HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 11:18 PM
BANNED

pretty sure this is the final design:

from mmaltzan.com

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
pretty sure this is the final design:

from mmaltzan.com
I Think it looks great, i dont mind it at all.

LOCATION / Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
TYPE / Mixed-Use Development
SIZE / 103,000 SQ FT
STATUS / Under Construction
Design Architect / Michael Maltzan Architecture
https://www.mmaltzan.com/projects/50...t-mary-street/

Quote:
The project, a 119-unit residential building for The University of Winnipeg Community Renewal Corporation 2.0 (UWCRC 2.0), is comprised of a range of unit types, including (28) studios, (59) one bedroom units, (29) two bedroom units, and (3) three bedroom units, with an integrated affordable housing component. The building is 14 stories tall, with a 15th level penthouse which houses mechanical equipment. The ground floor level contains 3,700 square feet of commercial program, 17 stalls of street level parking, and new offices for the owner. On the 10th floor, amenity spaces and an adjacent rooftop terrace area provide shared common spaces for tenant use.

The architectural concept for the building emphasizes the verticality of the massing by creating a “bundle” of five residential towers organized around a central circulation tower. The individual towers have varied footprints and heights to emphasize their individuality and give the massing a twisting bias. The modulations in shape and size also lend a more human scale to the urban presence of the project. By maximizing the number of corner units, the residential suites are afforded sweeping views of the surrounding context, creating more powerful relationships between the building and the city of Winnipeg. The building fenestration complements its massing, with diagonally organized windows accentuating the twisting bias of the towers while choreographing the residents’ views of the city. At the ground level, floor to ceiling storefront glass along the property line captures the greatest area for commercial program, and is capped by a thin roof slab. The residential towers rest upon this transparent base, appearing to floating above the ground.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:14 AM

Slightly better but still very much just slabs of concrete with few windows. Not a good look in combination with colony square and the windowless side of university commons or whatever it's called.

Design aside, it fills the lot nicely and will bring life up to the sidewalk. It's exciting how dense that little area is becoming.

[edit] The irregular placement of the windows seems like it would be weird for residential...like are some rooms going to have tiny windows up high toward the ceiling? Some rooms look like that might not have windows at all.

"By maximizing the number of corner units, the residential suites are afforded sweeping views of the surrounding context"

"Sweeping views" is not something that comes to mind when I look at this project

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 6:55 AM

I like it.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 12:35 PM
Transit Nerd

Is it just me, or does that rooftop terrace have a distinct and utter lack of safety railings...?

Oh also, first time posting on here in what, years? I've been busy but still lurking, incase anyone's wondered what happened to me. Now a *former* Winnipegger

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:04 PM

^ It's like a 21st century version of 444 Kennedy

I like the base... it meets the street wonderfully. But the tower is just so bunker-like. I'm not expecting an affordable housing project built by a non-profit to be clad totally in glass or be flashy in some other way, but this is almost too austere.

I should add, I think that the cluster of five towers concept is pretty neat.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Is it just me, or does that rooftop terrace have a distinct and utter lack of safety railings...?
The railings are set back from the edge of the roof to just around the patio area. The patio does not extend to the edge of the roof....it has a wavy look.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:19 PM
the first stamp is free

It will be cool to have dueling tower cranes in that area for a little while - WAG and this project.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
But the tower is just so bunker-like.
It's strange when our new residential developments look more prisonlike than our actual Remand Centre

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
It's strange when our new residential developments look more prisonlike than our actual Remand Centre
With its tasteful glass and stone facade, the Remand Centre could actually pass for a nice financial company headquarters

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:26 PM

The remand centre is a nice looking building. I like the shapes and how's the tower is sort of craved out.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post

Oh also, first time posting on here in what, years? I've been busy but still lurking, incase anyone's wondered what happened to me. Now a *former* Winnipegger
It's just a rendering. Some people don't like to put unsexy things in renderings if they don't have to.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:29 PM
surely you agree with me

that area is going to become the white block.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:38 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
It will be cool to have dueling tower cranes in that area for a little while - WAG and this project.
and possibly another a block away at All saints'.

The final rendering is definitely a big improvement from the conceptual ones. It will be interesting to compare this building with All Saints'. Almost the same program, a couple stories shorter.

I guess 505 lost all of its arts connection. Was supposed to be an art school, studios and the like….a big reason Maltzan got the project as I understand.

Also interesting that the director of the WAG was so angry about the first EIFS tower behind his building and now he gets two...with his architect this time...I wonder if he will still be upset.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:44 PM

Where is the all saints thing again? Is it right on their property?

Edit: I think this is the one.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=233329

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:50 PM
surely you agree with me

^correct

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 9:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
and possibly another a block away at All saints'.

The final rendering is definitely a big improvement from the conceptual ones. It will be interesting to compare this building with All Saints'. Almost the same program, a couple stories shorter.

I guess 505 lost all of its arts connection. Was supposed to be an art school, studios and the like….a big reason Maltzan got the project as I understand.

Also interesting that the director of the WAG was so angry about the first EIFS tower behind his building and now he gets two...with his architect this time...I wonder if he will still be upset.
a new arts school for the U of W? I wonder if it's going somewhere else..

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:26 AM

While my sense of style could safely be described by a thoughtful selection of Ikea's finest, I am actually quite pleased with that render. I personally love all the white. It's different. It's not oatmeal. I think it will add to a fairly attractive little cluster. You just have to squint when you look immediately south of The Bay and everything will be just peachy.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 5:23 AM

I actually love the little cluster of white buildings, it's fun and cheeky. A kind of modern interpretation of all the old stone next door along Memorial. I really hope there's more windows in the building though when done... yikes.

If there's a new arts building coming, or whenever U of W needs to build its next building I REALLY hope it'd be something on this lot. It's so hideous and a waste of space. Would be great to build something on the lot, block the parkade from view, and the main floor of new building would just connect into the AnX at existing entrance.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 1:52 PM

^ Yeah, that space is no longer really necessary now that the bus terminal is no longer there (it used to be a bit of a pick-up/drop-off zone in those days).

Some of the veteran forumers might remember when drawings surfaced of an improbably skinny tower on that site... that would have been awesome. But more realistically, a lower-rise 3 to 6 storey building built out to the sidewalk and establishing a bit of a street wall would be more than OK.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan