View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 5:47 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Hey everyone, I am new to the world of dslr photography and in the market for a tripod. After spending approximately $700 in the past few weeks on the camera and other accessories, I would like to keep my budget under $100 for a tripod. I do understand that you get what you pay for and that there is no such thing as a cheap, lightweight and quality tripod, but can someone please recommend a good tripod for under $100.

I don't record many movies so I am basically just looking for it for stabilization of landscape and low light shots. After doing some research, I've found the Sony VCT-R640 on amazon for $49 and was thinking this might be a good choice based on reviews.

I am using a Nikon D3100 with the 18-55mm lens for now.

Thanks.
I would say for the most part, that should suffice.

From my use, I don't find a lot of benefit in plunking down a lot of money on a tripod unless you position the camera in unusual ways, say like how someformofhuman has in this thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=190268.

As long as the tripod is capable of handling the weight you give it and it is stable, you should be fine.

That said, I do have a $150 and a $100 (travel) Manfrotto tripods. Not top of the line, but the $150 is more than I need for sure.

Flickr®