HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 12:11 AM

Does anybody know what happened to the proposed mixed-use project on the north side of 2100 South between 500 and 600 East? There was an article about it in BSL 3 years ago, but nothing has happened on that site since.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/zon...e-development/

Also, does anybody know the current status of the Capitol Motel project?

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/hou...capitol-motel/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:37 PM

Walking home from work I noticed they knocked down two buildings and cleared a parking lot at 327 E and 300 S. I remember seeing plans for a big apartment building in that area, but thought that was shot down. Anyone know what may be going in?

https://imgur.com/iL0BB6x

Here's how it looked before the excavation: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7628...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:41 PM

Oh ya, that's that super long project that the city asked for it to be chopped into two separate buildings.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:46 PM

Found the updated article: https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/com...large-project/

That thing would have been massive!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:35 PM

Utah Theater: State official corrects the record, saying theater could receive tax credits for preservation

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/uta...-preservation/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:53 PM

Give up already. Just let it die. I'd much rather have that stunning tower and urban amenities than the not needed extra theater.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 7:33 PM

I know that this is an emotional issue for some people but for many others, the phrase "out of sight, out of mind" works best here.

There isn't a street presence like other historic structures where there has been a more vocal outcry (Deseret Building). It is this reason over any other for the lack of preservation support.

Many people however see the planned tower and are overly supportive due to the need for additional housing and with it including affordable housing it is that much more attractive.

Overall, I don't think there is enough interest from people to save the theater. If there was more support, the process would never have gotten this far.

In the end, I think we end up with a better building and saving many prominent items from the theater while increasing the number of available housing for multiple income ranges in the center of the City that will only to help spur additional developments.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 8:47 PM

The building on the corner of 300 S and State is getting a new color. Glad to see the beige go away.

https://imgur.com/onv4zVk

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 8:59 PM

A sign has gone up on the site of the Birdie (200 South 200 East), advertising a fall 2020 opening. Looks like work may be starting soon.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:36 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Give up already. Just let it die. I'd much rather have that stunning tower and urban amenities than the not needed extra theater.
Well said Orlando.

As far as the Brighton bank building, knocking it down and starting over is the best choice.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Well said Orlando.

As far as the Brighton bank building, knocking it down and starting over is the best choice.
Agree, I'm hoping it's just a temporary sprucing up. I've always hated that little nondescript piece of garbage stucco on that very visible corner.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 2:48 PM

My understanding is that there are plans to replace the Brighton Bank building with a future residential tower. Nothing is planned in the short term as it is contingent on Kensington Tower (Carl's Jr. site) being completed and filled.

Tentatively the plan is for the tower to at least 450' with the construction time table being dependent on how quickly Kensington Tower fills up.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:01 PM
SLC Lifer

Regent hotel

Just perusing recorder docs and Dakota Pacific obtained title to the Regent St hotel site in January of this year. I would call them a dead serious developer with the ability to go vertical.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Just perusing recorder docs and Dakota Pacific obtained title to the Regent St hotel site in January of this year. I would call them a dead serious developer with the ability to go vertical.
Here is their hotel portfolio...

https://dakotapacific.com/portfolio/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:31 PM

While their portfolio doesn't have much height to it, the Regent Hotel location also may be the smallest location in their portfolio meaning they would have to build taller than their portfolio has in the past.

I do hope that in the sale of the property, the overall design and architectural work also came with it so that we could still see original design built. I feel that this would be a perfect neighbor for Kensington Tower.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Here is their hotel portfolio...

https://dakotapacific.com/portfolio/
The ugliness of their portfolio worries me... hopefully they stick to the previous design.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 10:38 PM

Development about 450 south to 600 South, 300 West to 400 West, about 1/2 block south of Pioneer Park. The article says the "Post District' has something to do with the fact they are incorporating the old Newspaper Agency Corp production facility but I don't get the tie in.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/sal...-exist-before/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
While their portfolio doesn't have much height to it, the Regent Hotel location also may be the smallest location in their portfolio meaning they would have to build taller than their portfolio has in the past.

I do hope that in the sale of the property, the overall design and architectural work also came with it so that we could still see original design built. I feel that this would be a perfect neighbor for Kensington Tower.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with for that particular size lot. Most of their portfolio seems to be suburban style development. While I wish they would keep the original design I would be surprised if they did. I like what they're proposing for Vineyard in Ut. County and what they've done in Park City and Holladay, those are more of the quality of design and materials that that plot on Regent deserves.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 18, 2019 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 10:54 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
It will be interesting to see what they come up with for that particular size lot. Most of their portfolio seems to be suburban style development. While I wish they would keep the original design I would be surprised if they did. I like what they're proposing for Vineyard in Ut. County and what they've done in Park City and Holladay, those are more of the quality of design and materials that that plot on Regent deserves.
DP is much more than what you see there. They have lots of holdings in the Midwest, a big presence in KC and are tied to Woodbury locally. Even though their projects under management on the site look suburban they have equity stakes in multiple towers.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:00 PM

^^^
That's encouraging Marv. Also sounds like these guys definitely have the wherewithal to get a project going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
Development about 450 south to 600 South, 300 West to 400 West, about 1/2 block south of Pioneer Park. The article says the "Post District' has something to do with the fact they are incorporating the old Newspaper Agency Corp production facility but I don't get the tie in.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/sal...-exist-before/
This development sounds pretty exciting. I really like what the developer is saying!

Quote: During a recent tour and interview, Blaser stressed the development’s adaptive reuse, noting that five existing buildings on the site will be retrofitted, and no two buildings will be designed alike by different architects.

“You destroy the soul of a city when you knock down every building,” Blaser said, who added that the development will include space for artists who currently work in the area.

Last edited by delts145; Nov 17, 2019 at 1:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West