HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:30 PM
Eurosceptic

Smethport, PA & Port Allegany, PA

Smethport (pop. 1,655) is the seat of McKean County (pop. 43,450) in north-central Pennsylvania, located on US Route 6. Smethport was incorporated as a borough in 1853. In the late 19th century, oil, gas and lumber spurred Smethport's boomtown growth. However, like much of the Northern Tier, Smethport stagnated in the early 20th century as lumber was depleted and other parts of the U.S. superceded Northern PA as centers of oil and gas production. The town sustained itself with glass production and administrative functions.

The wealth generated by resource extraction endowed Smethport with an impressive collection of mansions. The town remains attractive and well-preserved.

Smethport has experienced a couple notable weather events. The coldest temperature ever recorded in Pennsylvania was recorded in Smethport: -42° F on January 5, 1904. Smethport is also home of the U.S. record for 24 hour rainfall from a non-tropical system at 34 inches of rain.

The McKean County Courthouse was built in 1942 after the 1881 version burnt down.

Smethport's Mansion District

Hamlin Lake

Port Allegany (pop. 2,157) is located in eastern McKean County along US Route 6, 10 miles west of Smethport and 17 miles east of Coudersport. Port Allegany is located along the Allegheny River (yes, multiple spellings persist... with Allegany popular in Northern PA and Southern NY) 30 miles west of the headwaters.

Incorporated as a borough in 1882 during the McKean County resource extraction boom, Port Allegany grew as a center of sawmills, tanneries, chemicals and glass production. Two glass plants continue operating today.

Port Allegany is known as the "Glass Block Capital of the World"!

They love their "diners" on Rt 6!

St. Gobain Glass Container Factory

Pittsburgh Corning glass block factory... supposedly the only such facility in the Western hemisphere...

Last edited by Evergrey; Jun 23, 2011 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:39 PM

Once again, charming towns surrounded by outstanding scenery. And both towns appear to have a good diner!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 1:50 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Glass Block Capital of the World. Huh.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 1:52 AM

Nice pictures. You captured more of Smethport than I did when I was there. Port Allegany looks nice, and the school that you showed matches with some other Frank Lloyd Wright-style buildings in the area, including a house outside of town that's nestled amongst the trees.

The diner in Smethport reminds me of the one in Wellsboro. You're right, they love their diners on Route 6!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 3:17 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. You captured more of Smethport than I did when I was there. Port Allegany looks nice, and the school that you showed matches with some other Frank Lloyd Wright-style buildings in the area, including a house outside of town that's nestled amongst the trees.

The diner in Smethport reminds me of the one in Wellsboro. You're right, they love their diners on Route 6!
you saw that house? It surprised me and there was no chance to photograph it while I was driving... but it looked awesome!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
you saw that house? It surprised me and there was no chance to photograph it while I was driving... but it looked awesome!
I was never in Port Allegany and never saw that house, but have read about it. For some reason there's a disproportionately high amount of modernist stuff there, which has been documented.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 4:17 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I was never in Port Allegany and never saw that house, but have read about it. For some reason there's a disproportionately high amount of modernist stuff there, which has been documented.
It's called Lynn Hall and is located just west of Port Allegany on Route 6 overlooking a valley. It was built in the 1930s by the FLW's chief contractor on Fallingwater.

http://www.smethporthistory.org/port...lynnhall3.html

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 12:48 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

^Wow, interesting structure.

Smethport looks like a very cute town; Nice buildings, beautiful scenery.

I would go insane from the cultural isolation though. I'm sure the internet has had a profound effect on townsies who reside in places like this. They must be looking at things online that are blowing their minds even right now.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 3:08 AM

More awesomeness in Perry's Ice Cream territory. Thanks

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
I would go insane from the cultural isolation though. I'm sure the internet has had a profound effect on townsies who reside in places like this. They must be looking at things online that are blowing their minds even right now.
It's not as if all the people who live in towns like Smethport in the northern tier of PA are culturally-isolated redneck white trash "townsies" with no education. You'd find quite the opposite, actually. There are very respectable, professional people here. It's easy to see that just from the pics in this thread.

In fact, you'll find more redneck white trash whose minds would be blown by what they would see on the internet (if they had cable) in close proximity to Pittsburgh, than you'll find here. It's real easy... northern tier towns are just miles from New York, towns around Pittsburgh are just miles from West Virginia... both are Appalachia, but there is a big difference.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 7:14 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thank you very much for your pictures, Evergrey!

I like very much these kind of towns, surrounded by woods, lakes, nature...

It must be fantastic to live in one of these towns. They look to be very quiet and pleasant.

I´ve liked very much the houses and the green of the grass and trees around them.

Congratulations and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 3:46 AM

Smethport is quite a bit more attractive than the name would suggest.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 4:15 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundertubs View Post
Smethport is quite a bit more attractive than the name would suggest.
I'm not quite sure what the name "suggests", but I rather like it. There's a string of towns with "port" in the name in that area of PA's Northern Tier... which is kinda neat... mostly along the nascent Allegheny River or its tributaries.

The name comes from a family of Dutch bankers named "de Smeth" who invested in this area in the early 1800s.

A descendant, Matthew de Smeth, visited last month.

http://smethportpa.org/news/mayor-ro...-to-smethport/

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 2:43 PM
America's Hometown

I like the old mansions in Smethport.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 11:00 PM
Beer Stampede

Another great job, Evergrey!! Both towns had a decent stock of older large homes!! Must be a great place to retire!!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 5:41 PM

What an interesting part of the country!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 6:06 AM

Gorgeous shots!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
It's not as if all the people who live in towns like Smethport in the northern tier of PA are culturally-isolated redneck white trash "townsies" with no education. You'd find quite the opposite, actually. There are very respectable, professional people here. It's easy to see that just from the pics in this thread.

In fact, you'll find more redneck white trash whose minds would be blown by what they would see on the internet (if they had cable) in close proximity to Pittsburgh, than you'll find here. It's real easy... northern tier towns are just miles from New York, towns around Pittsburgh are just miles from West Virginia... both are Appalachia, but there is a big difference.
Exactly PJ. I get sick of PAPride's arrogance on here. I have no idea why his screen name is PAPride, when all he does is rip on every place that isn't Pittsburgh.

I am in Warren, PA - a hick town to PAPride, but we have more of a NY (Buffalo) influence up here. People here even have office jobs and cell phones. lol.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 1:36 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy064 View Post
Exactly PJ. I get sick of PAPride's arrogance on here. I have no idea why his screen name is PAPride, when all he does is rip on every place that isn't Pittsburgh.

I am in Warren, PA - a hick town to PAPride, but we have more of a NY (Buffalo) influence up here. People here even have office jobs and cell phones. lol.
I'm glad you enjoyed the photos...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 4:19 PM

Wow - great tour. Very impressive towns. Thanks!!!
"There is no end of opinions ready to be expressed. Studying them can go on forever and become very exhausting!" Ecc. 12:12 (NLT)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos