HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 3:09 PM

The design of buildings in most cities around the world is a hash of tradition, cost, culture and politics. When there is a “tradition” of design and support of architects, then you get a city with lots of “notable” buildings (Chicago is a good example of this). When cost dominates then you get a sea of uneventful, largely identical buildings (NYC, particularly the upper eastside). When culture dominates you often get a sea of similar, but aesthetically pleasing structures (middle Paris or Brussels, perhaps Boston in the US). When politics dominate you often find a sea of large Roman and classic Greek inspired structures (D.C. and Vienna). IMO Atlanta is a mishmash of these characteristics, but without dominance of any one of them. The intersection of 14th. and West Peachtree is a good example of a real hash.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSangha View Post
Midtown.com has it listed as under construction, but I don’t think that’s the case and I don’t recall hearing it’s status in the permitting process, so it remains an open question.
Accela still shows it as under review with but only the 'Water Services Review' still needing approval. I am assuming that the Midtown Alliance shows it as under construction because the Land development permit is essentially approved.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:42 AM

Atlanta Planning Commissioner Is on a Mission to Stop Ugly Buildings

Here's another article on the new design initiative that addresses some of the discussion here. The bolded comment is interesting. I don't know of a 30-story proposal in downtown so it could be a new project.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...g-construction
Quote:
Keane’s commission is ready to get more involved in improving the quality of design. Ignoring this would only stifle the growth of the city, he argues. “People need to understand that Atlanta is growing, the city will get denser, and if we don’t design the buildings well, in that urban context, then our growth will be thwarted. We can’t just let buildings get built that when people see them they’ll be discouraged, if not appalled.”

“It’s not as much about a building type or a style,” he says. “We’re not telling people, ‘That’s what you have to do.’ We’re going to evaluate your design based on the basics of architecture in an urban setting. Honestly, we’re focused on the buildings that are of the poorest design. I met with a developer yesterday who’s doing a really nice job on a 30-story building downtown. And we’re not going to get involved in that or stand in his way; we don’t need to spend our time on that. We need to get involved with buildings and proposals that aren’t doing the basics right.”

When asked just what elements of design he and the commission are referring to when threatening to hold up projects, there are definite examples the commission points to. “There’s a category that I think Atlanta has done poorly: The base of buildings, where the building meets the street, and the other thing is the appearance of these buildings from a distance,” Keane says. “I think those are areas where Atlanta has to do better.”

The reality is, the city can’t impose strict design standards from a legal perspective. Even if it did, it would mean developers would have to challenge the city to court, which costs more time and money than anyone would like to spend, particularly when the alternative would yield a better result anyway. It’s for this reason that most developers have begun working with the city to adjust designs accordingly and refrain from what Keane calls “Mr. Potatohead” buildings, where a handful of aesthetic features are attached to the façade of a building to hopefully slide past the new design-quality guidelines.

Keane’s vision, though, isn’t one of higher taste in design or style; it’s pragmatism in city planning brought to the drafting table. His plan is based on the idea that a better-looking, better-designed city will make Atlanta a more effective one for its residents—and a better realm to live in. For the good of Atlanta’s future as a bustling, growing city, Keane’s vision could keep Atlanta from facing any number of issues as the city continues to grow.
And a closer look at the Element Hotel at 445 Marietta Street.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Here's another article on the new design initiative that addresses some of the discussion here. The bolded comment is interesting. I don't know of a 30-story proposal in downtown so it could be a new project.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...g-construction

And a closer look at the Element Hotel at 445 Marietta Street.

Is the Element hotel at 445 Marietta currently under construction?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 2:45 PM

Is it the student tower?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
Is it the student tower?
445 Marietta is north of Ivan Allen near the aquarium where a number of similar mid-range hotels have been/are being built recently.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
445 Marietta is north of Ivan Allen near the aquarium where a number of similar mid-range hotels have been/are being built recently.
Sorry, I was referencing the 30 story tower Keane mentioned. Is it possible he was talking about that project, instead of hinting toward a new tower.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
Sorry, I was referencing the 30 story tower Keane mentioned. Is it possible he was talking about that project, instead of hinting toward a new tower.
Assuming you mean the 699 Spring Street proposal, I wouldn't think that Keane would refer to that location as downtown but its possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Is the Element hotel at 445 Marietta currently under construction?
This is not under construction.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 9:12 PM

I’m sure Sura is referring to The Mix on Piedmont. It’s turning out to be a nice tower, but that was planned and permitted over 12 months ago. Hopefully Keane is referencing another tower about to enter the review/permitting phase.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 9:13 PM

I think Element is under construction too.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
I’m sure Sura is referring to The Mix on Piedmont. It’s turning out to be a nice tower, but that was planned and permitted over 12 months ago. Hopefully Keane is referencing another tower about to enter the review/permitting phase.
He's definitely speaking of a project that is still in the design and permitting process. Its not possible for him to delay a project that is already topped out.

Quote:
I think Element is under construction too.
Ok great.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
He's definitely speaking of a project that is still in the design and permitting process. Its not possible for him to delay a project that is already topped out.
Correct. I went and looked at the latest picture and realized he couldn't be talking about a tower that's already out of the ground. Hopefully we get more news on this tower soon. I'm excited for Downtown to get some action.

EDIT: I was writing about this:

Quote:

Last edited by Sura; Jan 14, 2019 at 10:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 11:06 PM

37-unit condo project planned on Beltline’s Eastside Trail

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

Quote:
A 37-unit condo building is planned in Virginia-Highland along the Atlanta Beltline.

Architecture firm Square Feet Studio submitted a rezoning request for the project at 675 Drewry Street. It would take the site of a low-rise warehouse that currently houses studio space and would sit across the Beltline trail from the Home Depot store at the Midtown Place shopping center.

The project would build a 55,000-square-foot condo with five-and-a-half floors of residential over two levels of parking. The units would be listed for around $700,000, according to the rezoning application. It’s estimated to be complete in January 2021.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
The units would be listed for around $700,000,
Wowweee that asking point.

The BeltLine needs a handful multi-hundred unit condo projects to come anywhere close to demand.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Wowweee that asking point.

The BeltLine needs a handful multi-hundred unit condo projects to come anywhere close to demand.
That site is pretty large. I think there is more room on that warehouse lot for more projects.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
That site is pretty large. I think there is more room on that warehouse lot for more projects.
Yeah the warehouse to the north of the street and the Georgia Power site(s) have a lot of room for future development. This project and this site is rather small, however.

Virginia Highland needs some new blood.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 3:23 AM

Just drove by Element site after gym. I was wrong. It is not under construction yet.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
This could be said about most of Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:32 PM

Forty-One Marietta street

Another possible office to residential conversion in downtown.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/1/16...tment-building

The construction plans
http://www.wintercompanies.com/subco...CD10.30.18.pdf

Rendering

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jan 16, 2019 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 PM

18-story luxury senior housing tower proposed in Buckhead

https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2...d-in-buckhead/
Quote:
An 18-story luxury senior housing tower is proposed for a Buckhead site across Peachtree Road from the Shepherd Center. The plan, which also involves renovating an existing 10-story medical office tower on the site, joins a boom in Buckhead-area senior residential projects.

Dubbed “Heartis Buckhead,” the senior housing is proposed by Caddis, a Texas-based real estate firm specializing in healthcare-related properties. The 213-unit, 278,000-square-foot building would stand at 2045 Peachtree at the intersection with Peachtree Valley Road. Caddis aims to open the building in 2021, but is still in the permitting phase, according to a spokesperson.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta