HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:43 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

A ByWard Market revival this summer will mean more people creating ‘collective safety,’ official says

Mia Jensen, OBJ
May 16, 2024 4:26 PM ET

As the ByWard Market District Authority moves forward with its mandate to revive the popular area, executive director Zachary Dayler says there’s one underrated contributor to increased safety in the Market: people.

“We’re making good strides in terms of putting people on the streets,” Dayler told OBJ Thursday. “The (authority) needs to make sure we’re continuing to have events that bring large amounts of people. Why? Because that creates more eyes on the street, that creates more people to create a sense of collective safety.”

The pandemic dealt a particularly significant blow to the ByWard Market, which saw a drop in foot traffic and an increase in the number of people experiencing homelessness and mental health issues. Resulting crime and safety issues made headlines, making some residents and tourists hesitant to stop by.

The authority, which was created last year and officially launches this spring with the kickoff of the farmers’ market season, is part of the city’s efforts to revitalize the Market. According to Dayler, this summer is expected to be the beginning of a revival.

“There’s a real difference about this year,” he said. “From an observation perspective, we’re starting to see school tours return in a way I haven’t seen in the last four-and-a-half years. We’re starting to see more tourists from France and more of that international presence in the Market. Personally, it feels like we are back to a bit of normality.”

Looking at the data, Dayler said traffic in the area has been steadily increasing and time will tell if this year’s numbers return to pre-pandemic levels. To help measure the Market’s recovery, the organization will track more than just foot traffic this summer.

“We’ll have to closely monitor (consumer) spending and a lot of factors can impact that,” he said. “I think we can expect a minor economic boom. There’s still a bit of savings dollars that are in people’s accounts from before. But I do think one of the challenges we need to be aware of is where people are spending their dollars domestically. That’s why tourism is really important.”

With a view to attracting more people, Dayler said his team is making sure there’s something for everyone all summer long.

“We have a full season of programming lined up that the team has been working hard on, with the focus of drawing people down with events that we know are going to be of interest,” he said. “As the district authority, we’ve been able to program a lot more of a robust season down here and that really is just the result of the amalgamated authority being able to work efficiently and effectively in stride with the city.”

For vendors, the authority has begun replacing the 30-year-old metal canopies with retrofitted containers.

“There was wear and tear and some of them were beyond repair. They needed to be replaced,” said Dayler. “In talking to vendors, for a lot of them, the biggest impediment to setting up is storage.”

The containers, which are fabricated with roll-up doors that can be secured overnight, were tested in a pilot program last summer. This summer, there are plans for a total of 14 containers to be used by vendors.

Dayler added that the new setup opens up options for a winter market as well.

“There’s a lot of flexibility at a low entry point,” he said. “There’s a lot of success there. Plus, they’re almost like these perfect little Instagram snapshots. Businesses have done a really great job dressing them.”

Beautification efforts, which form part of the ByWard Market Public Realm Plan, are underway. The authority has partnered with the Canadian Tulip Festival to fill flower beds and local artists will brighten up the streets and the new containers with colourful murals. There’s also a new program to keep the area clean after events. While Dayler said the effects won’t be obvious right away, regular cleanings will eventually wash away decades of built-up dirt.

“You should start to see the general quality and beautification standards increase over time, which is within our mandate,” said Dayler.

While Dayler hopes having more people around will help everyone feel safer, he added that other security measures are being introduced in the Market to address issues from drug use and break-ins to homelessness and mental health.

For example, the new police operations centre being set up in the Rideau Centre will increase police presence on the ground.

“That is a significant, significant resource,” said Dayler. “One of the logistical issues was that when police made an arrest in the Market, they had to bring the person up to the Elgin Street station. Once they’ve made that trip, (the officers are) less likely to come back. With the neighbourhood operations centre being here and being a hub of activity, I don’t think we’re going to see the dropping of service levels the same way we have in the past.”

Police will soon begin summer night patrols and two by-law officers will be present in the Market, cutting down on response times.

Dayler says the authority will continue to advocate for business owners on all issues, including those related to safety.

“We need to continue with some of the larger advocacy efforts and things that are going on that the (authority) has no say in,” he said. “All of those issues are critical and the role the (authority) plays is making sure our approach is balanced between public market space and providing a safe environment.”

https://obj.ca/byward-market-revival...ective-safety/

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 4:11 AM

Three big positives I take away from the article:
  • Regular cleanings and improving beautification standards. Much of the city could use this treatment but cleaning up trash/debris and some pressure washing will go a long way in improving the Market's appearance.
  • Two bylaw officers stationed in the Market (presumably on top of regular staffing). A big nuisance in the Market is illegally parked cars, mostly rideshare drivers and food delivery couriers stopped/parked in ridiculous manners with their hazards on. Each is a rarely more than a minor inconvenience on their own but when there's dozens and dozens of them, it becomes too much. Hopefully bylaw can also enforce bylaws on noisy nuisance vehicles and sidewalk e-scooter use.
  • Police presence... pretty self explanatory. Regular folk should not have to tolerate illegal behaviour, including hard drug use, harassment, theft, etc.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 4:33 AM

Well I'm one person who won't be coming back to the market...farmers are gone, no more fresh fruits and veggies. Most shops are gone and have been replaced by mediocre bars and restaurants. And even the restaurants are shutting down.

Where is all the "beautification"? Remember the cute fountain in one of the courtyards? Gone. How about the fountain near Rideau Street? Gone. The vendors are now stuck in godawful shipping containers. (What an improvement to the streetscape! ) Drug addicts all over the place, dirt, the pungent odour of urine in the parking lots, the ugly cracked sidewalks. The monstrous Hudson's Bay Wall. And there is nothing of any real interest there.

Back in the day the market was THE place to be. Not anymore. The city abandoned it. To be honest I much prefer to spend my Sunday afternoons at the well maintained and very appealing Jean Talon Market or Atwater Market in Montreal.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:53 PM

To each their own I guess, every time I go to the market it seems as busy and as lively as ever.

Last time I went it was Cinco de Mayo. William St was all closed for pedestrians and it was packed! There were colourful flags, a churro truck, and a small stage set up in the Plaza. That's exactly what we need more of, places for people to sit and enjoy and more entertainment options (live music, bands, artists/painters, buskers, etc).

It's definitely not dead but still has potential to continue heading in the right direction. I wish they would speed up the redevelopment of the market building and closing more of the streets for pedestrians in the area.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
To each their own I guess, every time I go to the market it seems as busy and as lively as ever.

Last time I went it was Cinco de Mayo. William St was all closed for pedestrians and it was packed! There were colourful flags, a churro truck, and a small stage set up in the Plaza. That's exactly what we need more of, places for people to sit and enjoy and more entertainment options (live music, bands, artists/painters, buskers, etc).

It's definitely not dead but still has potential to continue heading in the right direction. I wish they would speed up the redevelopment of the market building and closing more of the streets for pedestrians in the area.
This board tends towards the all cars bad. But it's so blatantly obvious the only solution is pedestrianization. The actual market function is almost entirely dead. If we want to maintain that we need to loosen the rules and costs. Or we can become recreation only zone which requires pushing cars to the outside freeing up streets for cafes and restaurants to spill out.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post

I agree with you. I've been three or four times in the past few weeks, including on weekdays, and every time it was super busy. Particularly on the Cinco de Mayo weekend. We actually gave up on trying to find a spot on William because there were so many people.

I'm not sure where this impression that the restaurants are closing comes from. The variety and selection is as good as it's been in years, and some of the new ones like Starling and Julia are excellent. The new wine bar Daphne is on a bunch of "best of" lists.

My sense is that they have some momentum, so hopefully they can keep it rolling.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:33 PM

Parking garage is the best vantage point for a lot of things in the Market. Although removing parking is a good thing, I will miss that parking garage. Really hope whatever replaces it will include a roof top terrace all around the perimeter.

That said, the way the current Council is going, that parking garage may have many more years left.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I agree with you. I've been three or four times in the past few weeks, including on weekdays, and every time it was super busy. Particularly on the Cinco de Mayo weekend. We actually gave up on trying to find a spot on William because there were so many people.

I'm not sure where this impression that the restaurants are closing comes from. The variety and selection is as good as it's been in years, and some of the new ones like Starling and Julia are excellent. The new wine bar Daphne is on a bunch of "best of" lists.

My sense is that they have some momentum, so hopefully they can keep it rolling.
Yes the "troubles" in the market is helping the restaurant scene. The tourist trap places are maybe struggling which perhaps has led to lower rents and therefore a focus on quality over quantity? That's speculative it's just as likely simply Covid clearing out the dead wood and a new generation of entrepreneurs entering the fray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Parking garage is the best vantage point for a lot of things in the Market. Although removing parking is a good thing, I will miss that parking garage. Really hope whatever replaces it will include a roof top terrace all around the perimeter.

That said, the way the current Council is going, that parking garage may have many more years left.
There is a need for parking and a good compromise can be more parking garage spaces and less on street parking and removing cars at least in warm weather from the core of the market.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:23 PM

I agree, we can't eliminate all parking. Eliminating parking within the Market and having partnerships with land owners around the area providing "affordable" parking (i.e. not ridiculously expensive like the office blocks across the Canal, or Rideau Centre) is the cities plan to replace the parking garage. They just haven't done any work on it as the area continues to develop and that oppurtunity squanders.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I agree, we can't eliminate all parking. Eliminating parking within the Market and having partnerships with land owners around the area providing "affordable" parking (i.e. not ridiculously expensive like the office blocks across the Canal, or Rideau Centre) is the cities plan to replace the parking garage. They just haven't done any work on it as the area continues to develop and that oppurtunity squanders.
What does parthernship with landowners mean? We subsidize it to make cheap parking? The city lot is pretty reasonable but people want free parking and there are some nights when things do get very full.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
What does parthernship with landowners mean? We subsidize it to make cheap parking? The city lot is pretty reasonable but people want free parking and there are some nights when things do get very full.
They haven't given a whole lot of details, but essentially yeah, probably subsidized parking. We'll see if it ever happens.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 6:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Street problems growing as Byward Market awaits opening of new police hub
"Supply" issues have pushed back the original plan for a June 3 start-up of the Rideau Centre office

Ken Warren, Ottawa Citizen
Published May 28, 2024 • Last updated 37 minutes ago • 2 minute read

While the official opening of the new police hub at the Rideau Centre has been delayed from the originally planned June 3 start-up date, scores of Lowertown residents fear for their safety.

On Monday night, the Ottawa Police Service Board heard from a steady stream of concerned citizens living in or around the Byward Market.

The daily issues involve noise associated with around-the-clock drug dealing and a growing homeless epidemic in what one speaker described as a “neglected jewel” of the city.

Residents told the OPS board about an increase in defecation and urination around homes and a rise in vulgar comments as some folks on the street have become more aggressive in begging for cash.

One concerned grandmother was in tears as she catalogued a series of street issues and talked about advising her visiting grandchildren not to touch discarded crack pipes and needles.

Every one of the speakers said the situation has become worse since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Recognizing that police budgets have been stretched to the limit amid the city’s affordable housing crisis, there was mild hope that the new police hub could make a difference.

However, the Neighbourhood Operations Centre (NOC), situated on the first level of the Rideau Centre facing Rideau Street, won’t be ready next week.

Ottawa Police Chief Eric Stubbs told reporters on Monday that supply chain issues are the reason for the delay.

The NOC is a significant element of the Police Service’s Community Outreach Response and Enforcement Strategy, but Stubbs says that the plans for an increased police presence in and around the Byward Market have already started.

Ottawa Police have previously said that the goal is to target the hottest potential crime spots — neighbourhood groups and analytics have been used to determine the most serious areas — with more of a police presence in Lowertown.

Details of the Community Outreach and Enforcement Strategy were announced in March, a joint $48 million agreement between the city of Ottawa and the Ontario government to enhance public safety in the most vulnerable downtown communities.

kwarren@postmedia.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...new-police-hub

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 9:31 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Public servants being moved from downtown building due to 'safety concerns'
In an email to staff, obtained by this newspaper, the "building senior team" said employees located at 400 Cumberland St. would be moving.

Catherine Morrison, Ottawa Citizen
Published May 30, 2024 • Last updated 37 minutes ago • 2 minute read

Amid the government’s push to bring workers back to the office three days a week, some public servants working for the Department of National Defence (DND) are being moved out of their downtown office due to “ongoing safety concerns” of working in the Cumberland and Rideau Street area.

In an email to staff in February, obtained by this newspaper, the “building senior team” said employees located at 400 Cumberland St. would be moving, with the majority going to the 11th and 12th floors of the Major-General George R. Pearkes Building at 101 Colonel By Drive.

Others will relocate to other sites in the National Capital Region, including 455 Boulevard de la Carrière and 72 Laval St.

The Government of Canada’s directory of federal real property, shows that Cumberland Place is partially occupied and has one tenant – National Defence. The building’s use, the website states, is for military, office, parks and recreation and warehouse, storage and workshops.

An earlier email to staff in February, also obtained by this newspaper, detailed that an employee had been “verbally and physically accosted” by a resident while on Rideau St. The note reminded staff to “remain vigilant as they travel in the area” and to stay safe by travelling in pairs and avoiding using phones or headphones “in the immediate vicinity.” It said staff should report any incidents to the Ottawa Police Service.

According to the most recent email, the move would help “address the ongoing safety concerns of working in the Cumberland and Rideau Street area of the downtown core,” with relocation plans to be staggered beginning in June.

“While there are likely those who would like to start the move sooner, the decision has been taken that we will not move until the new location is move-in ready,” the email stated. “That means that the cubicles will be standardized with regards to IT, the drops verified and that common areas have been cleaned and made ready for us to occupy.”

The email indicated that moving to the Major-General George R. Pearkes Building would require shifting to a “hotel style of workplace.”

“The move planners will continue to engage with representatives from the projects and groups throughout the building to ensure that we receive as much information as possible and to ensure that the initial plan allows projects to be able to continue carrying out their mandates,” it said.

DND did not respond to a request for comment.

The relocation is taking place at the same time the federal government is mandating all public servants to return to the office at least three days a week, with managers asked to work on-site four days a week.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/publi...afety-concerns

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 11:00 AM

Those “ongoing safety concerns” affect everyone,
not just the public servants working for the Department of National Defence (DND).
Should the Rideau Center and the Byward market also relocate?

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 12:11 PM

Does the police know that they can post officers in the Byward Market even without the Rideau Centre operations centre? We need boots on the ground, not asses in a Market adjacent office.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Those “ongoing safety concerns” affect everyone,
not just the public servants working for the Department of National Defence (DND).
Should the Rideau Center and the Byward market also relocate?
The better comparison would be "should people stop going to the Rideau Center (sic) and the Byward Market". Many have done.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The better comparison would be "should people stop going to the Rideau Center (sic) and the Byward Market". Many have done.
Not to downplay or ignore some of the issues in the area but the Market, Rideau Centre and Rideau area seems busier than ever.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7empest View Post
Not to downplay or ignore some of the issues in the area but the Market, Rideau Centre and Rideau area seems busier than ever.
My impression as well. The trend seems to be quite positive lately and the complete lack of retail vacancy in the Market would reinforce that view. The Rideau Centre also reports foot traffic is up, so I kind of doubt that "many" regular customers no longer go.

There is an issue of media hyperbole that the Market will need to with, as these reports don't always match reality. I also think that lots of the opinions on the Market come from people who say in the next breath that they don't go there or haven't been in years.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
My impression as well. The trend seems to be quite positive lately and the complete lack of retail vacancy in the Market would reinforce that view. The Rideau Centre also reports foot traffic is up, so I kind of doubt that "many" regular customers no longer go.

There is an issue of media hyperbole that the Market will need to with, as these reports don't always match reality. I also think that lots of the opinions on the Market come from people who say in the next breath that they don't go there or haven't been in years.
Bingo. It's funny how the people who claim to be experts on the current status of the district are also the ones who claim they rarely or never visit, while also advising all their family/friends to avoid doing so as well. I don't think the Market needs to try to win them back either - even if they come back, it's hard to get them out of the disparaging mindset and they'll be gone at the first sight of something unsavoury even if it's something they'd tolerate without thinking twice about in TOR/MTL.

I think most of the people visiting the Market these days are new local residents, thanks to intensification efforts, and tourists. Mostly people without negative preconceived notions about the Market. It's crazy how much the unsavoury behaviour is drowned out in the masses of "normal" people. That being said, I think constant police presence is important in areas like this as a visual deterrent and to offer a sense of reassurance to those who are/were timid about visiting. Homelessness/addiction shouldn't be criminalized, but bothering people should be.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
I think most of the people visiting the Market these days are new local residents, thanks to intensification efforts, and tourists. Mostly people without negative preconceived notions about the Market. It's crazy how much the unsavoury behaviour is drowned out in the masses of "normal" people. That being said, I think constant police presence is important in areas like this as a visual deterrent and to offer a sense of reassurance to those who are/were timid about visiting. Homelessness/addiction shouldn't be criminalized, but bothering people should be.
Yeah, new residents and kids. My teenage daughter's cohort is at the Rideau Centre/Market regularly, and they don't seem to be scared.

You're right, the unsavoury behaviour was much more evident in Covid when the streets were much quieter. Much less apparent now that the crowds have returned.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues