HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 11:55 PM

PHILADELPHIA | Now with 30% more Camden

Camden, New Jersey - Philly's friend next door

Last edited by Thundertubs; Jun 2, 2011 at 1:59 AM. Reason: don't fear the reaper

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 12:07 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

I see you and I posted out Philly threads at nearly the same time, Thundertubs! Nice work, very nice work!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 12:16 AM

Philadelphia is the winner today. Double the pleasure.

Love seeing the Camden pics.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 1:31 AM

Such a shame Philly is so decayed and blighted. It needs some gentrification in these areas to clean up! So much potential in this city...I mean look at all that amazing architecture...why have they let this place go so much?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 2:12 AM

it doesn't need gentrification just some renovation. Can never pass up on a thundertub thread....

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 2:36 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Such a shame Philly is so decayed and blighted. It needs some gentrification in these areas to clean up! So much potential in this city...I mean look at all that amazing architecture...why have they let this place go so much?
My god, you're acting like a boorish ass here, destroycreate! Sure, there are plenty of decayed and blighted parts of Philly, just as there are in any Eastern city of any size. Same in Baltimore, same in Boston, same in D.C., same in smaller places like Camden, Trenton, Newark, Providence, New Haven, and pretty much every other freaking city up and down the East Coast. That being said, don't act like there aren't huge decaying parts of cities along the West Coast, either. Here's a few examples for you, from south to north through California:

Chula Vista
Oceanside
Santa Ana
San Bernardino
Riverside
Inglewood
Compton
Huge swaths of East/South Los Angeles
Oxnard
Santa Maria
Salinas
Hayward
San Leandro
Oakland
East Palo Alto

Need I mention more?

Aaron (Glowrock)

edit: I couldn't agree more, ChiTownCity. Of course many parts of Philly need renovating/infrastructure improvements/people's attitude improvements. I'd say a little gentrification might be in order, though...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 3:34 AM

Nice pictures!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 4:00 AM

Quote:
From viewing this thread (which is excellent btw, Thundertubs), it would be tough to call Philly "so decayed and blighted". Now there is certainly plenty of decay and urban blight in both Philadelphia and Camden. But, by and large, this thread does not show it at all. Just because many photos here depict neighborhoods that aren't all new and shiny does not mean that they are blighted.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 4:04 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Please.

I'm not going to tell you anything you already (or already should) know. If you've been here and taken the grand tour then you know your statement is incorrect and if you haven't then you should avoid making generalizations about places you've never seen yourself.

Thundertubs, you got around to both sides of The Delaware - good on ya. South Philly is a darling stretch of town - you got some of the more quaint signs along Broad Street and they do add character, don't they?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 4:11 AM

Gritt-ilicious!! I love Philly's dense, urban rowhouses.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
My god, you're acting like a boorish ass here, destroycreate! Sure, there are plenty of decayed and blighted parts of Philly, just as there are in any Eastern city of any size. Same in Baltimore, same in Boston, same in D.C., same in smaller places like Camden, Trenton, Newark, Providence, New Haven, and pretty much every other freaking city up and down the East Coast. That being said, don't act like there aren't huge decaying parts of cities along the West Coast, either. Here's a few examples for you, from south to north through California:

Chula Vista
Oceanside
Santa Ana
San Bernardino
Riverside
Inglewood
Compton
Huge swaths of East/South Los Angeles
Oxnard
Santa Maria
Salinas
Hayward
San Leandro
Oakland
East Palo Alto

Need I mention more?

Aaron (Glowrock)

edit: I couldn't agree more, ChiTownCity. Of course many parts of Philly need renovating/infrastructure improvements/people's attitude improvements. I'd say a little gentrification might be in order, though...

While I agree with your main point, I don't see how San Leandro or Hayward - or EPA and Oakland for that matter - make a list of cities with "huge decaying parts". What part of San Leandro is decaying?There's definitely neighborhoods that are run down but there's next to nothing in the Bay Area outside of a couple housing projects in San Francisco and Richmond that I'd call "decayed" i.e. with rows of boarded up houses, garbage everywhere, burned out cars, etc. I'm very familiar with San Leandro and EPA and obviously with Oakland so I'm not sure what you're referencing.

But anyway, thanks for the pics Thundertubs. I don't think I've ever seen pics on here of Camden. I've heard of its terrible reputation though... its hyped up to be the east coast Gary Indiana.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 5:35 AM

Quote:
You don't live here and don't know what you're talking about, so STFU!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 6:07 AM

That is a nice looking bridge -- great shots!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 12:13 PM
Universal Traveler

Wonderful photos!

I´ve liked them very much. Today, I´ve watched two threads from PHL, and it´s nice to watch again so beautiful city.

Your pictures are very good. PHL looks very green, as I like. Pretty buildings and houses.

Congratulations and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 1:08 PM
furified freestyle

tubs in town! attaboy giving camden some lovin', it could always use any it can get. i didn't make it over there (nor up in city hall tower for that matter) when i was home a few weeks ago, so it's nice to see these. it's pretty great to see the riverfront property under the BFB no longer serving a prison. i just hope they develop it right (i.e., remember it's still camden) and don't smack down a couple stupid condo towers.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 3:03 PM

Killin' it as usual, Thundertubs. Good work

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 3:08 PM
video et taceo

it ain't easy.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 3:34 PM

This thread is flippin' fantastic, excellent job my friend, you make the city feel as big as it is.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 8:28 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Yeah, you did it again sir.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 9:16 PM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
While I agree with your main point, I don't see how San Leandro or Hayward - or EPA and Oakland for that matter - make a list of cities with "huge decaying parts". What part of San Leandro is decaying?There's definitely neighborhoods that are run down but there's next to nothing in the Bay Area outside of a couple housing projects in San Francisco and Richmond that I'd call "decayed" i.e. with rows of boarded up houses, garbage everywhere, burned out cars, etc. I'm very familiar with San Leandro and EPA and obviously with Oakland so I'm not sure what you're referencing.
Yeah, talk about being hyperbolic, glowrock. While California no doubt has its fair share of gritty cities and neighborhoods (where did destroycreate, or any other forumer, ever deny that?), the eerie, post-apocalyptic blocks of vacant lots and bombed-out/abandoned rowhouses and factories - places largely devoid of people - that, unfortunately characterizes many older cities, for the most part, doesn't exist in CA. Same for the crime problem prevalent in the said parts of Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Newark, et al. Run-down bungalows with overgrown lawns, graffiti, and maybe a boarded-up corner store, sure, but nothing like Mantua, Upton, or parts of the South Bronx.

Anyways, splendid job - as usual - 'Tubs. I would love to spend some more time exploring Philly. Major props on doing Camden, too!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos