View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 11:54 PM

Thanks, folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
Was
built right. Unfortunately practically all its charming brick row home/tenement neighborhoods have been demolished. All that's left are a few isolated strips in and around downtown near the broad street station and lincoln park. There's very little left worth raving about in other areas of newark besides the charming homes in the north ward. I think that's the reason why Newark hasn't been able to gentrify the way Jersey City and some areas of Brooklyn have. It lacks a largely intact architecturally rich charming district worth gentrifying! The Iron bound is great but it's no Bed Stuy or Historic Old Jersey city.
Unfortunately, it's true. There are some beautiful historical areas, but they are very "thin" and not always cohesive. I think it's a real shame how downtown gives way to the drab 1990's-era townhomes immediately to the west/southwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I like how you captured the detail on a couple places. Is that an Egyptian woman talking on the phone?
That's an old telephone exchange building. It had some cool engravings of people on old phones.