HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 6:47 PM

Some giant (I mean GIANT) 2-3 storey steel beams were sunk in the ground along the sidewalk close to the ThinkShift entrance... is there some component being built here that wasn't in the renders?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 2:38 AM
BANNED

I think it's just to give some continuity between the buildings. you can see one pole that's the same as the two installed already in this render (to the left of the person walking):

from 5468796.ca

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 2:49 AM

Interesting, that makes sense. Thought maybe those "Cultural District" arches planned 10 years ago were finally coming to fruition.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 2:54 AM
Winnipeg

No doubt this is a cultural district, and each year it’s just getting better and better

I also think Mere Hotel looks fantastic

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 3:08 AM

I'm so happy we didn't end up naming this cultural district Cultural District. Sports, Hospitality, and Entertainment District is bad enough already.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 4:39 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I'm so happy we didn't end up naming this cultural district Cultural District. Sports, Hospitality, and Entertainment District is bad enough already.
There's still time to rename it WoPo or something. Maybe SoPo or CoPo. Or we could go for the big time and get really zany with RoPo!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
There's still time to rename it WoPo or something. Maybe SoPo or CoPo. Or we could go for the big time and get really zany with RoPo!
SoPo Square was the original working name for TNS. I'm not sure what's better, that or "the SHED"

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 2:38 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
SoPo Square was the original working name for TNS. I'm not sure what's better, that or "the SHED"

That render gives it a very new Berlin look. Having spent a lot of time in Berlin I just get that vibe. What we ended up getting is probably better except for the fact that Hargrave kind of gets the short end of the vibrant street life stick.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
That render gives it a very new Berlin look. Having spent a lot of time in Berlin I just get that vibe. What we ended up getting is probably better except for the fact that Hargrave kind of gets the short end of the vibrant street life stick.
Graham partly gets the short of the end of the stick too. Have you seen how uninviting the ground level floor is on the north side of the residential tower? Full of steel doors. Probably done to funnel people into the inside of the square.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 6:00 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Graham partly gets the short of the end of the stick too. Have you seen how uninviting the ground level floor is on the north side of the residential tower? Full of steel doors. Probably done to funnel people into the inside of the square.
Yes but there are a couple CRUs that have some windows facing graham. Could be a lot worse
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 6:07 PM

Yeah, I think TNS did the best it could possibly do considering the surroundings:

- There needed to be a loading dock somewhere, Hargrave makes the most sense as you want the plaza to open to the rest of the development. They still extended the lobby pretty far south. I still think it could be a great street if cityplace ever goes through with reopening the main floor to the street. Eventual church redevelopment could but in access or a CRU on Hargrave too.

- That block of Graham is already quite uninviting with the door to Tavern being the only thing that interacts with the street. Both corner units in tower 2 at least wrap around to Graham.

- Carlton will be great with the entire block being brand new towers in 4 years, aside from the church yard and small parking lot.

--

I actually like the sound of SoPo square – seems kind of elite and fancy, like Soho in NYC.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
- That block of Graham is already quite uninviting with the door to Tavern being the only thing that interacts with the street. Both corner units in tower 2 at least wrap around to Graham.
The Powerhouse development was kind of exciting by early 00s standards when just seeing any kind of development was something to be grateful for. But by current standards it leaves something to be desired... just two doors along the entire block (CTV and Tavern), and then worst of all, the building falls short of Carlton and has a surface parking lot there. Putting it below grade doesn't really help either.

Just building an addition to bring the building right out to Carlton would be a massive improvement. Even better would be demolishing the addition and starting over.

Anyway, the TNS conversation is starting to bleed into this thread so I'll stop now

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 1:24 AM

There has been very little if any progress at the Pumphouse apartment for over a month now. Any idea if there are issues or the reason for the work slow down/stoppage? I was pretty excited when the second level steel beams went up and now, nothing!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
There has been very little if any progress at the Pumphouse apartment for over a month now. Any idea if there are issues or the reason for the work slow down/stoppage? I was pretty excited when the second level steel beams went up and now, nothing!
City Permits
Engineering stamps
Capacity of fabricators

All come to mind...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:24 PM

All the development delays make a lot more sense after learning how corrupt the Planning, Property and Development dept is (and I know they're not the only dept that's slow as molasses). Imagine how fast things could go up if some people were actually putting in a full day's work.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:56 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I think the focus of that investigation would not directly affect commercial building permits. The inspectors implicated would be mostly responsible for residential level construction.

And even then, the City has started downloading those responsibilities onto the homeowners/consultants (i.e. residential permits now require inspection and certification by the professional who sealed the drawings, adding ~$400 onto the cost of closing out a permit for the homeowner).

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 6:34 PM

Looks pretty bad. This one guy was still in a battle with them for over 4 1/2 years:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ideo-1.5212032

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 6:43 PM
the first stamp is free

^ there are certainly cases where the City inspectors are heavy handed, appear to over step their authority, and even start to hold grudges with respect to contractors and developers (again small stuff, not major commercial developments).

It looks like enough of these people got fed up, spent some money, and got even.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 6:47 PM

So commercial projects generally weren't affected by this broken down relationship?

I find it staggering and frankly hard to believe that management would be unaware of what was going on. It would be like the restaurant waiters taking charge and deciding who gets fed and who doesn't... you would think that attitude wouldn't last long.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 6:59 PM
the first stamp is free

^ for commercial developments you (the consultant) work with the plans examiners to get drawings approved for permit. The consultant is also responsible for the site reviews and certification.

The City inspectors may still attend on site, but most of the site reviews that sort of responsibility is on the consultant.

For disputes like the one in the cbc article, the City has inspectors that go around and check out zoning changes, open permits, etc. etc. These sorts of things are like a can of worms, and nothing good generally comes out of it (usually a case of the trumpism - "there is blame on both sides").

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan