HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Should Portage and Main be open for pedestrian traffic?
Yes 113 92.62%
No 9 7.38%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 4:04 PM

OK then I guess the real problem is the rider and not the bike. As usual. If he slowed down to 15 kph and then passed me I would not be complaining. Or if he rang a bell or sounded a horn. That would have taken him 2 seconds. Instead he went full bore down the whole of the Assiniboine bike path.

I met up with him later as he was proudly showing off the e-bike at Donald and Broadway. I was a bit angry but I didn't even yell at him. he explained how his driving was legal and safe but he lied about it saying his e-bike could not even do 30 kph.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 4:09 PM

^ Fair enough.

Now that you mention it, the bell thing is a change that needs to happen in our cycling culture. 15+ years ago when I was living in Edmonton and walking/cycling over the High Level Bridge, just about everyone on a bike had a bell and would give you a "coming behind you" ring.

Maybe a small publicity campaign here would help... of course, this being Manitoba, it would also have to assure people that the ringing bells are not in fact an act of aggression or a "get out of my way" signal, just a friendly heads-up.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 4:14 PM

I have never been passed by a bike at such an extreme difference of speed on the Assiniboine bike path. At 12:30 PM it's more leisure than commuter traffic.
He was not late for work he was just showing off.
If I saw him again I'd push his e-bike over. I'm surprised I did not do this when I met up with him 20 minutes later. You weren't there. You don't knowthe situation. It might as well have been a car or a cement truck that passed by me with-in 2 feet at 60 kph. The result of accidental contact by me unexpectedly moving over for whatever reason would have been the same. Death.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Fair enough.

Now that you mention it, the bell thing is a change that needs to happen in our cycling culture. 15+ years ago when I was living in Edmonton and walking/cycling over the High Level Bridge, just about everyone on a bike had a bell and would give you a "coming behind you" ring.

Maybe a small publicity campaign here would help... of course, this being Manitoba, it would also have to assure people that the ringing bells are not in fact an act of aggression or a "get out of my way" signal, just a friendly heads-up.
I struggle with finding the right tone for a bell and I would think it's a common experience for cyclists. 1/2 the pedestrians don't move at all and the other 1/2 hear your little ding and are just terrified and dive out of the way like they're Indiana Jones. I've tried to find a clear but gentle bell and 1/2 the people still act like there's a freight train behind them.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 4:58 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

As a "filthy casual" when it comes to cycling, what is the appropriate use for bells and/or horns? The latter being the ones where you squeeze the bulb and a squeaky honk sound is heard, like the ones you get at Canadian Tire, either the Spider-Man one, or Disney's Frozen one. I mean, what's the context or use for the horn itself?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 1:11 AM

Bikes don't kill people, people kill people.

-signed bike nut

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 2:59 AM
BANNED

There are two or three threads where this redundant bike conversation is taking place. Can we maybe keep the bike discussion to the bike thread please? I'm asking because our "moderators" don't seem interested in maintaining order in the Manitoba threads.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 3:41 PM

Bikes go through Portage and Main. They also go through the Exchange District. Bike infrastructure is Constructed. Seems relevant.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 6:39 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
There are two or three threads where this redundant bike conversation is taking place. Can we maybe keep the bike discussion to the bike thread please? I'm asking because our "moderators" don't seem interested in maintaining order in the Manitoba threads.
Earlier I had an discussion on reddit about the SSP mod situation. They say the SSP moderators are being pretty lazy nowadays.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Earlier I had an discussion on reddit about the SSP mod situation. They say the SSP moderators are being pretty lazy nowadays.
Not that anyone asked me, but I'm OK with the somewhat hands off approach to moderating... all the threads go off on tangents, but they eventually come back to the main topic whenever there is any news on that front.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
You're clearly never driven in cities in Northern Australia
As in slower, dopier, or both? lol.

And I have not haha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
For those talking 30 km/hr in residential everywhere, what? That is painfully slow and just frankly, stupid. You must not be regular drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Shall we bubble wrap the whole world? This conversation seems like people think that there are people being run down left, right and center when that's not happening at all. Further, don't people train their children anymore ...
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher__jo View Post
Watch a video of stopping distance difference between 30 & 50 km. It's the difference between someone being injured and a person getting killed.
1 kmh can be the difference between life and death in any situation. 1 cm, .01 seconds, etc...

Alert use of roads, pedestrian or vehicular, and adept use of a vehicle need to be taught.

Quote:
Not that anyone asked me, but I'm OK with the somewhat hands off approach to moderating... all the threads go off on tangents, but they eventually come back to the main topic whenever there is any news on that front.
Yeah, I'm good with this.

So what if a conversation organically meanders on and off topic a touch? Not the end of the world.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 5:00 PM

The Portage and Main convo in the Wawanesa Building thread got me wondering... what is going on with 200 Portage (AKA the short Winnipeg Square office building)?

At one point there were renderings of a grandiose renovation floating around, but nothing seems to have happened. Scotiabank left for TNS leaving the main floor vacant. G3 (former CWB) is in there I think, but is anything else? Are there still any plans for renovation?

This building has potential but it looks kind of sad and forlorn now, it never got the recladding that the rest of Winnipeg Square did, and the empty main floor makes it look neglected.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 5:05 PM

I believe all the proposals fell through. The latest was Kidthink IIRC. And that's not happening.

I guess it's owned by someone else separate from Winnipeg Square. It got new glass, but the old gold paneling was staying.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 5:13 PM

The city's most famous intersection and it looks and feels depressing.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 5:18 PM

It looked nicer when it was a matching set IMO.

200 Main is the one building at P&M that could be easily converted to storefront operations to inject some life into the intersection... I'm not expecting a Lululemon location, maybe a bank branch to start. If human life ever returns to the sidewalks at P&M that would be a prime location for that kind of development.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 5:48 PM

Anyone still floating the idea of making P&M open to pedestrians again? Or did the referendum a few years back kill that possibility for the next few decades?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 5:50 PM

Quote:
The Portage and Main convo in the Wawanesa Building thread got me wondering... what is going on with 200 Portage (AKA the short Winnipeg Square office building)?

At one point there were renderings of a grandiose renovation floating around, but nothing seems to have happened. Scotiabank left for TNS leaving the main floor vacant. G3 (former CWB) is in there I think, but is anything else? Are there still any plans for renovation?

This building has potential but it looks kind of sad and forlorn now, it never got the recladding that the rest of Winnipeg Square did, and the empty main floor makes it look neglected.
The exterior renovations are slated for this fall (2022).

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Anyone still floating the idea of making P&M open to pedestrians again? Or did the referendum a few years back kill that possibility for the next few decades?
It hasn't come up in the mayoral race, but I have to think it is at the back of Murray's mind if he gets elected.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 9:15 PM

Yeah, I feel like he would push for this. let's hope

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 11:26 PM

Speaking personally with Murray I’ll paraphrase that he believes that the closing of Portage and Main to pedestrians is the single biggest factor holding back investment into the Downtown core and that closing it was one of the biggest mistakes Winnipeg made in the 20th century.

Not sure how valid that claim is, but that should highlight his views on P&M.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan