View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 12:32 AM

Београд - Beograd - Belgrade

Moving on from sleepy Sarajevo, the Euro tour continues with Belgrade, Serbia. See previous sets here:

Norway, Netherlands, Spain, South England, London, Edinburgh, Iceland, France, and Bosnia

I took a train from Sarajevo to Belgrade and really got to see some interesting parts of Eastern Europe, seweage processing plants, decrepit industry, bombed and burned out factories. The windows on the train were dirty and didn't open so I didn't get any shots. Pulling into Belgrade I could already tell it was substantially larger than Sarajevo. It felt like a major city, much busier and chaotic. I only spent a few days there but felt I got to see most of the downtown. Highlights include the largest Eastern Orthodox church in the world, it is currently under construction; a run down soviet era style market complete with grumpy, bearded ladies; and getting caught in a rainstorm without my umbrella. Belgrade means the White City but it should really change its name to the Gray City, lot's of drab. The people were colorful and there seemed to be a tinge of eccentricity within the culture, what can you expect from a country that put Tesla on its currency.

Some Serbian music
Video Link

The following juxtiposition is dedicated to Austinlee:

That's it for Superbia, next stop, wild Ukraine.