square.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Skip is going into True North Square.
That's the word.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 5:55 PM

Check the TNS thread for the news article.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 8:28 PM

Skip the Dishes moving int TNS certainly adds a lot of uncertainty to a number of projects. I was under the impression that the Forks was willing to give up it's parking revenue at Portage Place because they saw revenue coming from this development. Will that end the Portage Place sale? Will the archaeological digs still take place or be cancelled? Will John leave Marsha and their baby for that floozie, Jezebel? The soap opera continues!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 8:32 PM

The forks is selling it’s portage place assets because Railside is ready to go, mixed use residential was always the plan for the site the skip porposal came together haphazardly on parcel four which has no concrete plans yet, just tentatively an extension of the Railside development. We should except an announcement on Railside by years end.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:21 PM

Well, good for Skip I guess!

I hope Forks gets some continued momentum, and while I don't know the full story I'm sure somebody somewhere is learning that "don't make it so damn hard for good business to make money" lesson.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:56 AM

I was told (and said here several times) Skip never had any real interest in The Forks. They've wanted to considate to a single building for a while now, and had zero interest in building brand new – both due to cost/risk but also time, they wanted to move ASAP. I get the sense Forks exercise was more just due diligence on comparing costs to justify the added costs of a TNS address.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I was told (and said here several times) Skip never had any real interest in The Forks. They've wanted to considate to a single building for a while now, and had zero interest in building brand new – both due to cost/risk but also time, they wanted to move ASAP. I get the sense Forks exercise was more just due diligence on comparing costs to justify the added costs of a TNS address.
I don’t think it would have been as public if they were just doing a cost comparison. That can be done behind closed doors without anybody knowing. Something happened here.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:21 PM

I don't know if something happened. It makes way more sense for them to just move to TNS instead of undergoing a multi-year project. The publicity likely made it an even easier sell to the decision-makers to move to TNS. From a business sense, WFP article after WFP article and the complexities of the land would make me want to stay well away.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 5:07 PM

There's been a lot of Parcel 4 discussion and questions, but I'm not sure if this has ever been linked or talked about:

https://winnipeg.ca/ppd/PublicEngage...l4/default.stm

City says that it completed the archeological dig in September, awaiting findings. Also says that Parcel 4 will be sold off in phases to The Forks (as opposed to all at once), presumably to maintain as much parking revenue as possible until more of the site is needed.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
There's been a lot of Parcel 4 discussion and questions, but I'm not sure if this has ever been linked or talked about:

https://winnipeg.ca/ppd/PublicEngage...l4/default.stm

City says that it completed the archeological dig in September, awaiting findings. Also says that Parcel 4 will be sold off in phases to The Forks (as opposed to all at once), presumably to maintain as much parking revenue as possible until more of the site is needed.
So much for the archaeological digs delaying construction

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 2:23 PM

I've never seen anything dug up there, did they just pay some guy with a metal detector to walk up an down the parking lot? I wonder if any ancient bottle caps were found.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I've never seen anything dug up there, did they just pay some guy with a metal detector to walk up an down the parking lot? I wonder if any ancient bottle caps were found.
You must have been hiding under your bed since the 1980's. There have been digs going on at the Forks for decades. Before the CMHR was built, digs were conducted. The digs in the parking lot area that was supposed to be the Skip site was tested with trenches, a standard procedure to see if full-scale digs were justified. You really might want to get more of your information about archaeology from the real world, rather than watching old Indiana Jones movies.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:11 PM

hahaha, I was referring specifically to the parking lot and not any other project there. I always envision string grids and people with gardening tools and paint brushes.

Can you imagine what that Indiana Jones film would look like? Harrison Ford, at 77, running across the parking lot while being chased by the indigenous during the fair in summer yelling for the driver to start the car while clutching some ancient artifact.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 9:41 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

https://www.theforks.com/

The Forks Concept & Financial Plan presentation (?) tonight between 17h and 19h (5 pm - 7pm) @ The Forks Market.

Just read about it now.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 8:52 AM

Skip proposal for parcel 4

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 6:02 PM
BANNED

glad that wasn’t built. looks like a suburban office campus

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan