View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
The reason Dilworth Plaza doesn't work (in any form) is because of the over saturation of plazas in the immediate vicinity. Philly just doesn't have the population (non-homeless) to make use of three adjacent parks - Dilworth, Love, and Municipal Services. I'd rather have one good plaza than three lousy ones, which is what we have now. I don't see how replacing the concrete with grass will make difference. The problem is too many plazas, not enough people.
It's interesting due to the sheer amount of activity in the general area. Aside from Dilworth, there is the Court building being built in full swing, two new parking lots (with other components) being built on Arch, across from the convention center. The convention center expansion itself which just finished relatively recently (though I agree it is of dubious value. It would be great if the northern end of Love Park could be somehow developed, though I don't see that happening. I have high hopes for Dilworth, the design will help alot, IMO, but your underlying point does stand.

Philadelphia is not a city of palaces for the few, but a city of homes for the many.