HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:09 AM

Plaza Tower

Bad news. 2-3 years until we see construction, at least.

Quote:
The Plaza Tower, the long-troubled 45-story skyscraper at the corner of Loyola and Howard avenues, likely will remain vacant for another two to three years as the building's latest owners wait for the completion of a nearby streetcar line and luxury apartment complex in hopes of making their property more marketable.
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...vacant_as.html

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 5:30 AM

I remember when Brian Burns bought the building he said it would be a few years before any work commenced. This fleshes out the reason for the delay. Makes sense from an investment standpoint. Wish the work would start sooner, but I understand the delay. It's a major project that will need substantial financing to pull off.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 5:40 AM
TL;DR

This is good news to me. It shows that the owner is looking for a way to redevelop the property and sees a bright future. South Market District is about to gear up and transform that space from a huge tailgating wasteland to a proper urban neighborhood. New frequent streetcars will link people to Canal St. There's an excellent grocery store (insane props to Donny Rouse for taking that risk).

I do think the streets should be reconfigured before new development eats up the land. Loyola is too wide and has a poor connection to Simon Bolivar. Rampart and O'Keefe are also high-speed drag strips. Let's get some bike lanes, some curb bumpouts and street trees, etc.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 2:32 PM

Aerial

Aerial Photos of various sites (many development related) around NOLA this week from the TP:

http://photos.nola.com/tpphotos/2012...floodgate.html

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 9:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Bad news. 2-3 years until we see construction, at least.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...vacant_as.html
The main reason for this is the building doesnt qualify til 2015 I think for historic tax credits. That is when the building turns old enough!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
The main reason for this is the building doesnt qualify til 2015 I think for historic tax credits. That is when the building turns old enough!
Quality planning takes a long time.......working out all the possibilities of transforming the Plaza Tower into something desireable may need the extra 2 years. I hope 2 years from now the project isn't still dead in the water or up for a proposed demolition. It's frustrating to see so many projects boldly announced and then fall through. Subjective as it is, I never saw a proposal for the exterior re-design that is attractive as the original. Maybe it's best to maintain the original Iconic cladding.....

Last edited by NOLAforME; Oct 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 1:06 PM

Bywater neighborhood meeting about Wiltz Gym

Neighborland is hosting a meeting at the Wiltz Gym at 3041 North Rampart from 6pm to 8pm for residents to discuss the future of the historic property tonight.

The Historic Wiltz Gymnasium was built in 1916 by the New Orleans School Board. The 96-year old building has been sitting blighted and on the market since it was sold at auction in 2010.

New developers believe the Wiltz can be restored and again be put in service of the neighborhood, and knowing what businesses and services the neighborhood wants will help them find successful tenants for the building. Currently, the building is zoned residential (RD-3), but they believe the building is best suited for neighborhood business (B1-A).

Should be interesting...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 3:04 PM

Southern Food & Beverage Museum gives notice

http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2..._river_default

Quote:
Food and cocktail museums have given notice at Riverwalk Marketplace

The Southern Food and Beverage Museum and the Museum of the American Cocktail inside of it have given notice that they are moving out of Riverwalk Marketplace, which is being turned into an upscale outlet mall. A few months ago, SoFAB announced its new location on O.C. Haley Blvd.

The Museum of the American Cocktail is moving there, as well.....

- TP

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 3:10 PM

2 Updates from my commute..

1. Hibernia Building - They've drilled the test static piles for the garage structure on Union Street. The crane, etc is still there. Could be that it was such a pain to get it in that tiny space that they're just going to leave it til they're ready to do the rest.

2. Drury Inn - Appears they've finally finished all the foundation work and are now going vertical. Today was the first day that the rebar was sticking up above the construction fence!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
1. Hibernia Building - They've drilled the test static piles for the garage structure on Union Street. The crane, etc is still there. Could be that it was such a pain to get it in that tiny space that they're just going to leave it til they're ready to do the rest.
Are they building a new garage to be connected to the apartment building?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Are they building a new garage to be connected to the apartment building?
Yes, that back parking lot on Union between Carondelet and Baronne, french quarter side of the street (directly behind the hibernia building itself).

Googlemap: http://goo.gl/maps/koXxt

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 5:51 PM

Update #3

On my way back from lunch i saw they've started bringing in soil for the new forensic center / labs/ morgue / etc over at Earhart & Claiborne.....finaaally

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 6:00 PM
-

Quote:
On my way back from lunch i saw they've started bringing in soil for the new forensic center / labs/ morgue / etc over at Earhart & Claiborne.....finaaally
Glad to see that finally moving forward.

JenCare Neighborhood Medical Centers to Open Four Locations in New Orleans Market

CityBusiness reports that JenCare Neighborhood Medical Centers, which delivers healthcare to seniors and chronically ill patients, will open four locations in the greater New Orleans market, including locations in Gretna and Kenner set to open this month.

The company opened its first facility in the region at 1918 Williams Blvd., in Kenner on Thursday and will open a second location at 501 Lapalco Blvd., Gretna, on Wednesday. JenCare is still looking to locate two additional practices, including a center in Metairie.

http://gnorealestatenews.com/

Walk-On's Bistreaux & Bar was selected the Best Sports Bar in North America in the third annual contest by ESPN Mobile on Friday. The CBD sports bar/restaurant was the only local restaurant in the competition, beating out finalists from Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Austin and Atlanta, picked from more than 5,000 nominations. Walk-Ons was chosen winner based on fan voting and "an editorial panel review." [Nola.com]

FAUBOURG ST. JOHN—The nonprofit cultural club behind Oktoberfest acquired the title for formerly state-owned land on Moss Street last month. Club president Keith Oldendorf tells Ian McNulty it "signals the start of a capital campaign to build a new Deutsches Haus and Oktoberfest grounds" in Bayou St. John. This year's Oktoberfest in Kenner will raise funds for that project. Prost! [Gambit]

FAUBOURG MARIGNY— Fatoush, The Meditterranean Grill/Coffee House in the Healing Center now has a Belly Dancing Brunch on Sundays from 11am-2pm and a brunch menu featuring normalish brunch fare and something called "lasagna cupcakes." It's okay the cupcakes are made of puff pastry. [EaterWire]

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 8:03 PM

Apparently, an investor is planning on creating a low-cost regional airline hub with flights to every major city in Louisiana. This sounds pretty awesome.

http://www.businessreport.com/articl...daily-reportAM

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 8:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Apparently, an investor is planning on creating a low-cost regional airline hub with flights to every major city in Louisiana. This sounds pretty awesome.

http://www.businessreport.com/articl...daily-reportAM
I remember hearing rumors about this and frontier airlines being involved. Interesting concept...

Ruffino's Condominiums
New Construction
Site Work Multi-Residential Design
Sector Est. Start Date
Private Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Estimated Value*
$900,000.00
Address
625-631 St. Philip St.
New Orleans, LA 70113
Orleans County
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Region

Description Site work and new construction of a residential development in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of a five-unit, four-story, 7,213-square-foot condominium development on an existing parking lot.

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Ruffino's Condominiums
New Construction
Site Work Multi-Residential Design
Sector Est. Start Date
Private Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Estimated Value*
$900,000.00
Address
625-631 St. Philip St.
New Orleans, LA 70113
Orleans County
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Region

Description Site work and new construction of a residential development in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of a five-unit, four-story, 7,213-square-foot condominium development on an existing parking lot.
Does anyone know what this is? I'm not seeing a parking lot to be developed in that block. Thoughts?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Does anyone know what this is? I'm not seeing a parking lot to be developed in that block. Thoughts?
I looked at streetview and its a REALLY small lot. It has an entrance that says Ruffino's on it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I looked at streetview and its a REALLY small lot. It has an entrance that says Ruffino's on it.
That could be it...makes sense since that was Ruffinos...there is a parking lot that is more open to St Phillip across the street. Not sure if they intend to build on the back parking lot of Flanagan's or the one across the street:

Also, while walking down Baronne this morning I saw they are now rebuilding the burnt-out EZ Serve at Baronne and Gravier. Big open front room so hopefully another restaurant!

Sorry...my hand wasn't steady..oh well

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 4:41 PM

Quote:
That could be it...makes sense since that was Ruffinos...there is a parking lot that is more open to St Phillip across the street. Not sure if they intend to build on the back parking lot of Flanagan's or the one across the street:

It has to be the space behind Flanagan's - the odd number addresses are on that side of the street.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 7:34 PM
-

McClure’s Barbecue Opening Across the Street from Le Bon TempsPosted on October 10, 2012 by gnorealestatenews
NOLA Eater reports that pop-up favorite McClure’s Barbecue is moving into a permanent spot at Magazine and Bordeaux. Earlier, Eater reported that McClure’s was opening his restaurant at 1510 Carondelet, but it now looks like the new restaurant will be located across the street from Le Bon Temps.

McClure’s will be joining Saucy’s BBQ, which opened this summer, Uptown on Magazine Street.

http://gnorealestatenews.com/

School Board Puts Surplus Properties up for Auction
Posted on October 10, 2012 by gnorealestatenews
On Thursday, November 8th, 2012, the Orleans Parish School Board (OPSB) will hold a public auction of its surplus properties at 3520 General de Gaulle, the Orleans Parish School Board Office in Algiers

There will be 7 properties listed in the auction including former school buildings and empty lots:

Address Property Description Value
3601 Camp St New Orleans Free School (historic building) $1,410,000
800 N. Rendon St Morris X.F. Jeff School (historic building) $780,000
3821 Franklin Ave Pierre Capdau School (historic building) $720,000
801 Patterson Dr Algiers Bus Barn $625,000
3500-3510 General de Gaulle Dr Timbers I & II $2,575,000
8258 Lake Forest Blvd Lake Forest Montessori Site (vacant parcel) $124,500
2717 Athis St Seabrook (vacant parcel) $71,500

Before the auction, the OPSB will offer public showings of the following properties:

3601 Camp St: October 12, 10 AM-12 PM and October 17, 12-2 PM
3821 Franklin Ave: October 15, 12-2 PM and October 23, 10 AM-12 PM
800 N. Rendon St: October 12, 10 AM-12 PM and October 23, 10 AM-12 PM
3500-3510 General de Gaulle Dr: October 15, 12-2 PM and October 25, 12-2 PM
801 Patterson Dr: October 17, 12-2 PM and October 25, 12-2 PM

For more information, visit the Latter & Blum description of the auction HERE.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations