Carlisle is a borough in south central Pennsylvania, west of Harrisburg, and is the seat of Cumberland County. The population is around 19,000.
Carlisle's town square was laid out in 1751. Carlisle was the home to a munitions depot during the Revolutionary War, at what is now the Carlisle Barracks. Carlisle developed as an expedition starting point during the French & Indian Wars. Carlisle later saw some activity during the Civil War, as the Confederates pressed into Pennsylvania in the summer of 1863.
The borough's past includes extensive educational history. The Carlisle Barracks are home to the United States Army War College, and was also the home to the Carlisle Indian School, which is most famous for producing Jim Thorpe, who was possibly the most well-rounded athlete of all time. Also in Carlisle is Dickinson College, which produced James Buchanan, 15th President of the United States, and the Penn State Dickinson School of Law, one of the first law schools in the country.
The Carlisle Theatre, on High Street. The theater was built in 1939, and was originally called the Commerford Theatre.
Businesses on High Street.
The gates of Dickinson College, at High & West Streets, open up to the college's campus green.
Old West is the main building at Dickinson College. The structure is located in the middle of the campus green. Old West, or West College, was built in 1805, and was designed by Benjamin Latrobe.
Bosler Hall, to the west of Old West. The structure was built in 1884 to house the library.
Emil R. Weiss Center for the Arts, across High Street from the Dickinson College green. The building was originally the Alumni Gymnasium, and was built in 1929.
Denny Hall, at High & West Streets. The classroom building was built in 1905, and features the Allison Tower, which contains Dickinson College's bell.
The Bosler Memorial Library, on High Street. The library was built in 1899.
Grace United Methodist Church, on Pomfret Street. The church was built in 1929.
Houses on South Street.
The Dickinson School of Law of Pennsylvania State University, on College Street. The school was built in 1917, and was once affiliated with Dickinson College.
Houses on Pitt Street.
The old Cumberland County Jail, on High Street. The jail was built in 1854, and is meant to resemble the Carlisle Citadel in Carlisle, Cumbria, England.
A house on High Street.
First Evangelical Lutheran Church, on High Street. The church was built in 1900.
Buildings on Hanover Street.
Buildings on Hanover Street.
The old Cumberland County courthouse, on Hanover street.
The former courthouse was built in 1843.
The courthouse is most famous for damage that it endured during the Civil War.
On July 1, 1863, Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart came into Carlisle and demanded that Union General William Smith, who had occupied the town, surrender. When Smith didn't surrender, Stuart began shelling the town with artillery.
Despite Stuart bombarding the town, the "battle" does not have a clear winner. General Robert E. Lee called Stuart's unit to the Battle of Gettysburg, and Stuart disengaged the shelling, leaving Carlisle open for capture by the Union later on.
The current Cumberland County Courthouse, across Hanover Street from the old courthouse.
The courthouse was built in 1961 as the county government outgrew the 1843 courthouse.
Houses on High Street.
Houses on East Street.
The Henderson Block, on High Street.
St. John's Episcopal Church, on Hanover Street at Courthouse Square. The church was built in 1826 in the Federal style, and was overlaid with medieval detail and an entrance tower in 1861.
First Presbyterian Church, on Hanover Street at Courthouse Square. The church was built in 1769, with the rear section added in1873, and the tower added in 1901.
Berg Building, on Hanover Street. The structure was built in 1925.
Houses on Hanover Street.
The former Lear factory, and also IAC factory, on Carlisle Spring Road.
The former factory land will be redeveloped as event space.