View Single Post
Old Posted May 5, 2010, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
For a town of 26,000, that's pretty awesome. I note on the aerial you posted that there isn't much evident sprawl, either. Is this a sign of complete economic stagnation, or is the town's economy relatively stable? Who are the major employers?
There's not much residential sprawl, but it's got the usual big commercial strip out by the highway. The town seemed stagnant, but not depressed, although that is just my passing-through impression. The railroad plays a big part in Burlington's economy. The "Burlington" in BNSF is this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post
Great shots Thundertubs!! Burlington was well captured though your lense. Alot of grit in this town, although the population hasn't decreased much since the 60s. (only by about 6,000). What it was in the 30s and 40s im not sure. I always had a small interest in visiting Burlington since the Burlington Bees which is a single A farmclub of the KC Royals recides there.
I forgot to mention the Bees, so thanks for bringing them up. The play in the Midwest league, in the same division as the Beloit Snappers. Single-A baseball is a neat feature for a town this size, and the Bees are a great team name.

-

Thanks folks! An Iowa town with an unusual Southern touch will be next.