View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 10:46 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
I could not believe my eyes when I seen Bornholm on the thread. I was just talking about it with the wife about how we missed out going there about 5 years ago. Long story short we made it to Ystad and I came down with the worst flu of my life and was held up in bed for three days missing probably the only chance I would ever have to visit this beautiful Island. Thank you for the pics.
Well if you have seen southern Sweden you do have the general idea of the island - but still a shame getting that sick on a vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Very nice Frek...

Question, is the land protected? I was thinking here in the US if that land wasn’t protected it would be covered with large custom estate homes..
Other than a few areas it's no more protected than anywhere else in the Kingdom.. but they are pretty strict codes regarding look and location of new homes.

There is however a limited population and not all that many modern jobs ( used to be an island relying on agriculture and fishing ) so the young people and those with money settle on other islands ( Copenhagen is only a few hours away by car and under an hour by plane ).

It's in that regard very typical rural Denmark - all the cozy small islands are typically abandoned by the youth why move to the larger cities to study and work and left are the seniors and the few stuck in the old food based industries..

The positive side of that is that these areas are very popular for vacationing, so many of the old homes becomes 'vacation homes' for the people in the cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
The medieval castle is like those we didn't care about in our country.
You'll see some like this in Italy too.
In ruins.
The Hammershus castle took some damage under a war with Sweden and then later when locals needed building materials they started breaking the castle down and using the stones - luckily something that was halted, but a lot of the castles was sadly lost or made into ruins like that