HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 6:17 AM
my posse's on broadway

well the basis for these comparisons is so far gone in relativity that it becomes a matter of perspective.

but i think the point is that sacramento's tall buildings are dispersed in small clusters. but the fact that the city center is so small, makes them seem like their actually together sometimes. por ejemplo... we have cap mall, then skip to the J Street and the edge of downtown on the border of midtown by the sheraton and esquire plaza. then there's the north end of downtown with the couple Federal buildings and the EPA. these tall building fan out over the entire DT area. they're not in a dense heap like SF.

NYC has the skyscrapers of the financial district, then they disapate in greenwich village, then pop up again in midtown and so on. I think sacramento will see development "like" this because of the historic neighborhoods that surround a booming downtown and the clean slate of Richards/Railyards area. think about the 2-3 story homes in the Mansion and Alkali Flats hoods that will be sammiched between DT and those sites. they're already talking 12+ story buildings in Township 9, and that's coming sooner than later.

Last edited by TowerDistrict; Mar 10, 2007 at 7:04 AM. Reason: harar hakim stout

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 6:59 AM
Resu Deretsiger

this is what i see from work everyday UPS-west sac. I don't know why I never realized that I had a camera phone to take pictures, and I'm pretty drunk right now

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 7:20 AM

True that homeboy.. I know it's a very long streach to compare Sactown w/ Chicago but you get what I'm saying.

There really is a only one glob of towers in SF although it's spread over a fairly large area --FD/SOMA/US ... I think if we were to NYC it up here in Sacramento there would be the highrises downtown and then a second group of highrises around the CCF-Sutter Village-Alhambra Corridor.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 7:24 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

^ And the potential railyards would add another sizeable cluster.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 6:48 PM

Downtown, from up high
In choosing penthouse life instead of a suburban lawn, Jeff and Kelly Kwoka symbolize a new day in Sacramento living
By Bob Sylva - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PST Saturday, March 10, 2007
Story appeared in unknown section, Page CALIFORNIA LIFE15

Jeff and Kelly Kwoka recently moved into a downtown project of 225 units at 8th and J streets. With a wall of floor-to-ceiling windows, the couple has one of the best views in the city.

Every weekday around 5 p.m., as if in response to a factory whistle, waves of workers race to evacuate Sacramento's downtown.

But in leaving, in joining the frozen stream of taillights along I-80 or I-5 or Highway 99, these commuters miss out on a magical transformation. This moment of dazzlement when rays from the setting sun turn molten in thousands of windows in dozens of now-empty downtown office buildings.

It's a spectacular adieu. And fleeting. After the radiance reaches a shimmery crescendo, the sun slowly pales, dissipates, and the panes drain of fire. Soon, the city is cloaked by the rumor of evening.

"This is my favorite time of the day," says Kelly Kwoka, standing on her balcony as the light in her J Street loft, once gaudy, even theatrical, becomes subdued, turning to pastels of pink and violet. Then, as though a vault door were shut, the cars gone, the city is perfectly still. And the Kwokas, happily marooned, have downtown all to themselves.

Meet the Kwokas, Jeff and Kelly. In many respects, from the standpoint of city planners and redevelopment strategists, these two could be called Mr. and Mrs. Ideal. In the costly effort to revitalize downtown, to justify the millions spent in public subsidies, the Kwokas are what everyone has waited for: upscale tenants. A young couple, professional, with disposable income, who are eager to pursue an urban lifestyle in all its charm, fashion and peril.

In fact, they're better than ideal.

Jeff Kwoka is 33, a U.S. Air Force major stationed at Beale Air Force Base in Marysville. At Beale, he is a computer "mouse jockey," flying the Global Hawk, a remote-controlled, high-endurance reconnaissance plane that snoops Iraq and Afghanistan at 60,000 feet.

Just home from work, Jeff Kwoka sweeps through the door, clad in his zippered green flight suit and polished black boots. He looks like a recruitment poster. He is tall, dark and Top Gun handsome.

Kelly Kwoka is 27, a graphic designer with long brown hair and an artistic flair. At 6-foot-2, she long wondered if she would ever find a man to match her stature. Then one year at a Halloween party in Durham, N.C., Jeff Kwoka, at 6-foot-4, flew into the room in a dashing Batman outfit. She swooned.

It may take a superhero to rescue Gotham.

The Kwokas live downtown. Not midtown. Not in Alkali Flat or Boulevard Park or Poverty Ridge. Or one of the domesticated sectors that ring the city center. No, they live downtown, where for years the only residents were SRO pensioners, winos and pigeons. In fact, the Kwokas are charter tenants at Ground Zero.

The Kwokas live at 800J Lofts. This is the first, if not the most critical, of many such loft projects, all designed to lure residents downtown. Built by CIM Group of Los Angeles at a cost of $48 million, 800J Lofts occupies a prime city block. It offers an on-site concierge, 24-hour security, a fitness center, parking. Its 225 units (half are leased) range in size from 500 to 1,300 square feet; rents run from $1,500 to $3,000 a month. It's a loft litmus test.

The Kwokas live in a penthouse on the seventh floor. Their 900-square-foot, L-shaped, one-bedroom unit features bamboo flooring, a 15-foot ceiling, stainless steel appliances and a wall that is floor-to-ceiling glass. Rent is $2,600.

That's a lot of money. But step out onto the Kwoka's French-style balcony and one owns a lot of the city: City Hall, Cesar Chavez Plaza, the Cal-EPA Building, the Elks Temple, the 916 J St. Building (now being refurbished as a boutique hotel), the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament, the Hyatt Regency hotel, the state Capitol.

And it's not just the landmarks that stun. It's the perspective, from a leather sectional on the seventh floor, and the poetic juxtaposition: fleecy clouds, swooping crows, a din of cars, the heads of unwary pedestrians. An array of urban rooftops -- pipes, ducts, brick, masonry, the mosaic of windows, the corroded splendor of dangling, back-alley fire escapes.

The view is revealing. The Kwokas, still learning their way about Sacramento, daily glimpse a cityscape that natives can only imagine.

The Kwokas are Florida natives. Jeff grew up in Palm Springs; Kelly is from Orlando. He has a degree in geographic information systems from the University of South Florida in Tampa; she, a diploma in graphic arts from North Carolina State in Raleigh.

They dated for five years. While Kelly worked for an ad agency in Durham, Jeff, a C-130 pilot, was flying missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

How to reconcile two divergent careers?

Better yet, how to live on the same continent?

Jeff had two options: to become a C-130 flight instructor in Little Rock, Ark., or to join a pioneering mission of the Global Hawk at Beale. For her part, Kelly wanted to move to New York City. "Sex and the City" is her favorite TV show, and her dream was always to be a sophisticated Manhattanite.

Marysville was a compromise. Jeff would fly at Beale; Kelly would find a job in "nearby" San Francisco. But then she discovered the cost of living, to say nothing of the commute, to be exorbitant even for a pilot. So she did some piloting of her own.

"I Googled 'Sacramento and skyline,' " says Kelly, noting the results. The Tower Bridge at night. The state Capitol. All the trees. It wasn't Manhattan. "But it looked appealing to me," she says. "It was bigger than Raleigh and better than Little Rock."

They moved here in October 2005. Considered buying a house at first. But after sampling the market, they decided to rent an apartment at Governor's Square, at Third and O streets. Kelly got a job at Sol Design, a division of Glass McClure at 27th and J. In a long-deferred detail, the couple married in May.

Meanwhile, 800J Lofts was nearing completion. Jeff is an avid cyclist. "I recall riding my bike by this place," he says. "Everything (on J Street) seemed abandoned. I remember thinking to myself, 'Who would ever want to live here? There's nothing here!' "

Who? Did he really have to ask?

After attending a Concert in the Park event last summer, Kelly and Jeff took a tour of the project. Stepped into the vacant penthouse on the seventh floor. Kelly fell in love with the view. Wanted to lease the unit right then. Jeff was less taken, reasoning correctly that the space was half the size of their current apartment and twice the price.

Kelly saw it differently. They had good careers and no children, and who knew where Jeff might be transferred next? She wanted a sip of glamour, bright lights, cosmopolitans. This could be her only shot at "Sex and the City." Full of yearning, she says, "I just knew our lives would change if we got this place."

Recently, late one night, there was a three-car crash at the corner of Ninth and J streets, and one vehicle actually jumped the curb and smacked the building. Kelly, as though attending an urban opera, watched the events unfold from her balcony. She called 911.

Another night, they witnessed a violent argument on the sidewalk seven stories below, the raw anger rising up off the gritty asphalt like July heat. The couple had to close their thick, sliding glass door.

Then there are street cleaners at night, garbage trucks in the morning. Buses and light rail trains all day. "After dark, it has elements that are undesirable," Jeff says. "But I see where the city is going. I'm excited about that. When the new towers go in, there will be more people hanging around after dark. I think we got here at the right time. It's getting better. Just in the time we've been here."

Indeed, the couple hit all the hot new restaurants. They enjoy Second Saturdays, Antique Sundays, the Farmers Market. They shop at Safeway and the Natural Foods Co-op. Kelly hops a DASH bus to work; Jeff drives an economical Pontiac Vibe. Ever the pilot, he times his commute. Today's trip, he notes, clicking his chronograph, took 51 minutes, 31 seconds.

As for their unit, well, it's a lofty fishbowl. Certainly much smaller than their previous apartment, which had two bathrooms. "Now we have a 'keep nothing on the counter' rule," says Kelly of the shared vanity. The couple could use a dining table, too. But when you're young, in love, you could live in a closet.

"I love it!" says Kelly, whose life has indeed changed, improved, is romantic. "Working in midtown is great. My whole existence is 20 blocks. I live here. I work at 27th and J. I love the trees, the people, there is always something to do. (Sacramento) has the allure of a big city, the theater, the restaurants, but without all the hustle and bustle."

And then there's this.

On a clear night, the empty sidewalks are washed by street lamps. The cathedral spires rise above disbelieving rooftops, while the state Capitol beams in golden slumber. On K Street, the neon tip of the Crest Theatre's art deco marquee flickers off and on, off and on. It seems a signal of distress, or maybe a promise of future attractions.

This evening, the Kwokas, sitting side by side, encased in a glass canopy, soaring over the city on the seventh floor, have the view all to themselves.

Good advertisement...errrr article for urban living

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 7:46 PM

It doesn't sound like Kelly and Jeff are upset about not having a Starbucks downstairs.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 8:03 PM

Speaking of 800J, I just drove by and it looked like there were some tennat improvments going on There was at least one space being worked on, but I didn't get a look at the entire building so there could have been more.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 8:24 PM

Well good. They really need to get some tenants in there. I wonder if they're charging premium rents for the retail spots, like they are for the apartments. $2600 for a one bedroom? Yikes! It sounds like Jeff and Kelly have one of the best units in the place though, on the top floor with a balcony and the preferred north view.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
It doesn't sound like Kelly and Jeff are upset about not having a Starbucks downstairs.
Why would they be? There is a Starbucks across the street & round the coner on 9th St. in the US Bank Building, another one a block away on K Street next St. Rose "Park", and if they're in the walk'in mood there's others... K & 4th in the Downtown Plaza, 5th & I next to the Amtrak Depot, and yet another at the Convention Center.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 8:29 PM

For $2600 a month I want Starbucks in my lobby. The concierge can deliver my mochas to my room. I wonder if the concierge actually does make coffee runs for residents?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
For $2600 a month I want Starbucks in my lobby. The concierge can deliver my mochas to my room. I wonder if the concierge actually does make coffee runs for residents?
Ain't that the truth. It looks like nice digs though. If I only had the bank...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 10:54 PM

Daily Rant: I’m I the only one who thinks that the City’s proposed height zoning and those skyline scenarios are just a big waste of time and money. The City has shelves stacked full of reports and studies with recommendations that have never been followed. It gives “planners” a job I guess. I don’t like height restrictions in general just as I don’t think all home remodeling in older suburbs being restricted to avoid Mc Mansions. The design of each project should be the determining factor.

Question: And Do any of you know if Westfield has made their remodel plans public yet? I can't wait....

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Daily Rant: I’m I the only one who thinks that the City’s proposed height zoning and those skyline scenarios are just a big waste of time and money. The City has shelves stacked full of reports and studies with recommendations that have never been followed. It gives “planners” a job I guess. I don’t like height restrictions in general just as I don’t think all home remodeling in older suburbs being restricted to avoid Mc Mansions. The design of each project should be the determining factor.

Question: And Do any of you know if Westfield has made their remodel plans public yet? I can't wait....
Yes it's very stupid, there shouldnt be any height restrictions anywhere. Let the demand determine the height of projects. What are they scared of? Oh no, a developer wants to build a 20 story building in midtown, it's time to run for the hills. If a developer proposes a 20 story building in midtown and its viable, at that point midtown is probably ready for that density and shouldnt be stopped.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 6:30 AM
Kodachrome

Next week I'll be posting the shots from the top of 621CM... right now
I'm waiting for the powers that be from the towers contractor to approve them.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 7:21 AM

ah, so crisp, Innvo8. 621 is doing its part to fill in that gap in the skyline. Can't wait for the next set!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 8:06 AM

Between 621, Aura and 500 it really does fill in a large gap in the skyline, esp when going either direction on I-5

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 11:25 AM
Downtology

Nice shots, Innov8. I like how the mountains look in the background of the second pic.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 3:39 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

don't know if anyone has already posted this

Twelve

Twelve - Sacramento, CA
TWELVE is an urban infill project located in the Alkali Flat neighborhood / district that is complimented by Sacramento's Regional Transit (RT) with a station within 1500 feet of the Project TWELVE is comprise of 10 single family town home residences, 30 lofts, and 1,000+/- square feet of retail on the ground floor. Square footage ranges between 1289sf +/- -1631sf +/- for the town homes, and 803sf +/- - 2163sf +/- for the lots.

Coming into downtown from the up and coming Del Paso area, 12th Street is the main collector street to which downtown will eventually develop towards. TWELVE is being birth out of a one building historical district that is driving out creative vision for the project. By keeping the exterior of the building and adding atop of it, TWELVE is going to present a strong architectural statement throughout Sacramento.

Carlton Randle is the Project Manager of the TWELVE. Carlton can be reached at (916) 364-0279 EXT 106.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 4:29 PM

Evidently, they don't edit their press releases. There's about 10 errors that I noticed. How embarassing.

wow, I sound grumpy this morning...

Last edited by brandon12; Mar 11, 2007 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 5:41 PM

This Fresno Bee obituary for Stan Rys, a city planner from Fresno might be of interest to some here. After Sacramento Fresno is the Central Valley's "Second City" and Downtown Fresno struggles with some of the same issues as Downtown Sacramento. I bolded a couple of the most interesting passages.

Quote:
Retired architect had faith in Fresno

By Jim Steinberg / The Fresno Bee
03/08/07 00:08:09

Stan Rys, a retired architect and city planner, loved the new Fresno City Hall for its flowing lines and its promise of a growing, modern, vibrant downtown.

Mr. Rys, 80, who died Sunday of congestive heart failure, celebrated Fresno's developing urban life even as he rued the city's ceaseless peripheral spread. He lived with frustration over Fresno's lack of urban bustle, social life and arts that he had loved in Prague, in his native Czechoslovakia.

He earned his doctorate in urban design at Charles University in Prague, then did postdoctoral work in Rome. He spoke Czech, Italian, German, Russian, English, French and Spanish.

Mr. Rys was, in short, a worldly, intelligent, cosmopolitan designer and intellectual who imagined transforming Fresno into a city echoing the style and energy of Europe, his colleagues said.

"I called him my cosmopolitan, continental planner," said Harold Tokmakian, professor emeritus in city and regional planning at California State University, Fresno. "He raised the level of urban design and planning to a new level in Fresno."

Dave Herb, executive officer of the Madera County Local Agency Formation Commission, worked with Mr. Rys in the Fresno Redevelopment Agency. He called Mr. Rys "the dean of redevelopment planning. He brought with him the aura of the Old World master planner. He could feel the grand scale plan and the fine points of architectural details."

Mr. Rys was born in Brno, now the second-largest city in the Czech Republic. He and his wife, Anna, married in 1951. They had one daughter, Misha Rys Hofmann.

Mr. Rys worked on the reconstruction of war-torn Czechoslovakia.

"Prague was his favorite city, his golden city," Hofmann said. "He loved it."

He adopted Prague as his hometown, Anna Rys said, and "loved the architecture and history at every step."

Mr. Rys also loved travel, and was teaching at National University in Mexico City during the student riots of 1968. He took thousands of photographs, but police destroyed them.

Soviet troops invaded Czechoslovakia in 1968, and Mr. Rys decided to stay away. He worked for planning firms in St. Louis and Chicago, where he appreciated the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright.

He sought to introduce Fresno to the modern aesthetic of postwar Europe, Anna Rys said.

Despite frustrations, she said, her husband "absolutely" believed that downtown Fresno was improving. He proposed downtown lakes near the Fulton Mall. He said the city could renew itself a piece at a time.

His wife and daughter said he did his best to build a new Fresno as he had worked to build a new Europe.

The first word that James Hendricks, a Fresno developer and former redevelopment director, applied to Mr. Rys was "gentleman."

"He was loyal," Hendricks said. "His demeanor was calming. You always knew he was not a game-player. ... He was gracious."

A memorial service and celebration will be announced.

The family requests that any remembrance be sent to Nancy Hinds Hospice, 1616 W. Shaw Ave., Suite C-1, Fresno, CA 93711.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area