HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Maybe instead of dumping money into a crossing that money could be used for some kind of light transit on the North Shore? They probably could also look at some transit along the highway as a bypass to all the congested arterials with bus only lanes.
You must've missed this one. Two other lines (one for each crossing) are in the works.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
You must've missed this one. Two other lines (one for each crossing) are in the works.
Yeah, this is the fantasy thread which is why we're talking about a Burrard Skytrain. If it's going to cost a few billion they're probably better off making light transit across the North Shore and then dealing with bridge traffic through future mobility pricing.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
INSTPP 2018 study

So what did they get wrong here?
I think they assumed a rapid transit link from the north shore to Brentwood / Metrotown without also having a rapid transit line on Hastings to connect to downtown. Without a Hastings line in place first, rapid transit across the second narrows isn't going to pick up any traffic heading downtown. However they didn't state their assumptions so it's hard to know for sure.

Even an underground skytrain tunnel via Stanley park would be hard pressed to beat the seabus for a trip from lower lonsdale to waterfront. The sea bus isn't fast, but it's a straight line trip with no stops and that counts for a lot.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottN View Post
I think they assumed a rapid transit link from the north shore to Brentwood / Metrotown without also having a rapid transit line on Hastings to connect to downtown. Without a Hastings line in place first, rapid transit across the second narrows isn't going to pick up any traffic heading downtown. However they didn't state their assumptions so it's hard to know for sure.

Even an underground skytrain tunnel via Stanley park would be hard pressed to beat the seabus for a trip from lower lonsdale to waterfront. The sea bus isn't fast, but it's a straight line trip with no stops and that counts for a lot.
And in the next 15-20 years there probably isn't going to be any population density increases like you'll see out in Surrey or Burnaby.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah, this is the fantasy thread which is why we're talking about a Burrard Skytrain. If it's going to cost a few billion they're probably better off making light transit across the North Shore and then dealing with bridge traffic through future mobility pricing.
That's just it - TransLink's already planning light transit across the North Shore in the form of BRT. Eventually they'll need something heavier.

Quote:

Technical report:

Quote:
Preliminary demand forecasting suggests focusing on connecting Lonsdale City Centre with downtown Vancouver and not considering an extension across the Second Narrows.
So they're going off current traffic. Apparently there's more people going between the North Shore and the CoV than Coq/Burnaby/Surrey combined.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 2:26 AM

Yea I'm not sure why the INSTPP didn't think about the possibility of integrating with a potential Hastings RT via a crossing at Second Narrows (especially considering they know Hastings is already a b-line).

Having a line to Metrotown/Joyce would not serve enough demand... INSTPP's own report shows more of traffic goes to/from Vancouver.

Phibbs & Lonsdale Quay are very different. The Seabus' catchment area isn't that vast, as it primarily serves Lolo. Move further away from the Quay and you'd be faster taking the bus via either bridge. If you're at Cap Mall you're bussing through Lions Gate not Seabus.

Seabus catchment:

Bus 210 is also a good indicator... Lynn Valley traffic isn't sent to Seabus, it's sent through Phibbs.

Also wondering if Lynn Valley, Lower Lynn and Maplewood Village are 3 of the town centres in the OCP (LINK), and with CapU just north of Lynn Creek, would that be a rival to LoLo and we'd be more effective to serve these sections that aren't effectively served by seabus by offering a rail hub from Phibbs that north shore bus lines can pour into? Lynn Creek between Keith and Main will be 6,000 residents alone. Maplewoods another 3k plus 4.5k jobs there.

And we could also look at this as "which route better serves the density potential along the way". Hastings / Second Narrows line would give more potential along its way. It's not just about the endpoint.

Whereas, extending Waterfront to LoLo, it's tough to imagine that it "provides flexibility" for any future extension up Lonsdale considering its steepness, let alone go up-and-across to Lynn Valley as someone suggested earlier. As for the other suggestion of an "Ambleside to Dollarton" RT line, would it be a separate line with a mid-point transfer at Lonsdale Quay to go to Waterfront Stn? Unless this "Amblesidde to Dollarton" line contains a lot of high density station hubs, an East-West RT line not worth it, and a rapidbus is adequate. For example, going west from Phibbs Exchange to Lonsdale Quay, I cannot imagine any stretch along Main - Low Level - Esplanade that can add density to the extent that warrants a station... until you reach Lonsdale. (at most a station at Brooksbank / Park & Tilford if they plan a high-density hub there). Definitely a much better density potential along Hastings to Phibbs ALONG THE ROUTE than Waterfront to Lonsdale Quay.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyin View Post
Whereas, extending Waterfront to LoLo, it's tough to imagine that it "provides flexibility" for any future extension up Lonsdale considering its steepness, let alone go up-and-across to Lynn Valley as someone suggested earlier. As for the other suggestion of an "Ambleside to Dollarton" RT line, would it be a separate line with a mid-point transfer at Lonsdale Quay to go to Waterfront Stn? Unless this "Amblesidde to Dollarton" line contains a lot of high density station hubs, an East-West RT line not worth it, and a rapidbus is adequate. For example, going west from Phibbs Exchange to Lonsdale Quay, I cannot imagine any stretch along Main - Low Level - Esplanade that can add density to the extent that warrants a station... until you reach Lonsdale. (at most a station at Brooksbank / Park & Tilford if they plan a high-density hub there). Definitely a much better density potential along Hastings to Phibbs ALONG THE ROUTE than Waterfront to Lonsdale Quay.
In case you missed it, waves already figured out an alignment.

Yeah, Ambleside-Dollarton should be a separate line. Let's not act like North Van is a desert, though - if King Ed and Nanaimo/29th justify stations in spite of their low density, the new townhomes and midrises in the substation area do as well.

As for why Lonsdale, see above. A Hastings Line can always be built on its own.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 3:33 AM

Quote:

In all of my fantasies, I would never give up the Sea Bus. My Hastings extension's (crossing Second Narrows and then west to Park Royal) main purpose was to give an East/West rail solution while being a relief line to the Seabus as a convenient secondary side-effect.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 8:28 AM

Quote:
In case you missed it, waves already figured out an alignment.

Yeah, Ambleside-Dollarton should be a separate line. Let's not act like North Van is a desert, though - if King Ed and Nanaimo/29th justify stations in spite of their low density, the new townhomes and midrises in the substation area do as well.

As for why Lonsdale, see above. A Hastings Line can always be built on its own.
With the combination of steep grades and sharp turns I'm not sure Wave's Lonsdale alignment would be feasible. If it was, it might not be particularly rapid through that stretch. Some of the stations are rather deep too. Maybe this is all ok to avoid a transfer at Lonsdale Quay?

Since this is the fantasy thread, how about a rack railway to handle the grade and just go straight up Lonsdale? Anybody know of any urban rack railways out there? I know that in Switzerland there are several narrow gauge mountain railways that mix rack and normal adhension operation with the rack sections going up to 20% or 25% grade. Certainly there aren't any mix rack and LIM propsultion systems out there . . . yet!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 9:27 AM

Moving people out of busses and into skytrain doesn't solve any of the north shore's traffic and infrastructure problems. Maybe a park and ride solution could work? When skytrain was first extended to surrey it was just Scott Road station in a big parking lot with a bus loop. Although I'm not sure where you could put such a parking lot on the north shore where people trying to drive to it wouldn't just get stuck in bridge traffic and contribute to overall gridlock.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 9:27 AM

Quote:
With the combination of steep grades and sharp turns I'm not sure Wave's Lonsdale alignment would be feasible. If it was, it might not be particularly rapid through that stretch. Some of the stations are rather deep too. Maybe this is all ok to avoid a transfer at Lonsdale Quay?

Since this is the fantasy thread, how about a rack railway to handle the grade and just go straight up Lonsdale? Anybody know of any urban rack railways out there? I know that in Switzerland there are several narrow gauge mountain railways that mix rack and normal adhension operation with the rack sections going up to 20% or 25% grade. Certainly there aren't any mix rack and LIM propsultion systems out there . . . yet!
Except you don't need a rack railway on the alignment, just a subway (at least if you're trying to get to Lynn Valley and Commerical Broadway). Also, rack railways are slow.

He did a grade analysis as well.

And it's less sharp in turns than the Evergreen connection at Lougheed Stn. Except the connection at Lonsdale, which could (and should be) made wider, considering there's pretty much nothing stopping that.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 10:03 AM

With regards to Waves's proposal, I recall the discussion from a while back. At the time, I was asking about alternatives to a full tunnel, but I don't think I was clear in what I was proposing. I've modded part of Waves's image to show what I mean:

Is it possible/practical to build a trestle underwater to support the train tunnel, so as to reduce the overall depth? Yes, water pressure is a factor, but if we can build immersed tube tunnels and sunken floating tunnels, this should be feasible as well. Thoughts?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Except you don't need a rack railway on the alignment, just a subway (at least if you're trying to get to Lynn Valley and Commerical Broadway). Also, rack railways are slow.

He did a grade analysis as well.

And it's less sharp in turns than the Evergreen connection at Lougheed Stn. Except the connection at Lonsdale, which could (and should be) made wider, considering there's pretty much nothing stopping that.
Rack railways are only slow when they are using the rack. On flatter sections they can run at faster speeds (i.e. 80-100 km/h or so) without the rack. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zentralbahn for example. Going straight up Lower Lonsdale is an average grade of 8.5% for 1km. Take out 200m two for stations and the grade between stations goes to 10% or so. I don't think this section would be any slower under rack operations than a longer switchbacking line with sharp curves since the curves would limit the operational speed.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
With regards to Waves's proposal, I recall the discussion from a while back. At the time, I was asking about alternatives to a full tunnel, but I don't think I was clear in what I was proposing. I've modded part of Waves's image to show what I mean:

Is it possible/practical to build a trestle underwater to support the train tunnel, so as to reduce the overall depth? Yes, water pressure is a factor, but if we can build immersed tube tunnels and sunken floating tunnels, this should be feasible as well. Thoughts?
Basically a floating tunnel? You'd be changing construction mode underwater. Unless there's a reason it's not a good idea to drill a deep borehole, the KISS principle probably applies here.

Quote:
Rack railways are only slow when they are using the rack. On flatter sections they can run at faster speeds (i.e. 80-100 km/h or so) without the rack. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zentralbahn for example. Going straight up Lower Lonsdale is an average grade of 8.5% for 1km. Take out 200m two for stations and the grade between stations goes to 10% or so. I don't think this section would be any slower under rack operations than a longer switchbacking line with sharp curves since the curves would limit the operational speed.
Quote:
Rack railways are only slow when they are using the rack.
That's my point. Also, I don't think Skytrain can use racks, so you're stuck with using LRT rolling stock. Which may make the tunnel more expensive (assuming grade separated) than boring a deeper Skytrain Tunnel- only Lower Lonsdale is steep. Upper Lonsdale has a grade closer to 2%, so you'd get space to 'catch up'.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
And then some populist politician desperate for votes comes in and screws it up.

It makes no sense for tolls to be on the 2nd Narrows and not the Port Mann and Golden Ears.

Quote:
You misunderstood my suggestion, it was not a "3-pronged line". It was:

Phase 1: Build a Hastings Line from downtown Vancouver to near the Ironworkers Memorial Crossing, then cross over to Phibbs Exchange (or a similar bus/SkyTrain hub in that area). That gets rapid transit along Hastings and gives another connection from the North Shore, drawing on the population in the Seymour area, the rapidly developing Lynnmour area and the proposed Maplewood developments in addition to existing transit routes that feed into Phibbs.

Phase 2: Extend the Hastings Line further east to cover northern Burnaby, alternating trains between the North Shore and Burnaby as with the Richmond/Airport service.

Phase 3: Separate the North Shore spur from the Hastings Line and extend it to create a new line running north-south to connect with all three east-west lines (Hastings, Millenium and Expo).

That's only one small part of what I said. Burnaby, however, is far easier to build in and is a much more compact municipality. Even with the estimates you've made about the North Shore, it still stretches all the way from Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove - with lots of hard-to-build bits. Obviously the targets would increase, but you're not likely to ever see the same sort of density as with other municipalities. I'm not saying SkyTrain will never be needed, but when you look at projections in that RGS that have 2021 Burnaby, Tri-Cities, and Delta/Richmond/Tsawwassen all having larger populations than the entire North Shore two decades from now, one has to question what the most effective use of limited transit dollars might be. Again, I'm not saying "no" to higher-capacity transit, just arguing that there are more viable interim measures before a SkyTrain-level service is built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTerminalCity View Post
One of the North Shore's challenges is the topography places limits not just on readily-developable area but also on movement. The opportunity for a line over the Second Narrows to Phibbs, like you mention, would provide the substantive alternative option to driving. All the more so if a Skytrain at Phibbs extending westward roughly parallel to Marine all the way to Park Royal.

This also supports the development happening on the North Shore (Phibbs/Seylynn, Lower Lonsdale, Cap Mall, Capilano Hwy, Park Royal), which can further reinforce that main east-west corridor. Would also support the Lonsdale Quay as a hub, with Seabus and bus connections existing already and growth of population and destinations would occur around a high-capacity transit line with good access to both downtown Vancouver but the balance of the Lower Mainland through Second Narrows.

Whether that is worth the cost of extending a Skytrain across the inlet is another question, especially when the bulk of population growth is happening elsewhere in the region and the availability of funding for the various competing transit priorities.
In 1986? Also, Western West Van is basically completely irrelevant to possible transit service (they don't want it anyways) and the NS has much more developable greenfield than Burnaby. Not to mention anything going in that direction is likely to terminate in Ambleside (if it even goes beyond Park Royal) on one side and Phibbs on another. Removing the irrelevant lands actually makes it a better deal in terms than Burnaby, other than the inlet separating everything.

It's also important to point out that Richmond also went from 'discouraged under RGS' to 'encouraged under RGS'.

I'd like to also point out you're also only focusing on a small part of what I said. Comparing municipalities that are artificially kept small to those without those limitations is ridiculous. A mid-Harbour crossing would work for Suburban-Suburban transfers as well as DT transfers, 2nd Narrows only works for the former. Which, as Migrant Coconut said, makes it very niche.

Also, the area around Marine Dr. up to Ambleside and Pibbs is more or less a perfect grid. The area was developed long before everything else in the valley. Same thing with Upper Lonsdale.

Quote:
Maybe? Local stations like are fine; it's the downtown and hub stations that're getting East Coast foot traffic.

Crystal Mall's not necessarily a problem - detour to McKay, then Imperial, then Boundary gets you to the River District (admittedly, it'll be a sharp turn off Willingdon unless it can go under/through the SFHs).

Having a real hard time finding a source for that one. Far as I know, that section of Waterfront was just part of the wall.

Again, stations elsewhere in downtown means that passengers leaving/heading there are on the train, not adding to the CBD loop's entrances.
On another note, a relief line from Roundhouse to Stadium could also reroute Canada/Expo transfers without funneling them through the loop.

Assuming a start at Metrotown, Renfrew's easier to access from the M-Line at Commercial, and Sunrise/PNE from a bus at 29th or Joyce-Collingwood. A Hastings-Willingdon Line could change that more significantly than B-Lines/RapidBuses.

I'm suggesting that we take the existing docks and make them SeaBus-sized. They only need to be larger, not deeper or calmer.
Yes, Skytrain is. It was originallydesigned for 16,000pphpd (as Zwei will constantly remind you), and if we haven't reached it by now, we will soon. We're upgrading the system to go beyond that because the system as a whole wasn't designed for the foot traffic it's getting.

So what you're saying if we should build a West End subway?

And a relief line between Stadium and Yaletown... doesn't sound worth it. People going to Richmond from the East are going to be using the Broadway.

Yeah, I don't know either. Either way, Translink does not make that much money off its RE. It could- and should on its DT Stations (esp. Waterfront), but losing their money isn't that big a deal. An MTR Mall, the Waterfront shops are not. On the grand scheme of things, the amount of money TransLink makes off retail is negligible (0.5M is nothing when the Translink budget is in the Billions- it's literally couch pennies)
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tran...n-retail-space
https://www.mtr.com.hk/en/corporate/...g_centres.html

I'm not too concerned about the River District (it's not worth building a Skytrain line down there just for 1 megadevelopment), but I am about getting there from the north (BCIT). To get to Metrotown Station requires a connection 1 block east. Either you demo Crystal Mall, the Burnaby Public Library, or go under the SFH and medium-density zoned properties to the north. Though, I THINK the BC government owns the land underground unless stated otherwise, but mineral rights =/= subsurface rights(https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/fa...nfoupdate7.pdf).
Care to help?

Yeah, maybe. But if a line connecting to the Millennium only gets you limited relief, than extending it to the Expo won't either if it's only the in-between stops that benefit. The line is necessary for other reasons, but not for relief. You'd be better spending money on commuter rail if that was your goal.

Sir, the SeaBus terminus on Waterfront is 72m wide x 83m long. Unless you can operate it off 1 berth, it's pretty wide. The existing Kits and Ambleside docks are not good for such a service. The latter one is not designed for boat docking at all, and the former is 15min away from an LRT Station on Pennyfarthing.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Moving people out of busses and into skytrain doesn't solve any of the north shore's traffic and infrastructure problems. Maybe a park and ride solution could work? When skytrain was first extended to surrey it was just Scott Road station in a big parking lot with a bus loop. Although I'm not sure where you could put such a parking lot on the north shore where people trying to drive to it wouldn't just get stuck in bridge traffic and contribute to overall gridlock.
It does though. You got people off grade, leaving more space for everything else. Also presumably there's less car use per capita.

Hmm... You wouldn't put one (at least at grade) at Lonsdale even if you could. 2nd Narrows is a terrible crossing- leaving the Capilano Reserve on the 1st Narrows, on a part of Marine Drive that tends to get congested. Upper Lonsdale is basically just giving Skytrain to the NS.

Scott Road was kind of a temporary thing too. They continued the line to Surrey Central soon after. So if that's the way for things to go... you'd be building Skytrain across the NS?

Quote:
And in the next 15-20 years there probably isn't going to be any population density increases like you'll see out in Surrey or Burnaby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyin View Post
Yea I'm not sure why the INSTPP didn't think about the possibility of integrating with a potential Hastings RT via a crossing at Second Narrows (especially considering they know Hastings is already a b-line).

Having a line to Metrotown/Joyce would not serve enough demand... INSTPP's own report shows more of traffic goes to/from Vancouver.

Phibbs & Lonsdale Quay are very different. The Seabus' catchment area isn't that vast, as it primarily serves Lolo. Move further away from the Quay and you'd be faster taking the bus via either bridge. If you're at Cap Mall you're bussing through Lions Gate not Seabus.

Seabus catchment:

Bus 210 is also a good indicator... Lynn Valley traffic isn't sent to Seabus, it's sent through Phibbs.

Also wondering if Lynn Valley, Lower Lynn and Maplewood Village are 3 of the town centres in the OCP (LINK), and with CapU just north of Lynn Creek, would that be a rival to LoLo and we'd be more effective to serve these sections that aren't effectively served by seabus by offering a rail hub from Phibbs that north shore bus lines can pour into? Lynn Creek between Keith and Main will be 6,000 residents alone. Maplewoods another 3k plus 4.5k jobs there.

And we could also look at this as "which route better serves the density potential along the way". Hastings / Second Narrows line would give more potential along its way. It's not just about the endpoint.

Because it's a Regional study? And either way, it wouldn't change the metrics much. People going to DT will still use the Seabus over the 2nd Narrows.

No, because they'd have to have a LOT of catching up to do to get to Lonsdale. And like the City of Langley vs the Township of Langley, the City of North Van is less NIMBY in general than the District of North Van. It's also sort of like how Lougheed/Brentwood isn't going to beat Metrotown despite the former two closer location to SFU and BCIT, respectively. Metrotown is still Burnaby's DT.

Literally the entire Marine Drive Corridor from Ambleside to Phibbs is lined with FTDA land. http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...nMapPoster.pdf
Also, compare the NIMBYness of the CoNV vs the DTES, Chinatown, and Grandview-Woodlands.

