HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 1:48 AM
Whatever...

A few photos of Indianapolis from above and the ground...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 1:52 AM
skeetskeetskeet

those are pretty damn sweet! never been there, but it looks nice. bigger than i thought.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 3:14 AM
Eurosceptic

nice crisp photos

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 4:39 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

The Kansas City of the Eastern Time Zone.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 5:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
??? Have you ever been to KC before?

I don't see a single 30+ story art-deco skyscraper from the 20's-30's in any of these pics. 95% of Indy looks like it was built after 1970. I also don't see any 80-100 year old massive brick warehouse districts with millions of sq. ft anywhere in these pics. KC has 4 such warehouse districts; the West Bottoms, Garment District, the City Market & the Crossroads Art District.

I also don't see anything close to KC's 8 million sq. ft. Crown Center complex. Does Indy have an urban entertainment district that compares to Westport? What about a similiar neighborhood/District comparison to KC's Plaza?

Last edited by harbinger320; Mar 13, 2007 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 5:10 AM
Whatever...

Quote:
Couldn't disagree more. KC blows away Indy in every aspect except Indy has a fairly vibrant and busy downtown. KC will catch up in a hurry though. Everything else about KC vs Indy from the urban core to the burbs totally leans KC's way and that is my honest to god, non biased opinion.

Now Cincinnati is a different story. I have a whole new respect for Cincy. I have only been there one time and that was a long time ago and I didn't spent much time there.

I now consider Cincy as a top Midwestern city. I would even give it the edge over larger St Louis and for the most part, it kicks KC's ass when it comes to urbanity.

The northwest side of Indy has some KCMO traits, but even it is lacking. The urban core of Indy is extremely lacking in density and most of the city is more on par with OKC. The old parts of indy deserve some credit, but overall, I was thoroughly unimpressed by the city as whole outside the shopping district of downtown and the riverwalk.

Don't get me wrong, I like the city. But it makes KC seem like a much larger and urban city than it is when you compare the two.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 5:18 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Those are without a double some of the best Indy pics I have ever seen. I could have saved everyone of them to my hard drive.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 5:20 AM
Eurosceptic

thoroughly unimpressive? perhaps... but it does have a bakery for dogs

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 6:22 AM

Very nice.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 2:37 PM

Very nice work, as always. Indy needs to do something about those surface lots North of DT!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 3:38 PM
Meh

Cool. I'm always kind of surprised at how small the skyline is. I mean, it's not really small, but it's so densely packed. All of the talls are within a block or so of each other. I've always been a fan of it, though, especially the Chase Tower and One Indianpolis Square.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 4:07 PM

Another outstanding spread.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 4:59 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

The downtown skyline (from the air) is nice. However the ground level photos show a stunning well maintained downtown core.

I do agree with harbinger320 in regards to what appears to be a lack of significant historical highrises "art-deco skyscraper from the 20's-30's",
or at least nothing that stands out. Buildings that one might have expected from a midwestern city.

Indianapolis is one city that I haven't yet had the opportunity to visit;
though i hope to at some point in the future.

Great job as usual KC...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 5:13 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger320 View Post
??? Have you ever been to KC before?

I don't see a single 30+ story art-deco skyscraper from the 20's-30's in any of these pics. 95% of Indy looks like it was built after 1970. I also don't see any 80-100 year old massive brick warehouse districts with millions of sq. ft anywhere in these pics. KC has 4 such warehouse districts; the West Bottoms, Garment District, the City Market & the Crossroads Art District.

I also don't see anything close to KC's 8 million sq. ft. Crown Center complex. Does Indy have an urban entertainment district that compares to Westport? What about a similiar neighborhood/District comparison to KC's Plaza?
Uhh...thank you, CVB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCgridlock View Post
Couldn't disagree more. KC blows away Indy in every aspect except Indy has a fairly vibrant and busy downtown. KC will catch up in a hurry though. Everything else about KC vs Indy from the urban core to the burbs totally leans KC's way and that is my honest to god, non biased opinion.

Now Cincinnati is a different story. I have a whole new respect for Cincy. I have only been there one time and that was a long time ago and I didn't spent much time there.

I now consider Cincy as a top Midwestern city. I would even give it the edge over larger St Louis and for the most part, it kicks KC's ass when it comes to urbanity.

The northwest side of Indy has some KCMO traits, but even it is lacking. The urban core of Indy is extremely lacking in density and most of the city is more on par with OKC. The old parts of indy deserve some credit, but overall, I was thoroughly unimpressed by the city as whole outside the shopping district of downtown and the riverwalk.

Don't get me wrong, I like the city. But it makes KC seem like a much larger and urban city than it is when you compare the two.
Well, I was being quite general in my comment. It wasn't to say "Indy = KC" as both are quite different in style (KC seems more neighborhood-oriented; Indianapolis certainly more downtown-oriented) but I was simply discussing the size, Midwestern, broad streets, use of fountains throughout both cities (though, of course, KC has more), the random art districts (Crossroads; Broad Ripples), the monumental scale with sporadic curvilinear/angular boulevards, etc. I'm not really discussing the more specific details (30's highrises are irrelevant, on a whole) but a general picture.

But of course, both are quite different from each other and I'm not going to belittle either city, as they are both wonderful cities.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:03 PM

Quote:
OUCH(for KC residents)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:53 PM
BANNED

I like these pics of Indy. The reality is if you put Columbus and Dayton Ohio skylines together it would look exactly equal to downtown Indianapolis. A nice core and skyline of 70's-90's style architecture.

Quote:
Well, I was being quite general in my comment. It wasn't to say "Indy = KC" as both are quite different in style (KC seems more neighborhood-oriented; Indianapolis certainly more downtown-oriented) but I was simply discussing the size, Midwestern, broad streets, use of fountains throughout both cities (though, of course, KC has more), the random art districts (Crossroads; Broad Ripples), the monumental scale with sporadic curvilinear/angular boulevards, etc. I'm not really discussing the more specific details (30's highrises are irrelevant, on a whole) but a general picture.

But of course, both are quite different from each other and I'm not going to belittle either city, as they are both wonderful cities.
Yeah... blah, blah, blah - whatever the hell that means.

You actually "belittled" both with your silly quip. If you don't know the difference between KC's Crossroads Arts District and "Broad Ripples" (sic) you don't know squat about either city.

KC's Crossroads is a concentration of 60+ galleries in a dense, brick warehouse district in the south loop of KC's downtown and is actually one of the top 4 art neighborhoods in the entire country. There's nothing "random" about it. Broad Ripple is 1-2 level strip several miles from Indy's core.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 9:31 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger320 View Post
I like these pics of Indy. The reality is if you put Columbus and Dayton Ohio skylines together it would look exactly equal to downtown Indianapolis. A nice core and skyline of 70's-90's style architecture.

Yeah... blah, blah, blah - whatever the hell that means.

You actually "belittled" both with your silly quip. If you don't know the difference between KC's Crossroads Arts District and "Broad Ripples" (sic) you don't know squat about either city.

KC's Crossroads is a concentration of 60+ galleries in a dense, brick warehouse district in the south loop of KC's downtown and is actually one of the top 4 art neighborhoods in the entire country. There's nothing "random" about it. Broad Ripple is 1-2 level strip several miles from Indy's core.
A). Crossroads and Broad Ripples were simple plural examples of ART DISTRICTS. Much like I could've said "the KCs and Indys of the world." I could've easily have said Mass Ave for Indianapolis. Oh, but that's right. I don't know squat about either city, right? Next.

B). The insecurity in your post is SSP circa 2002. Please don't bring up old times (talking about the Col/Day comment, as one could easily have been said about Kansas City and Topeka's skyline "equaling" Indianapolis in 70's-90's era) as you will surely get banned for such foolishness.

C). I was not insulting either city. I was merely addressing KCgridlock (hint: he's not you).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 9:39 PM
E pluribus unum

Fantastic as usual, KC.

Now post those Cincinnati aerials. You've teased us enough already!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 10:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
A). Crossroads and Broad Ripples were simple plural examples of ART DISTRICTS. Much like I could've said "the KCs and Indys of the world." I could've easily have said Mass Ave for Indianapolis. Oh, but that's right. I don't know squat about either city, right? Next.

B). The insecurity in your post is SSP circa 2002. Please don't bring up old times (talking about the Col/Day comment, as one could easily have been said about Kansas City and Topeka's skyline "equaling" Indianapolis in 70's-90's era) as you will surely get banned for such foolishness.

C). I was not insulting either city. I was merely addressing KCgridlock (hint: he's not you).
Blah, blah, blah...
You could have at least spelled Broad Ripple correctly this time, no?
After all we're talking about Indy here.

I wasn't on this site in 2002 as I have a life. My comment about Columbus and Dayton is pretty clear, Columbus + Dayton skylines together = Indy. Same architecture, same era built, etc... Eye-freakin-dentical. That's a far better and rationale comparison.

And knowing about Mass Ave. now makes you knowledgeable about Indy?
LoL! Outside of which Standard Time Zones they're in you certainly know nothing about either city.

Great pic!~

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 10:57 PM
Old Fart Forumer

KCgrid =

Thanks.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos