HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:26 PM
R2-D2's army of death

God it looks dull and boring.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
God it looks dull and boring.
A perfect fit for the region.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 12:45 PM

I kind of like it. Nice, clean and simple.

Drove though the area yesterday. The place really feels like a small downtown with a two low-rise office buildings anchoring one end and the mid-rise Federal office tower on the other end, about two dozen condo buildings between roughly 3 to 12 floors, including retail space fronting the main street, the French language Cinema 9, Cégep Félix-Leclaire campus, a large sports complex, the library and performance hall (set to be expanded).

Add to that a Market-esque area proposed to the north and a hotel/convention complex (this proposal has interesting architecture) proposed closer to the Federal offices and Archives Building. I believe the Feds are also planning on building another archives building next door to the current.

The main street was beautifully done by the City with nice paving stones, colourful cross walks, lush, healthy trees all along. And all of this is served by a very large and impressive Rapibus Station.

Honestly, I wish Ottawa could do something like this, and/or Agora in Le Plateau, near O-Train Stations in Orleans, Riverside South (eventually Kanata and Barrhaven). The Centrums are a good start, but build on them.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 5:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

Honestly, I wish Ottawa could do something like this, and/or Agora in Le Plateau, near O-Train Stations in Orleans, Riverside South (eventually Kanata and Barrhaven). The Centrums are a good start, but build on them.
Ottawa (or at least the pre-merger suburbs) did try to create suburban city centres here and there, and two of them were actually sincere (albeit failed) attempts at something similar to La Cité (what this area of Gatineau is known as): Centrepointe in Nepean and Centrum in Orleans. Of these two, Centrum in Orleans is the most successful, but that's still not saying much.

And I don't want to overselll La Cité either. (I live nearby.) It's probably a 6 out of 10 at best, as these things go. Centrum I might rate a 3 or 4.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 6:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I kind of like it. Nice, clean and simple.

Drove though the area yesterday. The place really feels like a small downtown with a two low-rise office buildings anchoring one end and the mid-rise Federal office tower on the other end, about two dozen condo buildings between roughly 3 to 12 floors, including retail space fronting the main street, the French language Cinema 9, Cégep Félix-Leclaire campus, a large sports complex, the library and performance hall (set to be expanded).

Add to that a Market-esque area proposed to the north hem.
As a local resident that's the piece I am really waiting for, though I don't know if I will live to see it.

It seems to me that private investors don't really build that type of thing these days. There used to be renderings on the web of what it might look like, but I can't find any.

We discussed it a bit on this page. In the first image the "market street" is to be built in the green space just above where it says Boulevard de la Gappe. It would nicely complete that whole area.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...A9#post6810029

The new Olympiques arena (southeast) and Rapibus station (due south) are just outside of the shot.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 6:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

and a hotel/convention complex (this proposal has interesting architecture) proposed closer to the Federal offices and Archives Building. .
There is an image in this article that shows what those buildings would look like:

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/g...b0190b12aaf789

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 6:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I believe the Feds are also planning on building another archives building next door to the current.

Yes, that project is a go.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:54 AM
Mooderator

Quote:

I'm holding my breath on Agora. The fact that they have underground parking for the place undermines the whole pedestrian aspect. It smells like Trainyards without the parking lots.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 3:15 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I'm holding my breath on Agora. The fact that they have underground parking for the place undermines the whole pedestrian aspect. It smells like Trainyards without the parking lots.
La Cité is still the best hope in the NCR for this type of thing. Though it is half planning and half dumb luck.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Interesting. I guess I see the underground parking as progress. Currently, the hundreds of condos are surrounded by seas of surface parking lots. Underground ensures a more efficient use of the land.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, that project is a go.
Speaking of which... Not quite as inspiring as the original.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/a...source=dlvr.it

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 7:05 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Interesting. I guess I see the underground parking as progress. Currently, the hundreds of condos are surrounded by seas of surface parking lots. Underground ensures a more efficient use of the land.
It's better than surface lots, don't get me wrong.. but the fact that you still have to drive there to enjoy it seems a bit, I dunno... I can't think of a word. "Meh?"

If that future LRT line ran along Boul. du Plateau it would be a bit different.

I can just see people driving there from all over the city to check it out, compounding the traffic problem that is already going to get worse, at the rate they are expanding the western plateau.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 5:19 PM

Progress on Gatineau's new arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebeker View Post
Le ''nouveau guertin'' prend forme.

Crédit Photo : PATRICK WOODBURY, LE DROIT

Plus de détails sur le site du journal leDroit : https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/g...Gsvd7VKHISE4bs
Waterloowarrior, we have two more threads on the same subject called "Gatineau New Arena" and "New Arena Gatineau" (or something to that effect). Would you be able to merge all three?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 10:03 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Progress on Gatineau's new arena.

Waterloowarrior, we have two more threads on the same subject called "Gatineau New Arena" and "New Arena Gatineau" (or something to that effect). Would you be able to merge all three?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Thanks!

Looking forward to seeing the final product after so many years of debate on this project.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 12:53 PM

VMSO somehow ran out of money because of Covid-19 and now work has been suspended indefinitely on the new Gatineau arena. Gatineau's LeBreton. The curse continues.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 1:49 PM

It's been resolved, but they won't tell us how.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...dins-liquidite

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 1:36 PM

Maybe not resolved? City of Gatineau has evaluating legal options.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/g...91a03d13c06e30

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 1:31 PM

Drove by earlier today... lots of siding... I hope they can create murals or plant a lot of trees to hide all of that siding.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 12:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Have I mentioned on here before that I find odd that there are very large windows on an arena building's south façade (the one along Maloney)?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa