View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 5:29 AM

A few from New Jersey. (my pics)

Griffith Building, Newark

Newark

The highrise on the right (Fireman's Insurance Building) has been empty for decades, but looks like it's getting some work done here (May 2008).

The old Jersey City Medical Center complex is easily the most badass/creepy set of abandoned high-rises I'd ever seen. Fortunately they are currently being rehabbed into condos. These pics are from August 2000 when the entire complex was abandoned and had windows smashed out up to the 13th floor. It was built during the depression, pushed through by super-corrupt mayor Frank Hague, and was far too large, even in Jersey City's heyday.

Nobody knows about this place. It's amazing the obscurity that comes with being on the New Jersey side of the river. If these towers were in Brooklyn, they'd be legendary. I count them among my very favorite buildings anywhere.

This mammoth complex is far from downtown, so it really looms menacingly over the surrounding low-rise neighborhood. They are being renovated into luxury condos, although I'm note sure if they're selling or not. It's a pretty dicey area and kind of far from the Journal Square subway. I'm glad they were saved, though.

Last edited by Thundertubs; Jan 15, 2011 at 5:58 AM.