The Lynn Valley Spur is the one that's not worth it- and I would think you'd want to get it to Upper Lonsdale/Hwy1 to get the TBM out of the tunnel more easily anyways, even if it's not as necessary. But yes, the stations in Lower Lonsdale would have to be very deep, which is not exactly cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be the new deepest Skytrain stations in the network.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 10:21 PM

Also, I've come up with some 1st Narrows crossing ideas off a napkin since you guys seem want to use one of the Narrows so much. All are comparable or faster to the Seabus (12min). I didn't do any grade calculations, but it shouldn't be too bad on that aspect, as they're pretty similar to the old proposed 3rd crossings from the DT freeway days.

Direct-to-Lonsdale, 9.375 min. The fastest option, but ignores any important stuff between Lonsdale and Waterfront. Faster than even Waves' proposal.

Waterfront-to-Lonsdale via Lion's Gate Village, 12.219 min.

Waterfront-to-Lonsdale via West End and Lion's Gate Village, 13.667 min.

All assume no transfers.

Last edited by fredinno; Feb 11, 2020 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 5:22 AM

Quote:

Waterfront-to-Lonsdale via West End and Lion's Gate Village, 13.667 min.
All assume no transfers.
Since this is the only option that doesn't skip Coal Harbour and the west end I think it's the only one that is politically feasible. Note that it would be slower than the seabus for Lonsdale - Waterfront trips, but faster than transferring to the seabus coming from any other station. So there's really no point to interchanging with the seabus at all. As such I think it would be better to go along 3rd rather than Esplanade because the stations would pick up a larger catchment and it would be closer for transferring bus riders.

Note that even Waves' Commercial Drive option is only marginally faster than Skytrain if you are going from Lonsdale Quay to waterfront, and even then only if there is a Hastings Skytrain in place. The total distance via Hastings is about 7km which ought to take about 9 minutes. However if you are going just about anywhere else (i.e. Broadway or Metrotown or even other parts of downtown) then Skytrain via Commercial Drive is far superior to Seabus, and to a first narrows option.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Basically a floating tunnel? You'd be changing construction mode underwater. Unless there's a reason it's not a good idea to drill a deep borehole, the KISS principle probably applies here.
Floating tunnel? No, not at all, the train tube would be fully supported by a trestle. The whole point would be to reduce the depth needed for the crossing, and also the depths of some of the tunnels.

Quote:
Same thing with Upper Lonsdale.
For clarity, I'm presuming that you mean Central Lonsdale? Upper Lonsdale is the part above the freeway, which is mostly residential (and largely single-family homes once you leave the City for the District).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Note that even Waves' Commercial Drive option is only marginally faster than Skytrain if you are going from Lonsdale Quay to waterfront, and even then only if there is a Hastings Skytrain in place. The total distance via Hastings is about 7km which ought to take about 9 minutes. However if you are going just about anywhere else (i.e. Broadway or Metrotown or even other parts of downtown) then Skytrain via Commercial Drive is far superior to Seabus, and to a first narrows option.
It's slower by 1-2 minutes, but it's also capable of 9x the frequency. Even with the increased service, just barely missing the SeaBus and waiting ten minutes for the next one is an absolute PITA.

At any rate, this - but with 3rd instead of Esplanade, as you suggested - is a good alignment that kills a lot of birds with one stone.

Quote:
I think the best defence here is a good offence. An extended alignment all the way to Lynn via Lonsdale (complete with bus loop and park & ride) could stop a lot of car trips right at the source. Now the people up on the higher slopes, they might be a problem...

Quote:
Floating tunnel? No, not at all, the train tube would be fully supported by a trestle. The whole point would be to reduce the depth needed for the crossing, and also the depths of some of the tunnels.
Just going to repeat the previous counterpoints:
- An underwater trestle would involve heavier bridge supports that can handle the weight of the immersed tube and tidal forces.
- Underwater construction is expensive; doubly so because ~50m at the Second Narrows is too deep for even scuba divers, so you'd need to do it like an oil rig, or with ROVs.
- Apparently there are submersible trains now, but those would likely be super expensive too.

In other words, no matter how you do it, you're not saving much. You might actually spend more money that way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure