HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 3:31 PM

Talking

But it's not copying, it's evolved precedent. The never ending quest for novelty has ruined architecture and many cities.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 4:13 PM

That crappy looking parking garage at State & Kinzie (across the street from the former IBM Building) is getting some sort of 1st floor restaurant. Owner's name is the same as one of the guys behind Bernie's Lunch & Supper. It's not a super rare name though so who knows. It will be good if it's taking up space right now that's just a blank wall along the street.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
July 18, 2018

Glad they are repurposing the old building but a country themed TexMex place sounds terrible.

I'm not sure which is worse. But the combination of the two?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 5:18 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That crappy looking parking garage at State & Kinzie (across the street from the former IBM Building) is getting some sort of 1st floor restaurant. Owner's name is the same as one of the guys behind Bernie's Lunch & Supper. It's not a super rare name though so who knows. It will be good if it's taking up space right now that's just a blank wall along the street.
Looks like the owner of that garage finally came to realize that there's a city around it.

We need to see more of this, as well as some sidewalk widening in many parts of River North. River North is no longer a neighborhood. It's downtown. It's basically another offshoot of the Loop

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 5:28 PM

Illume turned out fantastic. Perfectly proportioned and a great addition to the West Loop.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Illume turned out fantastic. Perfectly proportioned and a great addition to the West Loop.
Agree. I think this one turned out nicely. It’s visually interesting to look at vs the bland flat glass boxes we see typically.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Illume turned out nice.

Probably pisses off the neighbors who bought condos in that POS next door. Not only did Illume block their views, but it’s a 100 times more attractive and higher quality building.
I agree that Illume turned out great, certainly a lot better than it's renderings, but that base is brutal as usual. Arent all these West Loop midrises great? Nothing screams "street life" like a concave concrete vacuum cleaner sucking up and spitting out cars and a few people taking their dog out to shit twice a day... Again though, I can see how this building is perfectly designed to drive off any and all pedestrians forcing them all up to Randolph and Fulton where they don't feel like they are in some sort of dystopian novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Pssshhh, get off your ivory tower. TexMex is delicious. Country themed however sounds tacky as fuck and doesn't make sense in a city like Chicago with zero country culture or history
Uh no dude, you forget that Chicago literally was the "West" at one time and that originally the cattle for the Union stockyards were driven in off the prairie by cowboys before the railroads started building further west. Chicago, if anything, is THE prototypical Western frontier boomtown. Started as a freaking fur trading Post and then a Fort for Pete's sake! It may have gone metropolitan, but for the first 75 years of it's existence Chicago was literally a wild west pseudo lawless boomtown.

MidWEST, NorthWESTERN University, etc, this entire area used to be the end of the line and Illinois used to be the far Western border of the US before the Louisiana purchase. The area saw it's most significant settlement during the peak of the wild west era from 1830-1900. Remember that everything from the East came to Chicago first before fanning out in all directions across the plains. Everything from the plains and mountain west was gathered up and consolidated in Chicago before it was sent back East. St Louis might have the gateway arch, but Chicago was the true pinch point, everything started and ended here. Chicago enabled and exists because of the great settlement of the West, it was the "great funnel of the West" consolidating all the wealth of the West and shipping it back East.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Glad they are repurposing the old building but a country themed TexMex place sounds terrible.

I'm not sure which is worse. But the combination of the two?
I think you need to start to realize that the West loop is no longer cool, and its a tourist trap now (thank instagram and eater) so why not pander to people that come from down south, and who doesn't love a good tex mex place pink taco and el hefe in river north is just awful, overpriced food and the place is packed all the time, so It should work in the west loop as well

Also country music is pretty big here in Chicago, us99 gets ratings similar to the rest of the stations in town and considering Chicago's demographics that's pretty impressive IMO

Last edited by Near North Resident; Jul 25, 2018 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 3:31 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Looks like the owner of that garage finally came to realize that there's a city around it.

We need to see more of this, as well as some sidewalk widening in many parts of River North. River North is no longer a neighborhood. It's downtown. It's basically another offshoot of the Loop
This will be a second Chicago location for Memphis-based Gus' Fried Chicken. The first one is on Fulton Market, pretty tasty.

Good to see them adding retail space to the west end of that garage, hopefully they don't butcher the architecture too badly. The east side has had a (clumsy-looking) Dunkin Donuts and a newsstand for years. It's understandable they built the garage as a fortress, the River North entertainment district was a notorious skid row area at the time until Friedman got his hands on it.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 2:24 AM

Facebook just signed a big lease at 151 N Franklin

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2018...at-cna-center/

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 1:58 PM
Plenary pleasures.

*** MODERATOR NOTE ***

The whole Tex/Mex, Chicago Country Music, Bluegrass/Butt-grass discussion has been moved to 'CHICAGO General Discussions WHERE IT BELONGS. Please be mindful of where you are posting, we've all been forum members for long enough to (hopefully) understand this. Final warning

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 2:52 PM

i get it, but i think its inevitable side-discussions will arise when talking all day around the uses behind new buildings, hence why this always happens, and its not always easy to jump immediately to a new thread the exact second a tangent occurs. not everyone is even aware of the other thread, which is buried in a subforum of a subforum.

is it not OK to discuss the potential viability of a project like Lincoln Yards and the types of programming they intend to implement? or with a place like the Uptown Theater? if its a public message board, opinions are inevitably going to be a part of the mix, unless this is just intended to be pictures of rebar and caissons. it can be confusing, and some things slide while other very similar things dont. i understand no one wants this to become a dining/social life/political thread. fwiw i dont see any guidelines, maybe it would be helpful to be explicit about what is/isnt allowed, or create a sticky with generally accepted rules? its hard to follow them when theyre not listed and at the discretion of the moderators mood (and new posters do come all the time, so not everyone is aware of whats "unwritten").

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jul 24, 2018 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 3:57 PM
Plenary pleasures.

All we're asking is for people to use common sense and just TRY to post in the correct locations so that threads are not clogged up with irrelevant and oftentimes pointless tangents, that are not at all related to development, either high-rise, low-rise and everything in between. Is it really that difficult, Via? And come on, you know very well what the difference is between talking about programming within a building project and off-topic, irrelevant issues unrelated to project development.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 4:24 PM

all i said is maybe it would be helpful to actually have rules and guidelines if we are going to enforce rules? i dont think thats unreasonable either. the person who posted about Kumas has 8 posts here...im guessing he wasnt aware of the unwritten law of the land, and most forums across the internet are not as militant about "on topic" discussions as this one, so i dont think it would hurt to have something for people to refer to. again, i seriously seriously doubt 90% of the people who come here are even aware theres a sub-subforum for "general" chicago talk. which is mostly just a collection of incomprehensible off-topic orphaned posts from other threads..and then theres an even more separate thread thats "only" for Chicago Economic talk. i think you can understand why this gets messy. i dont think anyone here intentionally derails threads, it happens because an interesting topic comes up from a strand of another, likely on topic conversation and people are legitimately enjoying the back and forth, and it happens because this is by far the most active Chicago thread on the entire board.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jul 24, 2018 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 4:33 PM

From Globe Street's CRE Professionals See A Glass Half-Full In 2018 article by Brian Rogal:

And please note that this image doesn't say that Chicago has a 56.6% chance of winning Amazon's HQ2 (as a quick glance suggests), but that slightly over half of respondents believe that winning HQ2 would be better for Chicago's economy than organic growth.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 4:38 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
all i said is maybe it would be helpful to actually have rules and guidelines if we are going to enforce rules? i dont think thats unreasonable either. the person who posted about Kumas has 8 posts here...im guessing he wasnt aware of the unwritten law of the land, and most forums across the internet are not as militant about "on topic" discussions as this one, so i dont think it would hurt to have something for people to refer to. again, i seriously seriously doubt 90% of the people who come here are even aware theres a sub-subforum for "general" chicago talk. which is mostly just a collection of incomprehensible off-topic orphaned posts from other threads..and then theres an even more separate thread one thats "only" for Chicago Economic talk. i think you can understand why this gets messy.
Frankly, things 'get messy' because people forget or don't really care where they post things, not because the forum rules are unclear. That being said, for any forum members that need help understanding how things work, here is a link for FAQ:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq

Additionally, if you scroll to the very bottom of the front page, the forum rules are right there, which are very few and simple to understand:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php

Via, you are creating a situation where there isn't one, only to you, for whatever reason.

As I mentioned previously, people just need to use common sense in where and what they post, this is not difficult. Anyone can feel free to PM me if they cannot understand this concept.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Frankly, things 'get messy' because people forget or don't really care where they post things, not because the forum rules are unclear. That being said, for any forum members that need help understanding how things work, here is a link for FAQ:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq

Additionally, if you scroll to the very bottom of the front page, the forum rules are right there, which are very few and simple to understand:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php

Via, you are creating a situation where there isn't one, only to you, for whatever reason.
literally none of those links remotely address anything youre talking about right now. but fine im the bad guy for making a helpful suggestion. carry on.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 4:45 PM
Plenary pleasures.

We are just trying to keep things organized and minimize confusion as it relates to discussions that are not development-related. What more additional rules do you need, Via? Common sense is common sense, I don't know how else to make this more clear to you. No one singled you out for this, you singled yourself out for no reason other than to take a contrarian position for something that is frankly, unwarranted. Just follow the rules, it's not advanced calculus.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 5:16 PM

It looks like we may be getting a Standard Hotel in the near future:

Quote:
Sansiri, the Thai real estate company that took a stake in Tyler Brûlé’s Monocle media group last year, is looking at building Monocle-branded residences in Japan, Switzerland and Portugal if its flagship condo in Bangkok goes according to plan.

Srettha Thavisin, Sansiri’s president, also said the group will move ahead with up to six new hotels run by its recently acquired Standard brand this year in Milan, London, Bangkok, Chicago and the Thai beach resorts of Phuket and Hua Hin. 

Eventually, he said, the boutique hotel chain — best known for its flagship hotel that straddles New York’s High Line — would be running 20 to 30 Standard hotels within three years.
Source: https://www.ft.com/content/c051e1dc-...e-8771d5404543

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:07 PM

168 N Michigan

July 18

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development