View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2007, 4:53 AM
ॐ शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
New Commercial Supertall: Mumbai International Financial Center

Guys, this is HUGE news that friggin came out of nowhere to us seasoned skyscraper enthusiats here... The news is over a week old and no one came across it!

Mumbai looks to be getting another project with at least one -- possibly more than one -- supertall. And we are not talking about the India International Trade Center. First read the article and check out my comments below.

>>> I created a new thread in this forum specifically detailed to these projects. Please check it out. I also added my comments to this article in that thread. <<<

Govt shortlists 3 sites for financial hub
Quote:
ASHLEY D'MELLO
[21 Apr, 2007 l 0147 hrs ISTlTIMES NEWS NETWORK]

MUMBAI: The International Financial Centre (IFC) in the city, a 10-year-old project dogged by delays, may come up about sooner rather than later.

State government officials are already scouting around for a suitable site in which to house the complex and are considering sites at Dadar, CST and another on Bombay Port Trust land.

Officials said three sites were being considered: Rashtriya Textile Mill site owned by National Textile at Dadar, a plot within Bombay Port Trust land and a site off P D'Mello Road near CST on railway land. All are located in south Mumbai.

The IFC has been discussed for over a decade in the city for better international financial services and boost economic opportunities in the metropolis. However, the plan has never moved beyond the discussion stage.

Of late though, it has acquired momentum following the release of a Union ministry of finance report, which looked at the framework needed to be put in place for Mumbai to be promoted as an global destination for commerce.

Secretary for special projects in the city, Sanjay Ubale, admitted that government was keen on going ahead with the project. FM P Chidambaram's visit to the city later this month is expected to give the project a further boost.

The model being considered for the plan is the Hong Kong International Financial Centre complex which has two tall buildings housing such a centre.

Officials said the Hong Kong IFC has "a signature building" which is the tallest in the territory and the fourth tallest in the world with 88 storeys.

--=- | Check out The Indian Skyscraper Blog - Chronicling the vertical risE of India... | -=--