HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:46 PM

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...83b70ead1.html

Also read that there is a possible 6th phase to SMD, to be decided later this year. Didn't realize that this was possibly in the works

“The Odeon is the tallest building constructed in New Orleans in over 30 years,” said Matt Schwartz, principal of the Domain Companies. “This speaks volumes about the momentum in New Orleans today and how our city continues to grow and evolve. We’re proud to add The Odeon to a growing list of investments that are building a vibrant and culturally rich downtown and attracting new residents, employers, and visitors.”

Construction is expected to be finished by late 2020.

A final decision about the sixth and final phase of the South Market District development is expected to be announced later this year.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post

Also read that there is a possible 6th phase to SMD, to be decided later this year. Didn't realize that this was possibly in the works

A final decision about the sixth and final phase of the South Market District development is expected to be announced later this year.
[/I]
Well the Odeon only takes up half the block, so we always knew something else was planned. I just don't know what specifically. Apartments or condos seems like the natural choice, but I wouldn't be surprised by a hotel tower given how much demand there seems to be for that and how it's right next to the UPT and a streetcar stop.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 1:40 AM

Took some photos of the Residence Inn on St. Charles today!!

https://postimg.cc/image/qwhwhx3o7/

https://postimg.cc/image/d2tjsw5xz/

Don't know why the pictures are posting so small. :/

Last edited by noahb; Jul 7, 2018 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 2:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post

“The Odeon is the tallest building constructed in New Orleans in over 30 years,” said Matt Schwartz, principal of the Domain Companies. “This speaks volumes about the momentum in New Orleans today and how our city continues to grow and evolve. We’re proud to add The Odeon to a growing list of investments that are building a vibrant and culturally rich downtown and attracting new residents, employers, and visitors.”

Construction is expected to be finished by late 2020.

I thought Domain purchased that building at the corner of julia and carondelet... wonder if they have anything planned there ? Given its location it cant be of the size that the rest of their stuff is but i certainly dont see domain stopping at the building after the odeon but i also dont. Know where else they can go ? Raw land is so pricey these days.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:26 PM

Odeon

So have they finally revealed the height of that building? I'm hoping at least 350'. Has anyone been able to find the drawings online?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschin2 View Post
So have they finally revealed the height of that building? I'm hoping at least 350'. Has anyone been able to find the drawings online?
i posted them awhile back on here

btw crazy amount of cranes in the camera view today lol

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 6:26 PM
-

top of mechanical looks to be around 345-350 tops so slightly taller than harrahs hotel. so should be around the 18th tallest in city when completed and tallest building built since 1988's Benson Tower .

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
top of mechanical looks to be around 345-350 tops so slightly taller than harrahs hotel. so should be around the 18th tallest in city when completed and tallest building built since 1988's Benson Tower .

Is this Odeon?

I also love, love, love the front and side elevations for 32Hundred. I was originally hoping that The Paramount would take a more similar approach. I don’t know how I feel about the side facing the river.

Oh yeah, I missed the memo that IHOP was going in on S. Carrollton. While I’m glad that the building won’t be vacant I can’t be the only one disappointed that it’ll be IHOP.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 9:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Is this Odeon?

I also love, love, love the front and side elevations for 32Hundred. I was originally hoping that The Paramount would take a more similar approach. I don’t know how I feel about the side facing the river.

Oh yeah, I missed the memo that IHOP was going in on S. Carrollton. While I’m glad that the building won’t be vacant I can’t be the only one disappointed that it’ll be IHOP.
yes this is odeon.. its a structural drawing so those arent always that pretty to look at but its gives you a bare bones idea of whats being built!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:50 PM

Thanks for sharing! What address do you look up to find in on OneStop?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:46 PM
-

Quote:
Dont remember exactly it either girod or rampart i know that

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:34 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
It's 1100 Girod

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 10:50 PM

Tesla Coming to Tchoup

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:32 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia View Post
Good timing for me!

BTW looks like the new garage at the airport has started.. pile driver out there

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:42 PM
TL;DR

That garage podium... yikes. Totally awful. Don't let that kind of cancer spread from Chicago to New Orleans.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
That garage podium... yikes. Totally awful. Don't let that kind of cancer spread from Chicago to New Orleans.
No doubt it's a suburban style high-rise. I am disappointed with the massing of the building, but have been scared to express my opinion on this forum...

Domain Companies has been sharing the bulk of the design work between Humpherys and EDR. I'm anticipating the final building will be designed by EDR and hoping the design/massing is more appropriate. Would be a welcomed addition traveling into downtown up Loyola Ave.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
No doubt it's a suburban style high-rise. I am disappointed with the massing of the building, but have been scared to express my opinion on this forum...

Domain Companies has been sharing the bulk of the design work between Humpherys and EDR. I'm anticipating the final building will be designed by EDR and hoping the design/massing is more appropriate. Would be a welcomed addition traveling into downtown up Loyola Ave.
I agree the massing isn't ideal, but it's hardly a surprise. I don't think the city has progressed far enough to make garage-less buildings feasible just yet (especially at the higher end of the market). I prefer a taller tower with a podium over a shorter squat design. I'm not really sure how you could improve on the massing given the need for parking.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 1:12 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I agree the massing isn't ideal, but it's hardly a surprise. I don't think the city has progressed far enough to make garage-less buildings feasible just yet (especially at the higher end of the market). I prefer a taller tower with a podium over a shorter squat design. I'm not really sure how you could improve on the massing given the need for parking.
The same way many other residential buildings hid the parking... you wrap the sides of the garage with apartments. One developer in Chicago even split the "liner" out into a separate project that was a little more artsy and exclusive than the enormous highrise behind it (there is a connection through the party wall so residents of the smaller building can access the garage).

New Orleans really needs to insist on this kind of design if more highrises continue to go up, and stop worrying so much about compatible paint colors and railing designs If there's still a huge ugly garage at the bottom of the building, that's literally just lipstick on a pig.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:31 PM

I can live with the current massing along that section of Loyola, it transitions from Central City to the suburban Houston style high-rises along Poydras.

I pray when the lots between Poydras and Gravier are eventually developed, more urban massings are used to transition into the CBD historic core.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 7:14 PM

Dhemecourt St. 3125; S. Lopez St. 501-503; S. Lopez St. 505; S. Lopez St. 511-513; S. Lopez St. 515-517; S. Lopez St. 520-522 $1,400,000, 2927 Conti Street Realty LLC to 700 St. Joseph Lane LLC.

This was in The New Orleans Advocate. Any idea what it could be?!?! I am REALLY hoping for mixed-use. Also, any updates on the site right next to JAX Brewery on Tulane? A few months back there were renderings of either apartments or a hotel.

The hotel near Tulane and Carrollton also just sold recently.
It's awesome watching Tulane Ave transform!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations