HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The most abhorrent part of the whole thing (aside from the prices) is the "whiskey bar" that takes itself so seriously but has wood-print vinyl flooring and and fake wood accents that makes it feel like a McDonalds Play Place for sad adults.

I've heard a lot of similarly bad reviews... but I have to say, I went there once and didn't mind the meal nor the price point that it was served at (considering that you do pay a bit of a premium for the view). I mean, I haven't been back so I guess that speaks for itself, but I certainly didn't feel cheated. I thought the menu was interesting too.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's very true. It's definitely a once-in-a-lifetime type meal. Really cool space to see and experience, but then never go back. It's going to follow the exact same path as the Royal Crown unfortunately.

The most abhorrent part of the whole thing (aside from the prices) is the "whiskey bar" that takes itself so seriously but has wood-print vinyl flooring and and fake wood accents that makes it feel like a McDonalds Play Place for sad adults.
That's extremely funny. Well done.

I really enjoyed Caranval and have had positive experiences at Hermano's. I typically enjoy FB Hospitality properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

I've heard a lot of similarly bad reviews... but I have to say, I went there once and didn't mind the meal nor the price point that it was served at (considering that you do pay a bit of a premium for the view). I mean, I haven't been back so I guess that speaks for itself, but I certainly didn't feel cheated. I thought the menu was interesting too.
There used to be a poike, and a few interesting items. Now it's pan fried pickerel with a can of Campbell's mushroom soup on top, piled on a 2-3 day old rice pilaf. Their steaks, which start at $42, are easily bested by Montana's at half of the price. And, if you don't care for your steak at Montana's, you have the option of writing your thoughts and feelings in crayon all around your plate. An option that would be quite satisfying at Prairie 360, but is conspicuously absent. (I really enjoy Montana's, for the record)

I do agree though, that the view does factor into the price, and it is pretty awesome.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:38 AM

^ Ah yes, the poike... that's what I had there. It caught my eye because I had never tried it before. It wasn't bad.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 6:55 PM

https://twitter.com/chosabi100king

Chosabi, offering sushi, sushi burritos, banh mi and other options is now open at 100 King.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 7:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:

I have been twice (not for over a year now though) and both times everyone enjoyed their meals?

Maybe it's declined in the past year.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 8:24 PM

Got around to doing Blind Tiger finally, and was kinda disappointed.

Price point seemed ok for the amount of mussels I got, but my gf got like 5 small ravioloris in her confit order. However, no kitchen should be putting out some of the mussels they did. Some were not edible.

Not sure if the concept will get old quickly or not. Had heard though from other sin the industry there was a decent drop in staff as demand wasnt as high as originally thought. Growing pains of a new restaurant?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 3:07 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerx View Post
https://twitter.com/chosabi100king

Chosabi, offering sushi, sushi burritos, banh mi and other options is now open at 100 King.
I was excited about Bahn Mi in the exchange... until I saw what they were charging.

$8-12 for a Vietnamese sub is ridiculous. Most places sell them for $4-5 depending on the toppings.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 5:16 PM

$8.50 for a Banh Mi?? I give this place a few months before its done...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 7:43 PM

$2.99 at Pho No.1

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 8:00 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
$2.99 at Pho No.1
location location location

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 7:59 PM

Just noticed last weekend the Quiznos by Ferry St is closed. That was one of the first ones I remember being in the city.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Just noticed last weekend the Quiznos by Ferry St is closed. That was one of the first ones I remember being in the city.
it's been for sale (as well as many others) for a long time

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
it's been for sale (as well as many others) for a long time
the st b hotel is up for sale again I hear. the current owner only kept it long enough to evict one of my favourite restaurants, the purple hibiscus.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
the st b hotel is up for sale again I hear. the current owner only kept it long enough to evict one of my favourite restaurants, the purple hibiscus.
It is for sale. Here is the listing. http://www.alchopra.com/properties.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 5:13 AM

Tried Chosabi for the first time today, I liked it. Decor was nice, food was very good. I had a sushi burrito and I was impressed. Very fresh-tasting.

That said, pricing is a bit on the high side. The burrito itself was $14, throw in a drink + taxes and you're at nearly $20 for what basically amounts to a fancy fast food lunch. Of course, restaurants in the Exchange tend to compete on trendiness and not on price.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 2:43 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
That said, pricing is a bit on the high side. The burrito itself was $14, throw in a drink + taxes and you're at nearly $20 for what basically amounts to a fancy fast food lunch. Of course, restaurants in the Exchange tend to compete on trendiness and not on price.
I laughed when I saw their Bahn Mi (vietnamese subs) priced between $8-12.

I get mine every Friday from Khanh Hoa on Sargent for $5 and they are fresh and awesome.

When I was living in Calgary you could get subs between $2.50 and $3.50 depending on what was in them.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 3:07 PM

I know its not a new restaurant, but went to Bistro Dansk for the first time last night. Cant remember the last time I needed to take home food, but I only finished half of my chicken schnitzel order. Very generous portions even at $22. Would go again!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 3:35 PM

Wasn't sure where to post this, but staff at Tim Horton's in MTS Centre told me this morning that today is their last day. They'll only be open for events from here on.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Wasn't sure where to post this, but staff at Tim Horton's in MTS Centre told me this morning that today is their last day. They'll only be open for events from here on.
That isn't too surprising with the CityPlace food court Tim's opening.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 4:45 PM

I wonder if the MTS Centre Tims closure was at the request of True North. It would make their operations easier to not be having foot traffic to the Tims outside of events.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan