HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 5:54 PM

NEWARK NJ. New to the site and to photography. Opinions and tips plz

I attempted this in an earlier thread so lets hope the pics come up this time...and thanks to all who informed me in that thread about posting picks.

Ok so iv been looking through this site for the past couple weeks and have been amazed with all of the great photography Iv seen. I think its now time to promote my photos for the first time to everyone besides my gf. Iv only been doing this for about a month now so any tips and or opinions will be helpful.

I keep borrowing my dads dslr (finepix S3pro, 2 sigma lenses:24mm-70mm and 18mm-55mm). He thinks that im only experimenting locally and that I bring it to a particular course on campus but since im now addicted to photography I take it everywhere. Im a bad son....he'd be pissed if only he knew.

More threads to come. Lets start out with Newark NJ
*some of the double takes are just different settings..let me know if you prefer one over the other.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 6:00 PM

Love this shot:

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 6:18 PM

^^^ I also liked that one.

Nice work, and welcome aboard. We need more NJ photographers around here.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 7:02 PM

I got into photographing for same reason you did: seeing other people photos on SSP (and SSC). You made a good effort here, and Newark seems like a very interesting city. That bridge is probably the best here, and the second version is better because of the light trails.

As for tips, I'm not really sure what I could say. Perhaps you need to set the proper white balance as it seems to be all over the place, but it is hard to tell. And perhaps invest in a tripod for night photography, if you haven't already. Just keep experimenting and keep showing us the wonderful cities.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 1:57 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I plan on going back to Newark this upcoming week so prepare for more soon. Otherwise I need to post up my NYC, Jersey City, New Brunswick, and Boston photos.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 2:07 AM
Red October standing by

great pics so far...i love the above night shot and most of the other night shots.

1. check your framing...you cut off the tops of some stuff (flagpole, buildings)
2. i use a manual white balance at night...test it out and see what results you get and what you like
3. if you have manual controls, play with them.
4. set your ISO manually...and keep it low.
5. if you have a tripod for night, maybe try HDR shots...take 3 or more pics at different exposures and edit them together.

i look forward to seeing more.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 2:40 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

nice early morning work!

I drove from Millburn through the Oranges to Newark and across the Polaski the other day...wish I'd had my camera, whole other side of Newark and environs than you see from the NJ transit or the turnpike.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos