View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 7:51 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Helsingør
Elsinore

Going further east we end up in the old strategic port of Elsinore - home of the Elsinore castle and a very well kept medival old town

We start by visiting the 'Kronborg Slot' castle made famous by the fictive Hamlet written by Shakespear

In the old days both sides of the strait used to be Danish and we taxed all ships passing - now the opposit side is Sweden

So this is no toy castle, it had a very important role and was contrary to most other Danish castles further defended after the age of cannons

To enter it you need to go trough a series of ports, moats and gates

Castle moat with Elsinore old town in the background

On the land between the moats barracks were constructed to house the soldiers manning the guns

Good luck getting in there under fire ( halfway trough the defenses )

There we go, only a stone trow away - and the closest I will get today

Off to the old town we go..

The exit is more inviting than the entry I must say

The rapid ferries between Denmark and Sweden, departs from each side every 10min

Getting closer

And we're there..

Another castle? Nope - it's the train station..

Flower market.

In typical Scandinavian fashion most of the old town have been made into a pedestrian shopping zone

Ehmm.. yeah...

The side streets are unchanged for the last 400 years

All private homes here was tudor 400-500 years ago

People back then had no respect for fires - some learned it the hard way..

Scandinavia representing!

And that's it.. the end of the northern cost - I hope the pics gave you an idea about how it is like up there.. maybe even made you want to visit some day

As a bonus here's a few pictures from the outskirts of Elsinore along the Strandvej ( "beach road" ) hugging the eastern coast between Elsinore and Copenhagen ( the most exclusive road in the Kingdom )

A beach hotel..

Old houses

And the Strandvej itself ( expect a lot of coverage from the road and it's cities in the following months )